No bookings on Airbnb

No bookings on Airbnb

Hello all,

we would be really grateful for any hint or advise. We are not getting any booking here on Airbnb. We listed the same property with same prices on other site and we are getting bookings there, but not here. We would appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance.

Grateful

Mina

16 Replies 16
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Mi26 

The 3 listings you co-host are all in the search system:

https://www.airbnb.com/s/homes?host_id=360473794&map_toggle=true

i noticed there are reviews until aug 2020, so you probably relisted them recently ?

I only found the rules on the "photo" rather strict and there  are extra charges.

Not all of the rules are mentioned in the normal houserules-section.

The amenities state there is no kitchen (but the rules say there is one).

Hi Emiel1,

The property was always listed, we never removed it. That is why we were confused with a fact that we didn't receive any bookings.

Rules are not updated, I will update them, thanks for the tip.

Grateful

Mina

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Mi26 does the other site charge fees in the same way as Airbnb? On Airbnb our prices need to be approx 17% cheaper than on booking.com or the guest would pay a lot more with Airbnb due to the guest service fee being paid by the guest on Airbnb (split fee method) vs booking.com where it is all paid by the host.

The prices were adjusted to Airbnb but still no bookings  😞 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Mi26 I suspect you have two issues

1) International travel is severely constrained due to corona virus  and

2) People do not want to risk shared houses for the same reason.

@Mi26   I thought I was having deja vu, but no, you asked the same question last month: https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Why-are-we-not-receiving-bookings/m-p/1463938#M320331

Have you made any changes or tried a different strategy since then? 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Anonymous Isn't the definition of insanity something along the lines of doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result?

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Mi26 I would not take Airbnb's pricing suggestions: they are typically way too low. You're better off comparing yourself to the competition.

Your pictures show a kitchen and mention that there is cutlery available. I would remove those pictures and take away that amenity if those things aren't available. It seems to have caused issues with a couple of guests.

Maybe consider just renting out one room for a bit? Is there any way you could provide a private entrance and less contact? It might make your place more feasible during Covid. 

Thank you all for your comments.  Last time I asked and we did made some changes based on suggestions we received but nothing happen. That is why I asked again and since I couldn't find my last post I decided to post it again. Sorry for double post.

Alexandra316  cutlery is available in the kitchen. And we do have private entrance with reduced contact. The guests have their own space and since they have some amenities in the rooms they don't need to use kitchen.

Thank you for your suggestions again.

Grateful

Minja

@Mi26 Maybe you should make that clear in your listings. I don't see any mention of the entrance to the rooms being private (maybe I'm missing it). If it's shared with potentially two other rooms of people, though, I don't really think it's going to help. 

I use Airbnb as a guest as well as a host, and I wouldn't book with you due to all the rules. It just doesn't feel all that friendly or welcoming. I think it's good to set them, but when your pic number 2 is house rules and you go on to mention a bunch of restrictions on what's offered, I'm not really getting the warm and fuzzies. 

@Mi26   I can't tell what changes you've made, but when all else fails, sometimes the best thing you can do is wipe the slate clean and start over with a fresh new approach. 

As a starting point, try putting yourself in the mindset of a prospective guest. Imagine you're planning to visit Malta for the first time. You don't know much about the place yet - but you're attracted to the rich historical architecture, the beautiful scenery, and the pleasant climate. You don't have the budget for a luxury hotel, but it's your first time traveling after a miserable year under lockdown, so you want your stay to feel really special. You want your rental to be a fun part of your experience and not just a bed to crash in. So you pull up Airbnb and do a search to see what's available. (Go ahead, plug some dates in and do a search) . And wow even as soon as next weekend, there are a lot of appealing choices available. Look at the first photo on each search result and consider, which ones would you click on? The ones with colorful antique interior design? The sun-splashed rooftop terraces? The leafy gardens? The scenic views? The refreshing swimming pools? The cut-rate boutique hotels (currently a steal at 50 EUR per night)?  

Or does the photo that first catches your eye happen to be one of a brown bed and a trash can against a sad, empty white wall with the curtain closed? Is that the picture that makes you think "this would be a much more delightful place to stay than the others"?

I'm guessing not.

But OK, let's say you really like hosted homestays, so despite the depressing lead photo you click on it anyway. The next thing you see is a list of rules and a blurry toilet.  Wow, what fun. And then some nice photos of the common areas of the house, but relaxing in the kitchen or dining room is "strictly forbidden." And there's a pool, how nice, but you have to reserve it in advance and observe a strict 30 minute time limit - this sounds about as delightful as a trip to the dentist.  And while the description promises friendship and company, it's unclear what kind of interaction will occur, and with whom. And then there's the preponderance of cats. So you find yourself wondering how this is more appealing than a hotel room which is actually cheaper and more conveniently located? 

OK, end of hypothetical traveler story. @Mi26 I don't know what kind of places you personally like to stay since you have no reviews as a guest, but the joie de vivre that's apparent in your beautiful library, garden, and dining room seems very much the opposite of what you're offering in the guestroom and the hospitality experience. If you want to have more success in hosting, I'd strongly suggest that you take your listings down for maintenance. Re-do the drab room design to bring more passion and beauty, re-shoot the photos to be more appealing in search results, and replace the confusing listing description to give clarity about the complete experience of hospitality you're offering. And don't re-list until your listings are all so enticing that if you were the traveler, you would choose them over all your main competitors.

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

@Anonymous @Mi26 

This. 

Hint on showing any room: do not 'square' to them and try to capture the whole thing, best to photo the best  'piece' of it and let the imagination fill in the rest.

I am having the problem of not getting more inquiries and bookings suddenly. Idk what happened, I was getting inquiries and bookings but now, they stopped. I even lessen the prices for two listings and checked the position with no filters and it's on first page. What can be the solution to it?