No images nor reviews available? Really!?

Carl12
Level 8
Madrid, Spain

No images nor reviews available? Really!?

Whomever decided to remove both images and then now also the reviews for people wanting to stay in our home. I mean, who could agree with this?! I have had so many issues end of the year and also beginning of this year with people being super dirty and having parties. Neighbours are complaining and threatning to make an official complaint. Now I cannot even know who I am accepting anymore?! It is likely I will stop using airbnb after being a host for years as I find it totally unacceptable.

The whole point with Airbnb is that you have a more personal touch, you get invited to someones home rather than each guest being a number. 

7 Replies 7
Mark1128
Level 3
Steamboat Springs, CO

Hey Carl,

I agree, as Hosts we have to be more diligent than ever to make sure the guests renting our properties are going to conduct themselves as respectable human beings.

From my perspective, I see things coming full circle back to the days when you actually have to have a phone conversation with guests at least twice prior to their arrival, and at least once during their stay.  

In an age where most people are not interested in having an actual conversation with people over the phone, but instead are satisfied with email or electronic communications, the art of having a one on one conversation with someone has been lost.

If you think about it.  It seems kind of absurd, the we have accepted the idea of hiding behind text and electronic communications, and take that form of conversation as a way of vetting potential guests.

Having a conversation with someone in person or on the phone allows us to create a deeper connection with them, and in my experience, that connection can eliminate a lot of potential problems.

David3614
Level 1
Murdoch, Australia

Thanks for the warning - seems like it’s hard work. I’ve just started hosting .. any tips on how to actually screen ???? 

Call the guest right after they book and talk to them.  Then, make sure to reach out to them and have another conversation a couple of days prior to their arrival. 

Send them a text after their first night, and check in.  Two simple questions:

1.  How was your first night?

2.  Is there anything that needs attention in the property?

You may be thinking this is going to open up a can of worms.  But, it's a great way to flush out little things that may need attention or repair, and shows you care about the guest and your property.

It's added work on your end, but really doesn't take that much additional time, and increasing the odds of both you and the guest having a great experience is well worth it.

Vicky237
Level 1
Toronto, Canada

Hello. I’m also surprised at Airbnb’s new policy not to show guest photos. I’ve sent them my concern. They said I was the first person to complain. So please send your hosting complaints to them through the form on the page about guest photos. It is a new policy. 

Please ask that they allow hosts to see photos before accepting a reservation as the photo, reviews, and messages work together to form the key ingredients that allow us to know if we feel safe and secure renting to people in our homes. 

Daniel1598
Level 10
Fairfax, VA

@Carl12 A couple days ago we had a good discussion on the absence of profile pictures. I hope that it is informative for you. Here is the link:

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Guest-profile-picture/td-p/951661

Daniel

@Carl12 

I've said this multiple times........why can guests see everything about me and my home but I get to see absolutely nothing about the guest? Very unfair and one-sided. 

Till now, most of the guests I end up accepting have been very upfront in their introduction of themself, the reason they are in Seoul and their message is clear they have read my listing and my house rules. I get good guests because I screen well........ with no help whatsoever from ABB. It's my home and ABB can't make me host anyone I'm not comfortable with although they do seem to be trying very very hard. 

@Carl12      Maybe this is only available if you have Instant Book enabled - but I can see my guest's reviews.

I can't see their photo before they book but it doesn't bother me as long as I see it after the booking is confirmed - I want to know who to expect, not least because Airbnb do not cover 3rd party bookings. I do not want some anonymous friend, of an anonymous friend, of an anonymous friend of an Airbnb account holder (maybe even a hacked account) who in all likelihood won't be made to take responsibility if anything goes wrong, in my home.

btw: If you do have IB you check the box on the 'profile photo',  but again,  it's only visible after a confirmed booking.

I do agree with @Jessica-and-Henry0   Airbnb anonymizes guests information so why not hosts information.

Screen Shot 2019-03-03 at 1.44.42 PM.png