No host protection from Airbnb

Charlie116
Level 2
Michigan, United States

No host protection from Airbnb

Hi All, 

I recently had a horrible experience with a guest. 

He was in town for a concert and had far too good of a time. He came to my home around 230am, being very loud and incondiserate of myself and other roommates. I woke up the next day to find that he had urinated all over my bathroom. His dog pooped on my carpet. He was alseep on my couch, which I later found out was because he spilled a large amount of alcohol on the mattress and it was soaked. He ruined a rug that was in the room and stained all of my towels. I had pictures of the bathroom and the mattress. 

For all of these reasons I charged him an extra $70. $35 because I couldnt host the next day and $35 for cleaning. Airbnb had to step in and mediate and favored the guest. 

Support suggested I include a cleaning fee moving forward. I do not want to do this though, because guests previously were never a problem. 

Any ideas on how to move forward? At this point I'm very angry with Airbnb and am considering not hosting any longer. 

16 Replies 16

Charlie, when my guests leave (meaning I pick them up in my case), I usually say "One sec I need to shut some things off" and of course my eyeballs roam the place. Goes over like it is not an inspection per se, but it sure is one. 😉

Ifeoma3
Level 2
Nigeria

It's really unfortunate that when the chips are down Airbnb leaves you hanging. 

I had a guest who because of COVID couldn't travel and also couldn't pay for the accommodation because he couldn't access his credit card according him. I contacted Airbnb and at the end of almost 3 months the guest left and Airbnb assured me that they will collect the money only for no one to respond to me after one month of telling me that $1044 was charged to his card and I will receive the payment. Today I got a message saying sorry the guest cancelled his credit card from Airbnb and hence there is nothing they can do.

This is really pathetic that Airbnb can't compensate me so please where is the protection in doing this a business. 

Please i need an advice on how to proceed on this.