Not being able to see potential guest photos is making me feel unsafe

Patricia1382
Level 3
Hercules, CA

Not being able to see potential guest photos is making me feel unsafe

I rent three rooms out in my house . I’ve had a mixed bag of guests over the last three years .  I rent the rooms to long term guests moving to the Bay Area that are either interns, traveling medical staff or refinery workers , or just people relocating here who stay while they find more perment housing . I’ve had a murderer , sex phone worker , felon freah out of prison , the latest challange was a prescription drug addict along with 90% regular guest without personal issues .  They all were very nice even the challenged people and there was no way to know their background before they came .  But seeing the photo they use to put their best foot forward went a long way .... I’m scared to keep doing homesharing  through Airbnb at this point and I’m looking at other services I may switch to  but up until now I LOVED Airbnb .  Raved about Airbnb to all my friends , mentored other hosts into the business , used it for travel myself .

Im interviewing a couple of potential guest now and we will see if I can get over this hurdle and take a chance on one of them but right now I’m leary without seeing their photos first 

31 Replies 31

The thing is, not all of us have 'serious concerns'. A photo isn't going to give me any insight as to whether I'm dealing with a would-be murderer or not. I suspect many other hosts have bigger issues in their lives to deal with. 

I rent three rooms out in my condo and sometimes the entire home. I am  asking all of you who are unhappy about guests not posting their picture,  to complain to airbnb. 

This was still one of the only safe features that airbnb took away from us . It could be psychological but I like to have an idea of who will be stying over as I live in my house and have all my belongings. This is not a hotel  and not empty place, as many other hosts from all over the world may be renting empty places. .

Our images and profile information and details about us:home, location,address etc are all available for the guests but don't see or know anything about them.

Even if we have instant book, canceling each time someone books is time consuming and irritating as I tend to never want to cancel. 

I am sure more guets are kind and perfect but it was a feature I felt more secure with.  .... I’m scared to keep doing homesharing without this feature and not sure how this descrimination has come out. 

I am sure if someone does not want a person in their home, They will create any excuse to get them out and this also creates anymosities.   I am also  looking at other servicesI.  I LOVE Airbnb as I always felt safe. Please help by complaining. as if amny of us do, they can and will bring back this feature.

George511
Level 2
Murfreesboro, TN

Well stated comments.   

I have never used instant book.  I feel Airbnb is a people to people experience.  It is important to me to have some dialoge with my potential guests.  "Unique profile icons" are not a warm and fuzy experience.

Appears a team of probably overpaid lawyers over-rule the back bone of Airbnb....the hosts.

Jake105
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

I haaaate this new thing. I’ve complained to Airbnb help on twitter as well, and of course there’s nothing they’re going to do about it. Hopefully if hosts keep making enough noise they’ll reverse this. 

I have complained to Airbnb also about the hidden photo requirement.  You only get a photo (if you require one in your listing) after a booking is complete.  I need to know who I am working with before they book my property, not after, when it gets messy to cancel or question the potential guest.

This is a big safety issue.  I want to be able to recognize a guest if I stop by.  In our Colorado mountain ski areas,   there is the potential that a parent will reserve a property for their college or worse, high school kids, and the parent(s) won't even be there.  You would never know this without the photo, and received before the booking, when I am much more in control. 

I have had many booking requests from underage people, and the photo was the only tip off, which allowed me to ask about their age, avoiding immense hassle, if they were have been able to check in.  Airbnb's requirements that someone register with only a phone number and an email could let a 10 year old child book a property, wthout seeing a photo first.

Joseph77
Level 2
New York, NY

Would anybody have sex with another person without seeing them first ? I'm serious. This how politically correct our country has become. The answer is NO. But then you are discriminatory towards somebody else. I have small children in my home and I really go not feel comfortable letting somebody into my home without seeing them first. Sorry Airbnb but you got this one wrong. It's bad enough you shove all these loops and holes down our throats. Airbnb does nothing but punish the hosts. We the host not the guests are the ones that make Airbnb a company. However all Airbnb does is find ways to make our hosting more difficult and unsafe. I hosted over 2500 guests in the past 6 years and all I get is threats from Airbnb. Hey your going to be penalized if you cancel or do not accept every reservation. Airbnb never honors my strict cancellation policy. I have spent many hours on the phone having to explain to Airbnb why I should still get my payout because they cancelled the day od arrival. I'm supppse to get a Super Host direct line but end up calling the Philippines. I have had bookings and then the Airbnb profile picture is of a dog's head. Then I have had different guests show up to my door. No profile picture up front. Leads to third party booking and unsafe enviroments. Thanks Airbnb for going out of your way to make hosting more challenging. 

