Non working Dishwasher Compensation

Answered!
Roi4
Level 2
California, United States

Non working Dishwasher Compensation

I have guests staying in my Lake Tahoe Airbnb cabin.  I used the dishwasher the day before their arrival and it worked fine.  It is a newer Kenmore Elite model.  They texted me that the dishwasher was not working after they tried everything.  I then sent my daughter over, since I live iout of the area,  and she has the same dishwasher, but she could not get it working either.  It is the 4th of July so I can't find anyone to get it repaired now.  

They are five people, the guests are now demanding $75 a day compensation.  I was going to offer them $50 a day and I thought I was being very generous.  I am afraid if I don't pay, then I will get a bad review.  Is there some sort of standard I can follow?  I had left them a bottle of wine, and fresh cut flowers upon their arrival but they did not mention anything about that.  I would love to hear the feedback from others.

1 Best Answer
Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

I had a guest who broke one of our showers recently and we had to schedule a plumber to fix it. Plumbers are in high demand in my area and we could not get someone out immediately. I informed our next guest that the downstairs shower was not working (we have a functioning one upstairs) and that they could either let the plumber in during their stay or use the upstairs shower. They opted just to use the upstairs shower. I did not offer a discount of any kind but apologized for the inconvenience. 

I would use the same tactic here. "Hi guests. So sorry to hear the dishwasher is not working. It was fine before your stay so I would like to send a tech out to repair it. He/she is available on X date and I will be coming by/sending my cohost to let him in. If you prefer not to be disturbed, I can offer some extra disposable plates and dish washing liquid/sponges/scrubbers/gloves. Let me know which of those options work best."

If the guest insists on a discount, I might say "Because the dishwasher was working prior to the stay, I really need a diagnostic before I can explore options other than what I have offered. Thank you for understanding and please let me know if you would be available for the technician if that is your preference."

I had a guest once who unplugged the TV and router and said both weren't working for a discount request. We said we would stop by to take a look and suddenly they both got plugged back in and the request was dropped. Some people are just not honest. I would not give in to any demands before I know what is really happening. 

View Best Answer in original post

34 Replies 34
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Nina75 @Roi4 @Marie82 @Mark116  @Paul154 

our kitchen has a built-in oven (the kitchen was already in the apartment when we bought it)

But, with back to back bookings, 2 nights average stay, 2 apartments to run and the fact we are in the city center with plenty of restaurants everywhere around, we don't offer it. I just don't time to scrub it between guests.

An oven is not listed in our amenities and "Oven is not available" is written in our kitchen photo caption.

But still, we got dinged a few times because the oven doesn't work!

I will have to photoshop the oven so it's out of the picture.... but somehow I don't think it will help.

Just Fix it!!

Mark504
Level 2
Leeds, United Kingdom

They will have paid a deposit no doubt. If the dishwasher was working on the day they arrived then it can only be presumed that they have broken it. Therefore, say that the cost of repair or replacement will be coming out of their deposit. You don't have to take the money but you are calling their bluff and they will probabbly back off from their demands.

Hi Mark,

I have two one bedroom properties I rent out, one at Salford Quays and one in Spain the following is a list of things that have occurred at my places which the managers / site administrators claim was nothing to do with the tenants :

Spain - bad leak upstairs - tenants refused to switch of water - left my property unusable for 3 months. Had to go through my own insurers as bedroom ceiling badly damaged and owner of property refused to do anything about it.

Tenants upstairs moved out, squatters moved in - property reposessed - electricity and water switched off by utilities companies.  Builders / cleaners moved in causing movement of cockroaches (see my first contact here from yesterday).  

Salford Quays - tenants appear to have been using bathroom like wetroom - bad water damage to bathroom floor - insurance job but still cost me £200.  Same tenants 18 months later moved out - floor back to same condition - cost me £950.  

