No more text notifictions!?

Judy-and-Bill----Jenna0
Level 1
San Diego, California, United States

No more text notifictions!?

We consolidated phone #'s and now use only one, but it is not receiving text messages from AirBnB any longer??? All of our settings are correct. We have turned our phone on and off again. Nothing seems to be getting them back...Any ideas?  Sure wish this website were more navigable and reliable!!!!

10 Replies 10
Renate2
Level 1
Santa Fe, NM

We have the same issue, no more text messages and some text messages were not delivered to the guest.

Deborah12
Level 2
Twickenham, United Kingdom

Yes, same here. I just missed a New Year's eve booking because I didn't get any text notification of a message. I lost £183. This is very annoying when you rely on them. I can't be checking my emails all the time. My settings are also all ok. What's going on?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Deborah12

Lovely to meet you, I am sorry to hear you are experiencing issues with this. I wonder are you still having problems with this and have you been in touch directly with the Support Team?

On another note, just to introduce myself my name is  Lizzie and I look after the English speaking community here. I have noticed when you post in this thread you are displaying you address details next to your avatar (circular profile image, next to your post). For safety reasons, I would not recommend you share or display any personal details within the Community Center as it is publically visible. Therefore, please can I ask you to edit your details to reflect this.

It should only takes a minute or two! Here is how you do this:

1. Log in to Airbnb.

2. Go to https://www.airbnb.com/users/edit

3. Change "Where You Live" to just a city and country. Not a full address. 

Thanks so much, let me know if you need any help. 🙂 

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

I also have not received text messages for many weeks now. In addition to that, the android phone app doesn't work at all. I have already written to airbnb but they couldn't fix the issue so I received a $25 voucher which I will likely never use and which of course doesn't help the problem.

The best advice that I can give is to travel with your laptop if you leave home or your office. Cumbersome, yes, but otherwise you have to snooze your listing.

Deborah12
Level 2
Twickenham, United Kingdom

Embarrassed to say I've only just seen this 😦

I hope it's ok now, I hadn't realised this was happening. 
Thanks for letting me know.

David75
Level 2
Langley, Canada

I'm having the same problem, I need text notifications when I travel. For instance, in a couple weeks I will be in Vietnam, what I have done in the past and will again this trip is buy a local sim card, enter the number in Airbnb's text msg notifications and recieve text everywhere as opposed to just where there is wifi. I will be out of touch for days at a time from wifi during this trip, unless I buy a data package with the sim that means I have to keep burning data on the off chance I have a msg.  I just need text notification to keep things simple.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@David75 Forget it David, Cellular is a thing of the past!! Having a personal WiFi will help you because that will still allow you to log on and attend to any notifications that lob on your home page. But as you said, it will chew through your data, and once again it requires a WiFi hotspot to be of any use, and hotspots have nowhere near the coverage that sms does.

It's extremely disappointing we had to find out the way we did.....in bits and pieces by other users on the CC! Even the CC moderators have been kept in the dark. Phone-in help desk do know all about it, but for some reason or other they are tight lipped, as though they have been instructed to keep it under wraps.

The only logical reason I can see for this silence is, the impact of this decision will be spread out over weeks and even months! Had they made a general statement to the hosting community there would have been such an uproar that their customer support would have had no way of coping with it and the platform would have ground to a standstill!!!

For the best part of two weeks I was hopefull that it was a concerted hacking attack on Airbnb, but the silence has gone on for so long that I have ruled that out. David, it's a numbers game, the numbers have been crunched and the decision has been made.....bye, bye cellular!!!   Cheers....Rob

I suspected as much when I wrote about it, Airbnb is not the touchy feely company it purports to be, it is a 20 billion $ monolith that has only the bottom line as a target and **bleep** the people who helped it along the way.

I did resolve the problem, now in Vietnam and receiving text thru my Vietnamese phone number
Betsy2
Level 1
Montclair, NJ

I stopped receiving tex messages almost a year ago. I reached out to airbnb and endured a series of emails like the one later in this thread. I think they've just stopped sending them and won't sayit. That said I wonder if those of you who are experiencing NO text messages are smart phone users. I think they stopped sending texts assuming everyone has a smart phone so they don't need both.