Not being able to see potential guest photos is making me feel unsafe

Patricia1382
Level 3
Hercules, CA

Not being able to see potential guest photos is making me feel unsafe

I rent three rooms out in my house . I’ve had a mixed bag of guests over the last three years .  I rent the rooms to long term guests moving to the Bay Area that are either interns, traveling medical staff or refinery workers , or just people relocating here who stay while they find more perment housing . I’ve had a murderer , sex phone worker , felon freah out of prison , the latest challange was a prescription drug addict along with 90% regular guest without personal issues .  They all were very nice even the challenged people and there was no way to know their background before they came .  But seeing the photo they use to put their best foot forward went a long way .... I’m scared to keep doing homesharing  through Airbnb at this point and I’m looking at other services I may switch to  but up until now I LOVED Airbnb .  Raved about Airbnb to all my friends , mentored other hosts into the business , used it for travel myself .

Im interviewing a couple of potential guest now and we will see if I can get over this hurdle and take a chance on one of them but right now I’m leary without seeing their photos first 

31 Replies 31
Sabina89
Level 2
Texas, United States

I wish airbnb would change the policy on the profile photos on guest only being available if we select IB. I feel very unsafe accepting first timers, no ratings available etc with no picture. Yesterday was a definite scare for me. Even though I was able to cancel by calling in without penalty I am really considering stopping hosting entirely. The request I got was from a new airbnb user, no ratings no picture. After I accepted I looked him up on FB and lord and behold his cover photo was showing him firing an assault rifle. With the recent events and me being in Texas that gave me an instant anxiety. I immediately called in and advised that I was not comfortable and asked for a cancelation. The rep was very forthcoming. But it did not change the fact that the guest reached out angry with me stating he was out of $300 because it takes 10 days to get his credit back and that he had to eat Ramen. I also am worried that he will drive by once in the local area. I understand he is military but that has nothing to do with the fact that I am totally afraid to walk out of my house now. Four years of Superhost I was in pretty good spirits hosting and recommending airbnb. But after yesterday I am have my doubts. I really wish airbnb would allow us to see a profile photo right away. IB is not for me I tried it and did not like it. I don't think its fair to make that a stipulation to see who we are hosting.

Michelle1588
Level 10
New York, NY

I agree. It's awful to ask a host to stuff their intuition and healthy bias by not looking at a potential guest in the eyes. I'm not sure how long I can stay hosting on this platform with these ridiculous rules. I actually live in my apartment and must use all types of vetting before saying yes. I'm not a hotel. I don't know what's going on with Airbnb but it seems they are growing past their original goal and leaving us out.