Non-Compliant, Complaining Guest Demands Full Refund

Stephanie636
Level 10
McKinleyville, CA

Non-Compliant, Complaining Guest Demands Full Refund

Hello fellow Hosts - I had a guest check out a few days ago who's demanding a full refund. She brought her husband and mother-in-law, plus two kids ages 3 and 5. She paid for 4 guests total (but brought 5), and we don't allow children under 12 on the property. This is clear in our Listing Description and House Rules (which she says she didn't read, because it was "pages and pages" of info). She booked via "Instant Booking" so I didn't have a chance to decline her at an Inquiry stage for bringing children under 12. A 1-night reservation, she checked in on-time at 3pm, and checked out the following day at 11:30am, thirty minutes before our property's check-out time.

The guest sent me a note through Airbnb messenger at 5:30am during her stay stating that she saw a mouse. She then also claimed the sheets were dirty but had slept on them anyway, and claimed the entire property smelled of raw sewage ("although the bathroom smells clean and fresh"). She demanded a full refund stating she'd be leaving ASAP.  She and her family left 6 hours later, and her kids could be heard laughing and playing outside throughout the duration. To me, this wasn't indicative of someone in the state of panic and distress she now describes. We had a new guest check in 3 hours after she left who noted none of these things, and they left the next day leaving us a typical 5* review. We also live on the property, and noted none of the issues the complaining guest experienced. We don't have a house-cleaning service. I personally turn over each and every guest's stay, so I know the sheets were washed (because I washed them), and I put them on clean and fresh just a couple hours before the guest arrived, beside a vase of roses cut fresh from my garden for her enjoyment.

Our listing is a rustic cabin in the middle of 200,000 acres in the redwood forest with 2 creeks and 2 waterfalls. We have the freshest air, and the purest spring-fed water. There is no malodorous air. In our House Rules it clearly states there's a possibility for encountering wildlife (e.g. elk, deer, raccoons, and yes even mice) and to keep all food/trash secure to not attract them. (However, she admits to not having read any of this). That is what seems to have occurred when the guest saw the mouse; it was after a piece of chocolate she brought. This is not a vermin-infested cesspool by any means. It's meticulously clean, there's no odor anywhere, and it's in the forest amongst nature.

We leave an assortment of complimentary "goodies" for all guests, and this guest and her family consumed everything (as most do): bottle of local, organic red wine; free slippers for them to use during their stay and take home; a snack basket with chips, nuts, granola bars, pretzels, microwave popcorn, Starbucks coffee and Swiss Miss hot cocoa k-cups for the Keurig; individual assorted coffee creamer flavors; fridge stocked with water bottles, local beer, and a second bottle of chilled local, organic white wine. All of that was consumed by this guest. She also left me quite a mess to have to clean up in the fridge, with an exploded container of strawberry yogurt dripping down onto all the shelves and storage bin drawer, sticky pink juice spilled inside the fridge and on the floor, kids' face and hand prints all over the glass panes on the French door and windows, dirty sink, etc.

This particular guest's reviews indicate host comments revealing a trend of dissatisfaction and complaints. The most recent being June '18, going all the way back to March '17 where a host stated "Guest was negative and disapproving of many pointless concerns. A bit challenging to satisfy and please." Sadly, things don't seem to have changed much. Conversely, she was my 21st guest, and my first displeased one. We've had only 4.8-5* reviews and no complaints. People seem to have only had glorious experiences at our property.

My question now is how to respond to her request for a 100% refund. I simply don't think that's justified. I would suffer a net loss from this guest's consumption of all my guest goodies, not to mention having to clean/prep the property before and after her 21 hours spent here. I don't think that's right. If anything I believe she should consider the net amount due me for the 5th guest she didn't pay for, and what should be an additional cleaning fee assessed for her mess, to constitute a partial refund - and we'll call it a wash. Why didn't she ask me for fresh sheets the night before when she thought they were dirty, instead of sleeping on them? (It's because they were actually clean, and she only contrived this weak justification for a refund later on the next morning). Why did she say "We're leaving ASAP" and then remain for 6 more hours? When challenged, she told me it's hard to corral two young children. (For 6 hours?!) With such a horrendous stench as she claims, why were the kids happily playing outside for so long, both days, with her with them taking photos? I believe that, for whatever reason, the property didn't meet her expectations, and she's now trying to fabricate a rationale by which to claim a refund. I'm in the positive client experience business. I do everything I can to make my guests happy. But with this one, I think she's a scamming hustler with a track record of causing hosts misery, and I don't want to yield to her bullying. (However, I'm also a little worried because from all I've read, Airbnb seems to mainly side with Guests in complaint resolution so if that's true, I'm fighting a losing battle anyway).

Any guidance or objective feedback would be greatly appreciated. What would you do? Help! And thanks in advance. 🙂

22 Replies 22
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

No, don't refund her. She used her night and by all evidence was happy with it, except for the mouse, which as you say did not cause her to leave early. She's going to leave you a bad review whether you do or not. Return the favor and extend it to other hosts with a thumbs down. (Hopefully you took pictures of the mess and all communication was in the Airbnb app so Airbnb can see it. If not save as much documentation as you can.)

