Non payment from Airbnb and getting NO WHERE

Ryan597
Level 2
Margaret River, Australia

Non payment from Airbnb and getting NO WHERE

I had guests stay the 9th November, then again the 24th and again last night. 

I received an email from air bnb on the 4th telling me to update payment receival details. I’ve done so and spoken to air bnb every 2nd day from the 19th of November for the last 2 week attempting to get my $400+ dollars. 

Air bnb are making every excuse under the sun not to pay me and say that it’s “a computer error”. I’ve been told this has effected 23,000 hosts. 

Thats potentially 23,000 rooms or houses unpaid and earning interest in air bnbs suspence accounts. 

This is robbery people. 

A multi-billion dollar company which owns no property and uses US the hosts and workers to fuel their pockets. 

I demand my money for what I’ve worked for. 

Move spoken to 3 different supervisors so far and again to a manger named “Hendric” 

Who has promised me a call back with a resolution. 

This is into its 4th week of no payment. 

I’m shutting my doors and not allowing anymore bookings to stay. (I’ve 4 guests in the next 2 weeks) 

air bnb this is pathetic. Where is my money? 

4 Replies 4
Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Ryan597, there have been multiple threads about this issue affecting Australian hosts. Most of us are being paid now (although still with some delays it seems). The problem was that the original computer-generated email said to update payment details but apparently this was not the correct thing to do so maybe this is the problem. I'm sorry this is still affecting you and I hope it gets sorted out soon.

Ryan597
Level 2

Thanks @Kath9, I’ve been aware of the “problem” for 2 weeks now hence my constant calling to air bnb. 

Mom giving them multiple option to pay me, from bank accounts, to writing cheque’s to depositing into a credit card, everything falls on deaf ears and empty promises. 

We the hosts are getting taken for a ride. All effected by this deserve compensation. Would air bomb staff work for 3 weeks without being paid. Unlikely. Why should we? 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Ryan597

Ryan, I am so sorry this is happening to you mate and it is a serious c*ck up on the part of the company!

Those of us who chose to do nothing when this first reared its ugly head around the start of November have all been paid because it was as we suspect related to the ATO's requirement that Airbnb file share hosts information with the tax department. 

I and others suspect, although we have not been told anything by the company, the computer system which handles Australian business (and we do now believe this to be the case because it did not affect users anywhere else in the world) could not handle the amount of information required to satisfy the ATO's requirements and continue with it's day to day operations, so consequently all normal business was put on hold until the ATO information had been dispensed with before full normal business was again resumed. They were still able to handle bookings, just not process payouts!

Another thing which strengthens this argument is, although we were all told our banks were rejecting our payout account information, as soon as payouts started to be processed again they were sent to our original payout accounts.....try to figure that one out!!

Ryan, Customer Service have added to the confusion because they had not been informed of this problem and each of them were shooting from the hip and all giving out conflicting advice....some were saying do nothing, some were saying the payout account was in error put in place another one...and CX must bare a lot of the responsibility for trying to be all things to all people and giving out unverified information....a serious blue on the part of the company!

Mate.....what is happening here Ryan, every time you put in place another payout preference you have to go through the whole bank verification process again, and every time you go through this it adds another weeks delay to getting a payout. Ryan, ignore these turkey's in Manila, Dublin, Canada, San Francisco and just set your original payout method as 'Default' and you will get paid. 

I know, heartbreaking and crazy and you have done nothing wrong mate, but just go back to square one, it doesn't need reverifying, it already has been!

All the best Ryan, many of us really feel for you, it's a bloody poor show on the part of the company and they will pay for it. They already are from me! With all the confusion and no information, I set my listing up on Homeaway/Stayz and have already got 5 bookings....that's Airbnb's loss....not mine!

Cheers......Rob

Ryan597
Level 2

@Robin4 thank you so much for this information. I’ve spent weeks attempting to get such an answer. 

I think they’ve cooked it with me, I’ll take my business elsewhere. 

I had always felt like air bnb was a family and communication with the company had been nothing short of amazing. 

One minor hurdle and it’s all came crashing down, I’ve been made to jump through hoops, and been a victim without so much as a sorry or straight answer. 

Its simply not good enough. We do the leg work, they reap the reward.