Non-paying guests are squatting on my porch!

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Non-paying guests are squatting on my porch!

But they are a family of house wrens 🐦. I sneakily got a pic of the nest last night when we were disinfecting.  I had to make big signs for guests not to water or mess with the poor dying plant.  Even after warning a few they still continued to water it. The babies would have drowned. 

IMG_20210624_085508_669.jpg

IMG_20210624_085508_713.jpg

12 Replies 12
Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Laura2592 “Even after warning a few they still continued to water it. The babies would have drowned”. 

Why is it just so hard for some folks to read and follow requests and instructions? 

Anyway, that is quite cool, and here’s hoping and praying the avian family make it out alive and well despite their unfortunate choice of nesting site. 

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Colleen253  no idea. But I tried to make the bird look really angry on the sign lol. Wrens apparently choose weird places to nest regularly.  

20210613_153929.jpg

@Laura2592   Your sign is so cute, but I would have added that the babies will drown and die....

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

@Laura2592 will have to wait and read their review if you are the one s squatting in their backyard. 

doves like those porch plants as well

@John5097  oh my gosh! I hadn't even thought about the review for this group lol!

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Make sure you document everything @Laura2592 ! 😂😙

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

Dimitar27
Level 10
Sofia, Bulgaria

Include this in the welcome message.

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Including breeding time it is a "long term stay" reservation. Hope your check-out times are flexible, as they will not leave all together.....

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

This year I have had a family of small-size species of bats make their 'home' at the island: the guests get the biggest kick out of them.

Sometimes guests defy explanation. No higher order thinking. I keep dying germs from the previous tear up for spring because the same birds return to nest. I replace them later in the season. Can’t do the same at my Airbnb because someone would give me a “1” on cleanliness for keeping a dead plant on the itch. Sigh.

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

612DC598-C6F6-46C7-AD8C-BBD1A417FBC0.jpeg

@Laura2592 I love your new sign for the avian family. We have a yellow oriole songbird that has taken up residence in the yards of about four houses, including ours, since April 2020.
It comes to the balcony and sits on the rails, back of chairs, the exercise bike and whistles and sings… then craps then flies off till it’s next fly in fly out cycle across the day. 
It also likes to chat to itself on the side of car doors, looking at the window reflections and wing mirrors. We do warn guests of the possibility of bird poo on the car duco, belonging to a song bird. If I’m hosing and watering the garden, the doors all get a wash……. 

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Gorgeous @Laura2592 

It's quite common for birds to nest in planters, they are very clever creatures how they weave their nests.

Make sure you have a camera ready to video them when they learn to fly...

Maybe include in your message to Guests, if you don't already , or as you give them a walk around to please not water the hanging plant and show them where they are nesting ...some people have never seen animals when they are babies..