No to the new no guest photo policy

No to the new no guest photo policy

Hello fellow Hosts-

I have noticed Airbnb's policies increasingly moving towards guest's needs, and further away from the needs of hosts, especially hosts who prefer the security of personally screening people they invite into their home, verses hosts with Instant Book, who do not have as big a concern with safety. I have let many other changes go, but I feel that their newest no guest photo policy hits a new low, and for me, is totally unacceptable.

My home is not a public hotel. If guests do not want to show their faces and want to remain anonymous, they should stay in a hotel- there are plenty of those. Airbnb is supposed to offer a more personal alternative, where hosts as well as guests benefit mutually from honesty and trust. To cultivate this trust, there needs to be transparency on BOTH sides, and blocking photos does not inspire trust!

As hosts, we are extremely vulnerable- guests see our photo, photos of our homes, our neighborhood location, see our star ratings, reviews, and our cancellation history, yet as (non-instant book) hosts, we are not able to access any of these same basic qualities. I am not racist in any way, I accept all nationalities, from all over the world, but I am extremely concerned with personal safety. Airbnb has just removed one of the most important tools that I am able to use to help my intuition determine who I am willing to allow into my home.

I understand that Airbnb wants to be politically correct by encouraging non-discrimination. That is noble of them, but please do not do it at our expense. Do not deny hosts of this important basic tool. And not viewing a photo will not end discrimination! It just will make hosts more cautious and more discriminating, forcing us to base a decision whether to allow strangers into our homes even more narrowly- on the sex, for example, or a name, writing style, living location, or an unjust bad review. In my experience, there already is not enough information about most guests (especially if they have not completed a profile or do not have any reviews), but more often than not, a smiling face of their profile photo is enough to go ahead and trust that stranger. Now, without the thousand words a photo can convey, I will always decline a reservation if the person's communication lacks information that I ask for, has misspellings, or is otherwise less than ideal. We have that right as a host to decline any reservation, Airbnb's host rules makes that clear. Why remove an important tool that allows for more trust?! A trust that benefits guests as well, as they will be more likely to be accepted for a reservation request. Why punish all hosts, when going after the few specific hosts with a history of discrimination, would be much, much more appropriate?

And lastly, Airbnb's solution does not resolve the problem of racism in a fair way. Discrimination is a human flaw that does not just affect hosts- guests are just as able to discriminate against hosts! If implementing this new policy is a true effort to combat racism, Airbnb is actually discriminating against hosts by not imposing this same standard equally to all of us, hosts and guests alike!

I am a Superhost who has enjoyed the benefits of listing my guest room on Airbnb for many years, but by taking away this most basic and important tool, I am considering for the first time, the possibility of going with another rental option if this decision is not reversed. I wrote a lengthy letter in protest, submitted in the feedback section, and intend to send it daily until the new policy is reversed or imposed fairly to all. I told them that if they do not want to lose their hosts, that they should put an end to this ridiculous no guest photo policy, and restore full disclosure between both guests and hosts, which has brought great success to their platform- thus far. I encourage all who dislike this new policy to send their feedback as well!

164 Replies 164
Gabriela-and-Mark0
Level 2
Sandton, South Africa

We should write a petition or something, Airbnb policies are for Guests only not for Guests.

our house is not a hotel, it is my house that I love and every little detail is done with love

Jonathan733
Level 2
Exeter, United Kingdom

Excellent posting by Michael and Jill from Carmel CA....I totally agree and would add that Airbnb is discriminating against the host by not applying the same rule to the guest. Any potential guest could view my profile picture and be discriminate against me as a host for whatever prejudice they may have, it cuts both ways. Airbnb’s ethos has been that it’s different in that it’s a sharing community of like minded people and yet it is direction is trying push hosts more and more into becoming like hotels. If they were really serious about discrimination why is it that all their past advertising depicts young and/or attractive people, hello! were is the diversity in that. I like the majority of people on this thread I’m not happy with this last of a string of actions made by Airbnb which tilts the balance to far towards the guest as though they are always totally trustworthy.

