No response from Airbnb after host property severely damaged / trashed by guests

Linye0
Level 2
Melbourne, Australia

No response from Airbnb after host property severely damaged / trashed by guests

Background

We decide to put aside our frustration and disappointment for one second and document this in a factual manner.

On 13rd Apr 2018 night, our house in Melbourne was trashed very severely by the guests. Highlights as below:

• Several holes in the walls
  • Broken air-condition
  • Unusable carpets in all bedrooms with trace of blood, urine, vomit and food waste all over it
  • 55” brand new UHD TV was stolen, along with many decoration items
  • Broken doors
  • Broken roller-blinds
  • Bed linens and chairs were thrown out of balcony and found broken outside backdoor garage

Victorian Police came and Incident got filed on 14th Apr 2018 morning.

Photos

Broken air conditionerBroken air conditionerUnusable carpetUnusable carpetUnusable carpet and dirty linenUnusable carpet and dirty linenBroken chairsBroken chairsBroken tableBroken tableHoles in the wallHoles in the wallBroken toiletBroken toiletDamaged garage railDamaged garage railBroken and completely detached doorBroken and completely detached door

Action

14th Apr 2018 – Called Airbnb customer support and raised in resolution centre

16th Apr 2018 – Called Airbnb customer support and ticket got escalated

17th Apr 2018 – Called Airbnb customer support and was told note was left in the ticket

18th Apr 2018 – Called Airbnb customer support and was told more note was left in the ticket

19th Apr 2018 – Called Airbnb customer support and was told more note was left in the ticket

20th Apr 2018 - Called Airbnb customer support and was told more note was left in the ticket

23rd Apr 2018 – Called Airbnb customer support and was told more note was left in the ticket

24th Apr 2018 – Called Airbnb customer support and was told more note was left in the ticket

26th Apr 2018 – Called Airbnb customer support and was told more note was left in the ticket

1st May 2018 – Raised this incident in airbnb community

Result

Not received any communication from “Trust and safety” department as of today 1st May 2018

Impact

The cost for repair the property is estimated over $10,000.

For our own sake,  we start paying builders out of pocket so that this property can be rented again as soon as possible.

As Airbnb host, when can we get this expense covered ?

Additionally, we have more than a dozen of bookings across the next few months.

Bookings will inevitably get impacted and some of them were already cancelled. 

7 Replies 7

@Linye0

Wow..that is a horrible experience and clearly a deliberate decision to destroy/damage the property.

There was a host who lived outside Melbourne, who doumented a similar story, about two weeks ago, of having his property damaged on their first AirBnb guest rental. You might want to search for their post and get in touch. There has been a number reported, I believe. You may consider getting together to collectively seek support and compensation ...maybe the same people are  behind these attacks..I have no idea...

Good luck, and a quick recovery from a terrible experience

Linye0
Level 2
Melbourne, Australia

Thank you for your reply Mike. yeah. it has been terrible. I thought It was the END of the WORLD when I first entered our place on the 14/4. I am just fixing up our property without any support with Airbnb at this stage. will update in the community about how things go.

Cathy57
Level 2
Bellevue, WA

Wow! 

Post your story and photos on Social Media. 

They will respond. They hate bad press. 

I'm frustrated of Airbnb too now! you get the payout and find the damage, I even don't have the payout and found damage plus the case manager charge me further for it because the guest don't like my apartment! redicious 

Kathy299
Level 2
Belchertown, MA

Yikes!  That is horrible!  I'm so sorry this happened to you. That is my worst nightmare as an ABB Host!  I do hope you get appropriate support from ABB very soon!  Shame it's taken this long!!  

We have towait for the guests when they checkin and take photos let them confirm. check the partment when they checkout and take photo let them confirm, do the both will be perfect. 

if they broken your apartment when checkin and you were not there and then they took photo ask for refund after they ruined it. Ruin an apartment no need much time and it can be done very fast! But go to take back what you deserved to have would be kill time and piss off! 

The guests do this have advantages,  Airbnb would charge penalty from you to them. hosts would be total lost

Gillian19
Level 10
St Leonards, Australia

@Linye0 It's awful that this has happened and I do feel for you, but you shouldn't rely on Airbnb's 'host guarantee'. As you are learning they will do everything they can to avoid paying anything. You must take out your own insurance. This is a business you are running and shouldn't be treated in any other way. There are companies that offer cover for Airbnb type rentals in Australia.