Non working Dishwasher Compensation

Answered!
Roi4
Level 2
California, United States

Non working Dishwasher Compensation

I have guests staying in my Lake Tahoe Airbnb cabin.  I used the dishwasher the day before their arrival and it worked fine.  It is a newer Kenmore Elite model.  They texted me that the dishwasher was not working after they tried everything.  I then sent my daughter over, since I live iout of the area,  and she has the same dishwasher, but she could not get it working either.  It is the 4th of July so I can't find anyone to get it repaired now.  

They are five people, the guests are now demanding $75 a day compensation.  I was going to offer them $50 a day and I thought I was being very generous.  I am afraid if I don't pay, then I will get a bad review.  Is there some sort of standard I can follow?  I had left them a bottle of wine, and fresh cut flowers upon their arrival but they did not mention anything about that.  I would love to hear the feedback from others.

1 Best Answer
Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

I had a guest who broke one of our showers recently and we had to schedule a plumber to fix it. Plumbers are in high demand in my area and we could not get someone out immediately. I informed our next guest that the downstairs shower was not working (we have a functioning one upstairs) and that they could either let the plumber in during their stay or use the upstairs shower. They opted just to use the upstairs shower. I did not offer a discount of any kind but apologized for the inconvenience. 

I would use the same tactic here. "Hi guests. So sorry to hear the dishwasher is not working. It was fine before your stay so I would like to send a tech out to repair it. He/she is available on X date and I will be coming by/sending my cohost to let him in. If you prefer not to be disturbed, I can offer some extra disposable plates and dish washing liquid/sponges/scrubbers/gloves. Let me know which of those options work best."

If the guest insists on a discount, I might say "Because the dishwasher was working prior to the stay, I really need a diagnostic before I can explore options other than what I have offered. Thank you for understanding and please let me know if you would be available for the technician if that is your preference."

I had a guest once who unplugged the TV and router and said both weren't working for a discount request. We said we would stop by to take a look and suddenly they both got plugged back in and the request was dropped. Some people are just not honest. I would not give in to any demands before I know what is really happening. 

View Best Answer in original post

34 Replies 34
Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

@Roi4 Can't really tell which listing has the broken dishwasher, but the Nevada City studio is about $135 a night so $75 a night is equal to half the listing fee. Half the nightly rate for a dishwasher??? I would suggest to them that you call AirBNB and have them relocated due to this extenuating circumstance.

The flowers and wine are really unrelated to the dishwasher and only muddies your thinking on this matter.

Jess78
Level 10
Eugene, OR

I’ve had this happen— new dishwasher. Once, the reset button on the plug where it goes into the wall needed pressing and it worked. The second time, it was working perfectly but the guests simply couldn’t figure out how to operate it. These were only 2 night stays and it is a much more budget accommodation than 700/night but the guests simply mentioned the problem at checkout and I didn’t offer any compensation at all. If they had complained during or at the beginning of their stay, I’d probably offer 10% off their stay, or offer to refund their cleaning fees and consider that more than enough. Good luck! 

Roi4
Level 2
California, United States

thank you.  I will check to see if there is a reset button on the plug

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Roi4 You should ask your daughter to bring them a huge stack of disposable plates, cups etc. They will probably give you a bad feedback anyway. And who is to say they did not break it. You would not know until your technician inspects it. As @Susan151 said, flowers and wine do not matter. You give it to all your guests I assume. I think the cleaning fee refund @Jess78 suggested is a great idea.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Roi4 

as @Inna22  said - maybe they broke it?!

If I were you I would reply to their request for a refund : 

Dear XX, I am sorry for this inconvenience. I know the dishwasher worked on the day of your arrival.   So, first  I have to send a repairman over to diagnose a malfunction and find out what caused it. Then we will discuss the repair cost or a refund.

The repairman will come today at xx hours, please be at home to witness what he will say.