Jonathan UK

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

It seems the only one who discriminates here is Airbnb....guests have all rights and hosts have none

Marc162
Level 2
Newton, NJ

Very well put and I agree 100%. Photos are very helpful to guage who you'll be letting in to your home. With a no photo policy I will no longer be accepting guests without reviews (which is most requests I get). 

That is a good way to gauge guest requests, only take guests with reviews. To bad for new members

@Marc162 wrote:

Very well put and I agree 100%. Photos are very helpful to guage who you'll be letting in to your home. With a no photo policy I will no longer be accepting guests without reviews (which is most requests I get). 

Lilliam1
Level 2
Guaynabo, Puerto Rico

totally Agree!!!

Charles444
Level 2
Brampton, Canada

I agree 100% that guest must have their pictures up before signing up. I installed two visible surveillance devices and indicated their location on my listing. One unscrupulous guest made malicious accusations above the devices, and they immediately suspended my listing even before investigating and found it they were unsubstantiated. It appears they do not follow their own policies and sometimes believe in malicious information the extent that they seem to be breaking local laws.

Susan1028
Level 10
Oregon, US

@Rebecca0and @MichaelandJill  and so many others who care enough to speak up, and we must...

Thank you for your efforts.  I have also contributed,  followed up with feedback, appeals to Support (replies are scripted), and to be honest, with no reply from management after thousands of posts from upset hosts in various threads (other then more sanctions), I doubt this will be replied to either. 

TWEETS and CONTACTING THE PRESS WORKS.

This is a multilayered situation that touches everyone involved and goes deep to the heart of Air BnB. There are seasoned guests feeling the shift as well.

Many hosts are leaving. Others have gone dark. Others have become even more cautious they're not booking anyone without a solid positive review history with ABB (unfortunately shutting out perfectly wonderful newbies)...also knowing if they cancel, they'll be penalized with ratings, financially, they'll be relegated to the last pages of searches and more sanctions...so they're listing elsewhere.

Many have not caught up to what's going on or are afraid to speak up.

This isn't just about a "no photo" policy and it isn't about racism. Its about revenue.

According to the press, ABB changed the business model over the last year in preparation for an IPO scheduled for 4 months from now.  This is the final quarter to boost their appeal for the stock market...which isn't in great shape. This agenda explains the secretive rollouts of policies trying to force hosts into instant booking, the "no photo/valid ID (guests can now register and book only revealing a first name) and now rolling towards us; hosts being required to pay guest booking fees. ABB gets thier fees regardless, and we get penalized if we cancel due to safety concerns.  Period.  Even Instant Bookers only get 3 cancels/year. 

The racism card is a conveniently timed strategy based on a handful of allegations that are most prudently and profitably handled by an algorhythm with scrutiny and appropriate policy if there's an actual red flag.

I've spent most of my life in Customer Service.  The way this has been handled is not cooperative or thought through except the short term.  It's more reminiscent of "playground politics" than the "win-win sharing economy" that made ABB a game-changing Unicorn.  The vibe has become that of "politics as usual."  Every way you look at this, it's the antithesis of what attracted millions of private homeowners to open thier homes to billions of guests all over the world that built this unique, thriving community.

Based on independent host feedback, declines are increasing under this new policy becuase we don't want someone we don't feel ok with being invitied into our homes, having contact with our families, knowing where we live, and having our contact info. Historically, declines in accepted bookings result in being relegated to the bottom of searches, as the multidwelling management companies rise to the top (even with poor reviews). 

If ABB wants to boost bookings, the long term solution is to implement better safety protocols to increase bookings by building confidence, relationships, and return bookings for ALL hosts and guests.

ABB has well publicized issues with safety/screening and costly backpedalling from bad press due to undiscovered criminal/sex offenders, stalkers, abusive guests/parties/liability, and "charitable donations" synchronistically timed with elections involving short term rental policy in New York and elsewhere.  There have been a handful of actual racism allegations against hosts by comparison.  These new policies go beyond racism to include the whole global platform.

