No to the new no guest photo policy

No to the new no guest photo policy

Hello fellow Hosts-

I have noticed Airbnb's policies increasingly moving towards guest's needs, and further away from the needs of hosts, especially hosts who prefer the security of personally screening people they invite into their home, verses hosts with Instant Book, who do not have as big a concern with safety. I have let many other changes go, but I feel that their newest no guest photo policy hits a new low, and for me, is totally unacceptable.

My home is not a public hotel. If guests do not want to show their faces and want to remain anonymous, they should stay in a hotel- there are plenty of those. Airbnb is supposed to offer a more personal alternative, where hosts as well as guests benefit mutually from honesty and trust. To cultivate this trust, there needs to be transparency on BOTH sides, and blocking photos does not inspire trust!

As hosts, we are extremely vulnerable- guests see our photo, photos of our homes, our neighborhood location, see our star ratings, reviews, and our cancellation history, yet as (non-instant book) hosts, we are not able to access any of these same basic qualities. I am not racist in any way, I accept all nationalities, from all over the world, but I am extremely concerned with personal safety. Airbnb has just removed one of the most important tools that I am able to use to help my intuition determine who I am willing to allow into my home.

I understand that Airbnb wants to be politically correct by encouraging non-discrimination. That is noble of them, but please do not do it at our expense. Do not deny hosts of this important basic tool. And not viewing a photo will not end discrimination! It just will make hosts more cautious and more discriminating, forcing us to base a decision whether to allow strangers into our homes even more narrowly- on the sex, for example, or a name, writing style, living location, or an unjust bad review. In my experience, there already is not enough information about most guests (especially if they have not completed a profile or do not have any reviews), but more often than not, a smiling face of their profile photo is enough to go ahead and trust that stranger. Now, without the thousand words a photo can convey, I will always decline a reservation if the person's communication lacks information that I ask for, has misspellings, or is otherwise less than ideal. We have that right as a host to decline any reservation, Airbnb's host rules makes that clear. Why remove an important tool that allows for more trust?! A trust that benefits guests as well, as they will be more likely to be accepted for a reservation request. Why punish all hosts, when going after the few specific hosts with a history of discrimination, would be much, much more appropriate?

And lastly, Airbnb's solution does not resolve the problem of racism in a fair way. Discrimination is a human flaw that does not just affect hosts- guests are just as able to discriminate against hosts! If implementing this new policy is a true effort to combat racism, Airbnb is actually discriminating against hosts by not imposing this same standard equally to all of us, hosts and guests alike!

I am a Superhost who has enjoyed the benefits of listing my guest room on Airbnb for many years, but by taking away this most basic and important tool, I am considering for the first time, the possibility of going with another rental option if this decision is not reversed. I wrote a lengthy letter in protest, submitted in the feedback section, and intend to send it daily until the new policy is reversed or imposed fairly to all. I told them that if they do not want to lose their hosts, that they should put an end to this ridiculous no guest photo policy, and restore full disclosure between both guests and hosts, which has brought great success to their platform- thus far. I encourage all who dislike this new policy to send their feedback as well!

164 Replies 164

@Lizzie

Why not require guests to complete their profile, including picture, and allow us to see it BEFORE a booking is completed?  It's called transparency and it should go both ways.  As host, we open up our homes to complete strangers and we have a right to know as much about a potential guest as possible.  Why is that so difficult to understand for Airbnb?

I would also like to know why we suddenly cannot see a breakdown of a guest's rating any more;  another tool you have taken away from us hosts, it seems. 

I really think that it is time Airbnb starts listening to its hosts, or soon, there won't be any left.  I, as many others, am ready to look into alternatives.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks for your reply @Ann489. I completely get your feelings here and I know from reading all the other comments shared on this, that transparency is understandably an important area for hosts.

I think it's important to say though and as you would hope, that decisions like this aren't taken lightly. And, Airbnb are taking the feedback shared by hosts extremely seriously, and continue to look further into this.

I personally think it's about finding a good balance for the whole community and feedback and ideas are really important to this. I was speaking with some of your fellow hosts in another thread on guest information, and they wanted to see more guest information, but not necessarily just a photo, but other types like filling out their profile description, ID etc. and so there is lots of things to explore and it's great hearing these ideas. My role here is make sure that all the community feedback is collated and represented in the best way possible, but also provide clarity on areas like I have above and I will certainly continue to do this. 