Joseph77
Level 2
New York, NY

Oh one last thing Airbnb. If we accept an instant book and then cancel or cancel because their picture is of a guy w tatts all over his face. It doesn't matter they already have our picture and address. Airbnb should hold back giving out our personal addresss n information for 20 minutes so we can figure out who this potential guest is.

Mike1034
Level 10
Mountain View, CA

Not all guests who hide their photos are bad. But definitely the proportion of bad guests who hide their photos are more than that of good guests.

Enforcing a photo policy and ID verification policy will definitely help to reduce the potential risk and prevent some criminals from using Airbnb as a tool to perform their criminal actions.

Deborah688
Level 2
Brecon, United Kingdom

Hi there! I entirely agree. Such a wierd change. We ARE NOT HOTELS!!! I am single and have guests in my house. We should be able to see what guests look like. I've had a couple of occasions when the photo didn't jive with the profile and/or what the guest said so I didn't accept. I've complained to airbnb but they don't seem to understand, just saying "safety is of great importance". Yeah right, so let us see photos like before. I too am thinking of finding other avenues. Such a shame.

Hi again, 

After reading this conversation and seeing I am not the only one unhappy about this I just sent the following to airbnb cs. Please feel free to copy and do the same: 

Hello, 
I, like others, recently complained to you about the new feature of not allowing us to see guest photos until a booking is complete, and that it potentially affects my safety. I am not alone in this. See here. You really need to change this back to how it was: https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Not-being-able-to-see-potential-guest-photos-is-making-m...
Please don't reply and tell me this or that. Just please change it. This puts us at more risk and is entirely unnecesary. Thanks, Deborah

Brian962
Level 2
Sacramento, CA

Ok, not sure whether or not this works via your chosen phone app or not, but on desktop (at least for me)- click on the spaceholder where the photo used to be and it takes you to the complete guest profile, where a fully visible photo can still be seen prior to accepting a booking.

What a completely stupid and potentially dangerous way for them to try and get around their discrimination problem. Last time I checked, that's what the Report User button is for. It's certainly not for blocking troublesome guests anymore...

Pat334
Level 1
Springfield, MA

I recently relisted a room after a couple of year break from Airbnb.  I was shocked when my first reservations had no photo.  I ABSOLUTELY will not accept reservations unless I know who will be staying in MY house.  As a result, I have removed ALL listings.  I enjoyed my Airbnb guests over the years so much but I picked people I WANTED to stay with me.   The sharing community is all about synergies.  As a guest on Airbnb I would do the SAME thing.  I might not want to stay with a host for tons of reasons just like I might not choose a hotel because it looks like a fleabag.  Is that discrimination??  So...Airbnb.  You need to fix this.  

Afie0
Level 1
San Francisco, CA

I completely agree. Who in the world came up with this idea?! Most likely someone who wanted to show they are doing something with no knowledge of user (hosts) experience. It seems they don't care what their hosts think either. I see so many mentions of this issue here and they still keep hiding guest photos on and off.

Chase39
Level 2
Indianapolis, IN

I agree. I've been traveling with airbnb for years, but just started hosting. I'm getting requests from guests with no profile info, can't see their photos and no reviews. I have to decline. For those of us sharing our homes with guests, we need more information, not less information. If a racist declined me because of the color of my skin, then that's what I would want...I don't want to stay with a racist!!!  Can you imagine getting to someone's home and then experiencing racism face to face? There are so many options to stay. I want to stay with someone who's ok with me based on my profile, photo, reviews, etc. There are other ways to combat racism. Let people report it, airbnb can look into and see if there are any alarming patterns in their acceptance.