Agents attempted to claim for damaged tray to fridge - luckily my sister and I happened to be at the apartment painting between tenants when we got this message - tried to claim £80 to replace - I said this could only be the tenants but they said they had no proof there was no damage already there (hmmm - I thought they had done an inventory check!).  More recently they attempted to claim for attendance to fix washer because the door wouldn't open, said it was urgent - Tuesday 11 June,  repair man went out to fix but tenants advised that 'they couldn't be there as they were working so rescheduled for Saturday 15 June - the agents didnt stop this or ask for my permission!   As you can see its been a difficult year!  

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Roi4 $75 for the inconvnience of having to spend what, 15 minutes a day hand-washing dishes? 

I doubt that even the dishwasher at the top 5* restaurant in the world makes $300/hour.

Hi, I am new to complaints & refunds but I have a problem I need to share.

A guest booked from 29 May to 18 June then again from 25 June to 29 July.  Unfortunately the owner above failed to pay his mortgage and the property was repossessed last week.  Builders / cleaners moved in to clean the place out as apparently some people had been squatting there.  This caused some cockroaches to come through to my property - pest control in within 24 hours to fumigate but the tenant said she had asthma so a weaker solution was used and she complained and said she would leave the next day (she has bought a new apartment about 2 miles away and had my place full of boxes apparently).

The bookings have been paid for but when she cancelled 10-29 July I ended up with a bill of £765.75.

This will now mean Airbnb will take £765.75 out of my next payment from all guests ongoing until this amount is paid - meaning I will be supporting people with accommodation / electric / water / cleaning and laundry! 

I have no choice but to stop using Airbnb if they persist with this unfairness.  

Any advice would be so welcome.

Julie 

You cant blame this one on AirBnb,,,

Dear Nina75,

Not sure how you work this one out Nina.  Have a nice day.

How would you like it if someone fumigated next to you.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Julie536  Altho Airbnb definitely makes some unfair decisions, I'm not sure what you feel is unfair in this case. The guest cancelled due to the fumigation issue, you had already been paid for her full reservation and now she will be refunded for the nights she didn't stay. You expect to be able to just keep the money when the guest didn't stay those nights? 

Dear Sarah977, This guest cancelled and left within 24 hours at high season.  I am interested in your remarks re fumigation.  I assume you are a friend of this client.  She had a property which was due to be completed in the area and I believe she got this early and left to go to it.  She had stayed from 29 May to 18 June with no problems.  And forgive me for saying but if a traveller cancels a holiday mid stay it is rare to get a full refund.  I don't suppose your friend mentioned that she allowed squatters from the above apartment into my property to use my bathroom facilities - I assume they didn't complain about this and I doubt my client would have asked them to used unfit facilities?  This is unreasonable as are your assumptions.  Kind Regards.  Julie

@Julie536   What??? No, I do not have any idea who your client is, so she's certainly not my friend. My understanding from your post was that the guest was refunded for the nights she didn't stay, not a full refund for the entire reservation, which of course is unfair to you.

From your post, it sounded like she only cancelled because of the fumigation issue. Nowhere did you state that the $765.75 was the cost of her entire stay. How exactly would I know that.? I just went on what you wrote. I wouldn't want to stay in a place that had just been fumigated, either, asthma or not. But you seem to think she was just using that as an excuse to cancel, which is certainly possible. And of course it's not okay for her to invite other people in without your permission, let alone telling them they can take showers.

Just because someone gives you a response you don't like, it's pretty odd to assume that the responder is a friend of your guest.

Have a nice life. Goodbye😋

Kira32
Level 10
Canary Islands, Spain

@Roi4 

Maybe you are the one who should charge your guest!!!

The washing machine was still working and now you need to pay for technical guy. But since your such a lovely host you won't charge them for anything. 

End of discussion😘

Kira♡

Deanne45
Level 3
Manchester, ME

I had a similar situation except the part to fix was on order. My guest was notified prior to arrival that the dishwasher was not in operation and awaiting arrival of the part. Due to COVID and winter storms across the U.S. the part was backordered. Looking into the purchase of a new dishwasher, also due to COVID back orders a new dishwasher would not have arrived during the guests stay as well. The guest stay was for 1 month. I offered $140 partial refund, $5 per day. The guest is demanding $573, 15% of her total cost including taxes and Airbnb Guest Service Fee. How do you determine a reasonable inconvenience cost?