Also, to answer you question, all hosts should be able to see guest's reviews and as you have Instant Book you should be able to see their rating, you shouldn't see any change with this. If you are unable to see this it might be that the guest hasn't got any reviews let. If you have more details which aren't in line with this though, please do let me know and I will speak further with our product team.

Thanks again and hope to speak with you more.

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Kevin940
Level 10
Quinns Rocks, Australia

1.Strongly suggest Air BnB make it mandatory for guests have a completed profile with photo BEFORE confirmation of booking.   It is imperritice that we as hosts should know who is coming into their home.

2. If the photo proves to be a fake one; ie a picture of a person, but not the person that takes up the booking then Air BnB should refund all fees to the host.

3. We as Hosts should have full access to all verified information of the guests coming into our homes.

Thanks

@Lizzie wrote:

1.  Hosts can, in fact, request to see a photo of their guests before they arrive, as soon as the booking is confirmed. Here’s information on how to do that.

Hello Lizzie, 

It is nice to hear a voice from a representative of Airbnb. I question your reply regarding hosts being able to request a photo after booking however. I tried ticking this requirement, but unfortunately this privilage is only given to hosts with Instant Book. I do not want to use IB for the same reasons that I oppose the no guest photo policy- I want to retain the tiny bit of control I have to decide who will stay in my home.

Airbnb encourages hosts to use IB by giving them (and only them) maximum information about guests: 1. the requirement of gvt ID 2. recommendations from other hosts 3. star ratings of guests and 4. most important of all the GUEST PHOTO- all information that I strongly feel should be given to ALL hosts, not just IB hosts. Airbnb encourages hosts to use IB by very misleading statements, saying that "hosts can cancel any reservation they do not feel comfortable with", but the small print is- Instant Book hosts can only cancel 3 times per year, or be slapped with fines, loss of Superhost status, and even deactivation.

Airbnb also states in the Terms of Service 1.3 that hosts "should always exercise due diligence and care when deciding whether to...accept a booking request from a Guest". How in the world are we supposed to do this when tools giving us that ability are taken away, and/or given unfairly only to those hosts who don't want to treat their homes like a real hotel?! These four tools, given only to Instant Book hosts, are just basic information that ALL hosts should have, so they can intuitively welcome strangers into their homes with ease. In this age of violence and scammers, these are basic things I need to feel comfortable doing this. As a host with personal safety as my most important issue, accepting a booking now has become a completely stressful experience, as I am no longer able to see the face that I am comunicating with. I am actually declining more requests than I ever did before, as I would rather be safe then sorry.

Lizzie, thank you for listening. PLEASE pass on our message to the decision makers, and ask them to be open to changing Airbnb policies to ones that treat all hosts equally, and returns Airbnb to a platform that LEADS the sharing community where both guests AND hosts feel respected and comfortable sharing.

Thank you.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Michael-and-Jill0 ,

Thank you for your words here. In regards to the setting, to require a profile photo (after a booking has been confirmed), this option is available to all hosts not just those using Instant Book. Just to check following the instructions, are you not able to see this option yet? 

If not, let me know and I can look into this further. 🙂

In you message point 4. just to check when you say "most important of all the GUEST PHOTO"

are you referring to the setting I mention above or something different? For those hosts using Instant book, this update to only show guest profile photos until a booking is confirmed, actually don't make any difference, because you wouldn't normally see the guest's profile photo until after anyway. Let me know if you are referring to something else. 

Thank you also for your general feedback about tools, I am making sure I gather up all of the concerns shared here. 

Out of interest, if you had some or all of the information available to IB hosts, would you feel more comfortable with this update? 

Thank you again,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

@Lizzie wrote:

Hello @Michael-and-Jill0 ,

In regards to the setting, to require a profile photo (after a booking has been confirmed), this option is available to all hosts not just those using Instant Book. Just to check following the instructions, are you not able to see this option yet? 

If not, let me know and I can look into this further. 🙂

Out of interest, if you had some or all of the information available to IB hosts, would you feel more comfortable with this update? 

@Lizzie, thank you for your reply.

I am not able to see this quest photo option. On my listing, as a non-Instant Book host, I am definitely not  able to request a profile photo at all. Under "Guest Requirements", I am only able to ask for phone # and email. Instant Book hosts, however, are allowed to require:

Government issued ID

Recommendation from other hosts

Guest trip information 

Star rating and

Profile photo.