Did you know ABB has also just begun rolling out another  previoiusly unnannounced policy of making hosts responsible for guest's booking fees if we choose not to comply? In a criminal setting that would be classified as a felony in the US, and violates numerous labor laws.

Here's an approach that could have created a win-win and avoided this unfortunate internal and what will become a huge PR mess:

Added service to justify a general increase in booking fees, notifying us in advance via messaging/notification of all hosts and guests registered with a statement such as  "We're listening! For your confort and safety, we're stepping up our safety protocols by requiring all guests to provide the same information as hosts; ID/profile photo matches/criminal background checks.   It will resullt in a ___% booking fee increase of ___ to cover costs but we're doing our best to keep everyone safe.  (This does not guarantee we can completely filter out sophistocated criminals and we are not responsible for...") 

ABB could have eased the minds of millions of independent hosts, increasedbookings, and offered a huge market share potential to infogeek providers to outbid one another, resulting in the least expensive, almost instant electronic responses for pennies on the dollar en masse. They could have rolled it out with a wonderful press release and won everyone over with thier historical zeitgiest of collective good will (except for the criminals).

I'd actually be OK with paying more for this added win-win service. Anyone else?

Making this platform increasingly miserable for independent hosts ( the reason ABB exists and people love it) is breaking the backbone that helped build this company.  It's bad PR from any perspective and they will try to fall back on the "racism card,"...old school politics/business as usual rather than the upbeat community innovation that created this platform.

Even those of us who are highly booked with 5 stars are being inspired to leave, most of all by the obvious lack of simple courtesy and respect for our safety, that of our families, and our homes that have become so unimportant...just so many other big corporate players in the news.

ALL of this is at our expense, financially, safety-wise, and with the liability issues buried within these changes. 

There is no backup for us and rather then being a global community we've been "commodified" and even with tens of billions in profits... we're not profitable enough.

Independent hosts are the backbone of ABB, and cost more in Customer Service because there are more of us. The alleged $Million Host backup policy, which, according to many recent posts is not being enforced, becomes null and void with the "the 3rd party rule" if someone books for another person.  3rd party bookings are on the increase in the IB area of the platform and will also increase without clear facial photo and basic photo ID requirements to accompany all bookings. Puppies and kitties and landscapes exacerbate this. Would you stay in the home of a private host who wasn't willing to provide ID or show thier face?  Guest/host cancelling after booking (as suggested by ABB) isn't good either, for customer service, PR, the "racism" issue, and because then the guest has our name, phone#, email, and address and can choose to burgurize homes (especially vacation homes)... as ABB keeps all the booking fees, and is absolved of liabity again because they didn't actaully check in ---another loophole they forgot to mention---

In short, any criminal can register on ABB and for less than $10 have our information and visual access to everything we own.  ABB could care less because they've paired all this new policy with a mass guest recruiting campaign...again to boost profits, and they keep the fees regardless of the outcome with no liability.

It would appear the founders have sold their souls to shadow capitalistism and sold us out.

But ABB has also been copied by others who offer more security, so with "customer service" like this and an impending IPO, ABB will make billions more for the short term and either fade way, or be bought out and put on a shelf to collect dust like Lycos and Myspace. 

Either way, the 1% will profit more than ever, so the demise of something awesome and unique (that sharing win-win economy that the world could truly benefit from expanding upon), gets sacrificed on the old school economy altar.

Here's my reality:

About 30% of my bookings are return guests becuase they love what I offer.  I know who they are.  Win-win!  Under this policy70% of my new requests to book have been from people with no photo, incomplete profile, newbies/have never done a home share, have 1 lukewarm sounding review (or none), assume they're booked when they request, ooze entitlement, and have no idea why I'm asking questions because they're used to hotels and don't actually read the listing or they'd know my house rules and how much more I offer.

I've spent a lot of time educating newbies, which in customer service is known as "relationship building."  It boosts bookings, and good will and profits for ABB (win-win).   Many of my repeat bookings are the newbies I spent time on who feel comfortable, appreciate my willingness, and the expereince I provide.