@Roi4   When it comes to guest compensation, I feel that there are 3 basic types of amenities:

1. Essential to basic functionality/safety (bedding, electricity, running water, exterior locks)

2. Inessential but core to guest expectations (WiFi, swimming pool, breakfast)

3. Inessential, extra conveniences (microwave, dishwasher, BBQ grill)

If something in the first category isn't working, the guests have every right to cancel for a full refund; if they choose to stay anyway, they should receive a very significant price reduction.

In the second category, the home is still usable but it's good hospitality to supply the guest with a rebate reasonably proportional to the cost and inconvenience of sourcing an equivalent amenity elsewhere.  (In some cases WiFi is more appropriate to the 1st category these days, but still...)

The third category comprises all the things that can simply be swapped out for another existing feature. You can do without a microwave or grill as long as there's a stove. And you can do without a dishwasher if there's a sink and draining board. So it takes a few extra minutes to clean the dishes; when did people become so pathetic that they deserve $75 a day for the horror of using a sponge and a little detergent?

I do recommend making sure the guests are adequately supplied with everything needed to hand-wash dishes, and I also like @Inna22 's idea about disposable plates and cups. But I'd be very wary of guests who start demanding compensation. First off, no amount of money you give them is going to buy a good review from people who are obviously douchebags, so don't let yourself be held to ransom. And secondly, what happens when they find something else "wrong" with your property? Another $75 a night? 

Whenever a guest expects some kind of refund while their stay is in progress, call their bluff: "If the home is no longer suitable to your needs, you may cancel the remainder of your booking and receive a refund for the unused nights of your stay."

@Anonymous

I agree 100% 

I remember seeing a post about guests who stayed the entire reservation but got a full refund because WIFI didn't work !!?? If so then I wonder why do we bother to rent the entire apartments if we could just charge 50+ € for a wifi password and a place on the street under our window?  The number of guests are not limited, kids and pets are welcomed, smoking is alowed.... have a nice stay...

Marie82
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

@Roi4 I have to agree with Andrew I am the same i categories element who require full night refund or even partial refund and for me, the dishwasher is 1 of the things who not belong there, especially if there is a sink and washing up liquid.

I never give any discount back when things who are not essential to a booking but just add on.

If he was me I would have said sorry but I can send my daughter every evening to do the dishes if u wish till the repair guy can make it, and see what they will say no guests want to have someone during their stay.

I only give a discount when I really mess up things, Last week my cleaner forgot to clean 1 apartment guests arrived and keys were not placed where he should have been.  Never happened before I found another cleaner to go and they check in with a few hours delay. I immediately give them back the 1st night without them asking anything or even complaining. Because I knew deep down I have mess up I should have a check and double check with cleaner schedule.

For me a discount it is the last resort in any issue.

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

"I'm sorry, I find asking for a $75 rebate excessive and not in the spirit of Airbnb. Please call Airbnb, to be rehoused. Thank you"

These people have played your hand. They have backed you up into a corner. Unless you are an amazing diplomat, I see no other recourse.

As others have pointed out, you don't know the cause. Immediate fixing is not necessary and is out of your control. (you could flip the circuit breaker to try a hard reset). A dishwasher is not a necessity and you have tried in good faith to provide a dishwasher (it's new. it worked)

Nina75
Level 10
LA, CA

Even though I have a Dishwasher, it is not listed in my amenities, for this very reason. I do not want guests cancelling or requesting to be compensated for non-working dishwasher. 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

At $75 a day, you will have been able to buy a new dishwasher within a few days, so I'd say that's ridiculous.  They will probably give you a bad review no matter what, and yes, it's  likely that they broke the dishwasher. 

Indeed, for $75 a day an actual dishwasher could be hired to wash the dishes and still have time left over to clean the house. 

Nina75
Level 10
LA, CA

DIshwashers are very finicky, never list your dishwasher as an amenity.

Marie82
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

@Nina75  i do the same I have dryer in all listings but in some I don't mention it or even included it, and bizarrely never affected my booking, and when some guests asked about it I explained to them I have airer available but they can use the dryer just for the finishing touch/drying but i don't want them to use the dryer in full extent.