Thanks, Lisa!

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Stephanie636  You have 1 thing in your favor her past reviews of hosts. Go to her profile use the flag and report her and block her. Then call AirBnB they can actually check if this is repeat behavior to request 100% refunds. Explain as you did here. Have them check your listing on wildlife issues. Also point them to the guest from the same day check in as her check out and the 5* review with no if the issues the other one had. Do not give her a refund and demand AirBnB does not either. Ask them to remove her account if history proves this behavior is on going. I recommend not using the 855 or 888 numbers. 

AirBnB number:

United States and Canada

+1-415-800-5959
+1-855-424-7262 (toll-free)

Not positive about this one as I have not used it personally, but for Superhosts (they will verify you):
North America: +1-647-945-9627 +1.888.326.5753

Thank you, so helpful! I just followed your advice and used the "Report This User" flag. Never done that before. At the very least, hopefully it prompts a check into her account activity and unreasonable host demands (refunds, etc.). A 33% negative comment track record is pretty deplorable, in my opinion. I'll call the Superhost hotline next. Thanks again!

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Stephanie636Wow, that's really crappy. The guest sounds like a perpetually dissatified complainer. Based on her previous reviews, it sound like may have pulled the same thing before to get a reduced or free stay. 

I'm not sure what you can do at this point, because as you say, if she involves Airbnb she may very well get a refund. I think you should still hold your ground regardless. Whether you give her a refund or not, she can still give you a bad review, so you have nothing to lose. 

A few questions, more for how to handle future guests. Did you read her reviews prior to hosting her? If so, did you consider cancelling the reservation? If it's an instant book, you could have cancelled penalty-free. When she turned up with kids and more people than she booked for, did you consider asking her to update her reservation if you were willing to accept the kids, or call Airbnb and have them cancel it if you weren't, as she was voilating two of your rules? In my experience, people like this test the waters, and if you don't push back immediately they just escallate their behavior.  

Alexandra, thanks for the thought-provoking questions and feedback. I honestly didn't know you could cancel Instant-Bookings pentalty-free. That's GREAT info though, so thank you. I've not considered canceling any reservations for fear of the penalty, whether people show up with kids or not, so while her reviews made me uneasy in this case, I still felt hostage to the loss of my Superhost status with a self-initiated cancellation so I just hoped for the best. She did have 8 reviews across 2 years, (though 33% are negative, yikes). In the future, I will certainly ask guests to update their reservation if they show up with more people than they reserved (actually happens pretty routinely), and/or will utilize Airbnb to help me cancel if they violate House Rules (like bringing kids < 12) from the outset. I'd feel badly leaving someone in the lurch, but can't be held responsible if they don't read the listing and rules. I appreciate the insights from more experienced hosts here on this forum; I'm still new at this. The refund-demander was only my 21st guest in all, and yesterday was my 90-day anniversary as a host, so I'm still figuring out all the nuances. Thanks again - you experienced hosts really help us newbies!

@Stephanie636Glad it helps. If you need to cancel an Instant Booking, just make sure you call Airbnb and have them do it: don't do it yourself or the penalty will be levied. 

I hear you: we all learn on here every day! 

@Stephanie636I don't think she can get a refund after staying the night and using all your essentials. CS may suspend her account from repetitive bahaviours using excuses for refunds, this certainly doesn't serve their brand regardless having bad guests. You already explained wildlife experiences in the forest and its a cabin. Your place sounds awesome!

Perhaps you may go to your reservation add an extra guest! 

Thanks, Syl!

John1080
Level 10
Westcliffe, CO

@Stephanie636 Your place looks fantastic to me with an accurate description and I would stay there in a second, expecting to see mice and other wildlife. What does this woman think she is getting for a rustic cabin in the middle of the forest?! 

She is obviously a scammer and hustler who is just to get a free stay. 

Thanks, John! I asked myself the same thing. When I changed out the bedsheets after she checked out, I found a large butcher knife in the bed (!!). It appears she ought to have stayed somewhere she felt more comfortable or was better suited...like a 5-star high-rise hotel in the city. But when someone admittedly doesn't read the listing, and apparently just books a stay like they're ordering off pictures in a restaurant menu, I suppose reality may surprise them. Appreciate the kind words, thanks for the support!

A butcher knife in the bed??? What a nut.

@Stephanie636 Mwhaha, a butcher knife?! What a wacko! I think that tells us all we need to know! 

A butcher knife seems like a bit of overkill for a mouse.

IF Airbnb is not supportive to you and urges you to give her a refund, send them an itemized price list and total of all she and her family managed to consume in the less than 20 and a half hours (at least 7 of which were presumably spent sleeping) they were at your place, the extra guest charge she didn't pay, and the cleaning cost to prepare for them and also to clean up the mess they left (your hours x a reasonable per/hour rate, as if you were paying a cleaner).