I'm declining most of the other 70% right away because there isn't enough data or discourse to discern a safety (very different than discrimination). That's more declines for me since this rollout than the last 6 months, as indpendent hosts are discriminated against and penalized/intimidated by ABB in multiple ways.

In reality, we're the ones being discriminated against by this company's unsafe policy forced on us after being made totally vulnerable, with no backup from this "booking agency"---which is what ABB has reduced themselves to with these actions.  There are amny "booking agencies" to choose from.

We're the ones on the short end of "playground politics" because the boss wants all the best lunches and pocket change. This is why labor unions were created.

It's also eroded the great vibe and mission we all created in a win-win community over years of time. 

My guests are noticing a difference too, so if this is all about the guest, it;s effecging those who also helped build this company. They are uninspired by having to sort through the plethora of management company logos and motels in the listings and the lengthy and confusing registration, and more cumbersome and confusing review process.  These are platform issues, not host errors, yet the result is a decline in my completed guest review rates...and along with that terrible "location" category add on, I'm receiving notifications it's effecting my previously pristine  "progress" agorhythm stats...which pales in comparison to honest safety issues, which seems to be insignificant to the management when compared to profits.

ABB is heading down a path they previously soared above.  Something important to the soul of this community has been lost. The words "safety," trust," and "integrity" come to mind first.  Once earned, it's worth more than gold.  Once lost...

@Susan1028 wrote:

This isn't just about a "no photo" policy and it isn't about racism. Its about revenue.

According to the press, ABB changed the business model over the last year in preparation for an IPO scheduled for 4 months from now.  This is the final quarter to boost their appeal for the stock market...which isn't in great shape.

Thank you, Susan, for this information- it all makes sense now!

Jeremy129
Level 6
New South Wales, Australia

Yes, they are trying to over think, over complicate and over manage what should be a simple transaction in trust and honesty.  We no longer accept anyone in our Airbnb's without previous reviews which is a loss of revenue for both ABB and us. 

100% agree. My experience is the same. Have you noticed that now Airbnb removed the option to respond to a booking request with a special offer? Now if the booking request is for 1 person, but the guest tells you they are a group of 6, your options are Accept, Decline, Let expire. Negative either way for the host. Thank you ABB. You really don't seem to like your hosts. 

Nicole995
Level 4
Barrie, Canada

I agree 100%, we are already hanging on a thread with the profile photo. But to let someone into MY HOME, MY PERSONAL SPACE, without so much as a virtual glance into the eyes of that person than I feel as though I'm at risk. It's not about the renter. It's about the host. And if the host is not who Airbnb is out to protect then it's time I move on.

I agree 1000%! My husband and I have been hosting for 1 year and have been super hosts all year long. I was VERY upset to read about this new rule.  You can tell so much by a person by their profile picture. As a host I should have every tool possible to decide if I feel comfortable inviting a guest into my home. In fact, I think at least 3 pictures she be provided by guests. Like a dating profile. 

I don’t think Air BnB has the hosts best interest in mind. If guests want to be  Anonymous, they should stay in a hotel! 

If this desision is not reversed, we will not host on Air BnB. 

I  referral My friend to become an Airbnb host, a biggest mistake I made because huge damaged to his house, and everything is stolen by a guest named Abgail from Orem Utah.  When complaint to Airbnb the same guest trying to book my place and how come the bad reviews about her is taken out?  The answer my friend got from Airbnb phone call is, " There is nothing we can do about it, Abgail could restart a new profile last August." Even we both warned Airbnb not to let other hosts going through the same thing by putting back the bad review about A. how she steal everything she could possibly remove from the house.   B. Letting water over flow, causing the damage to his hard wood floor.....We really feel maybe it's time to leave Airbnb.  As hosts, we are not protected by allowing criminals get away not paying all lost, and Airbnb taking bad reviews out to mislead other hosts.  

DITTO