Under profile photo (for instant book hosts), it states "Guests are encouraged, but not required to have a profile photo" even for IB...That is insane!

To answer your question, yes, I would be much more comfortable if these same requirements were available to non-instant book hosts. Though I think it is absolutely essential for EVERYONE (hosts and guests) to have a profile photo; I also strongly believe that EVERYONE (hosts and guests) should be required to have a government issued ID (for safety reasons, to keep sex offenders etc. off the platform), and ALL hosts, both instant book and non-instant book, should be able to see guest star ratings (as they are able to see ours), and their cancellation history, (as they can see ours). Anyone not willing to give this basic information, should not use Airbnb, period. These tools allow everyone to trust each other equally, and provide checks and balances that help eliminate bad behavior of all individuals on Airbnb equally.

Thank you for gathering suggestions and passing them on...

Yet another host tool has just been taken away- now, I am no longer able to request the potential guest have an email address. The ONLY tool available to me as a non-instant book host is a phone number. That's it. I am also no longer able to email an accepted guests to their ENCRYPTED email. That is gone. I have always sent detailed directions with photos so the guests do not get lost before arrival. Now that I am not able to send photos, the last two guests got lost. Come on, Airbnb, how are these new unwanted policies making things run smoother?!

Tony134
Level 10
Sarasota, FL

Hi everyone !  Please check and post in the following thread.

We will only ever get polite words from Lizzie, Lauren, and the rest of the Airbnb team. The following thread encourages people to contact the Justice Department.

I would like to have one thread start alive that addresses all these complaints, and I think I catch most of them nicely here. You will also see at the end that my final conclusion is we need to start begging the justice department for help. Please see the following thread and weigh in, thanks.

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/How-to-Start-Fixing-Airbnb-CS-and-Many-Common-Issues/m-p...

Julia1
Level 8
London, United Kingdom

Like many live in hosts I am very upset at the removal of guests photos until after a booking is accepted, it is all very well telling us that we can contact Airbnb to cancel if the profile photo we see after acceptance is not of the person, this fails to appreciate our concerns.  As many others have said you can tell a lot from a photo and it helps me make the decision whether to host or not.  I am a single femal pensioner who wants to feel comfortable in their own home and accept only guests that fulfill that criteria, Airbnb is doing NOTHING for those in my position, if they are really concerned about racism then use their algorythms to identify hosts who do not comply and deal with the issue that way not by penalising all of us.

Matthew133
Level 2
Texas, United States

I have decided to join other home-sharing platforms because of this no-picture policy for guests!

Ariane7
Level 6
Paris, FR

The 'no photo' policy is the most ridiculous thing I have heard of in a long while.

Why are hosts no longer allowed to 'see' who they are talking to? It would seem that this 'might' be about discrimination towards the guest, but isn't this discrimination against the host. We are being forced to blindly accept a reservation without having any knowledge about the guest.
We as hosts are expected to provide a photo of ourselves, detailed photos of our accomodation  and give a description of ourselves and our property to encourage guests to want to stay and yet we now have NOTHING to help us decide whether a guest is worthy of our accomodation.
Since when do we live in a communist country?
The policy used to be that the photo had to be a proper photo of the person and if it was a cartoon or not clear what it was, we could complain, now we are left blind. 
I already find it very strange that we are penalised when we dare cancel a reservation and now we are being penalised before the reservation is even going ahead.
I don't think airbnb gives a **bleep** whether we like their new policy or not, they have the attitude 'hear nothing, see nothing, say nothing'  they have never listened to what we say and have never done anything to help nor protect the host; we are being left to fend for ourselves, basically 'if we don't like it, we can go elsewhere', but they have us by the short and curlies...

why airbnb felt the need to 'bleep' out a word in my text that wasn't even a swear word, is beyond me, I don't swear and I didn't say anything more than the famous expression from gone with the wind...
I've also noticed that airbnb are so paranoid about a host giving out phone numbers that when we dare write a date, a year or an amount for a fee, it is replaced with 'phone number hidden'... 

Russell63
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Thier main concern now is getting ready to sell on the stock exchange. Money and numbers, not hosts unfortunately.

Jay40
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

It is important for host to see who they are letting into their house.

Would you date a person to whom you have never seen his/her face or know anything about him/her?

Russell63
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

I totally agree. I received a standard reply when I enquired. Surely if we are talking equal opportunities then hosts should also be able to hide their face. I have paused my listing for the next few months.