Not 'terrible' guests, but wouldn't want them back...Warn other hosts in review???

Deb75
Level 7
Altamont, TN

Not 'terrible' guests, but wouldn't want them back...Warn other hosts in review???

Have taken to heart other experienced hosts pleading with many of us to leave HONEST guest reviews.  I tend to be lenient of 'little things' as I do not want to appear over sensitive or hyper **bleep** about things.

However, am beginning to believe the these young folks were irrensponsible, not terrible, and that other hosts need to be aware.  Agree or not from any out there?

On their honeywoon...20 somethings...seem quite sweet at the meet.  Arrived late, but just within time frame...I always meet as my property is not a self check in do to it's quirks. Listing is very very detail oriented. Day before guests arrive I send a PDF of final directions  that I instruct to print out as my property is out of GPS range after it drops them at mailbox. It's also an 'unusual' property by location, size, style, etc.

I spend about 10 mn famializing them with the little cabin. Plus I go over the 'guide folder' and explain that the two pages of 'guidelines' are house rules, and other information that makes them AND me 'comfortable'. And I explain nicely that it really is required reading. Balance of items are hiking maps, areas of interest, and restaurants, etc etc. And I always ask who is their cell server so I can ascertain whether they can receive or send texts at the cabin as this is a rural location and some servers just don't work. And tell them they can always reach me that way for anything. Really try to go over everything and what I do and don't is in the two pages.

On two occasions, once when he texted me with a question regarding a destination, I answered in detail (despite the information was in the 'guide folder'). And the other occasion I contact them on the morning of check out to ask their time frame and explained I prefer to see them off and thank them personally for their stay (I live in the farmhouse about 250' discreetly away)

In both instances I got not response, despite their being able to text me.  I asked after the first text if they got the message. Some time later "oh yeah, thanks"...Ok..no biggie.

I had no other contact with them for their 4 day stay. Ok with me.

On the am of their departure I sent the second text.  Nothing came back. About 15 mn before the check out time I see them back out of the driveway and leave. Ok..whatever.. Rarely happens but it has. 

I go to cabin.  Chocolate ice cream stains on the front porch (not large, but on the little table, the floor and the antique crock, etc) .  Cabin is 'messy' as in grass, track in debri, etc. Ok. it's a farm. But I provide a broom and dust pan, hardwood floors, etc.  Couch has similar issues.  A/C is OFF, which is clearly stated as not what to do in the two pages (leave at 78).  Shower was used and is still had dripping water down the walls (please wipe shower down after every use as water leaves spotting on metal walls)  Counter tops have crumbs, as does little cooktop (please clean everything that you use upon check out).  Decorative non functional burlap curtains have been untied and forcibly attemped to be closed (they do not and are hung on a rustic stick so will not slide, another No No from the two page 'guide')  . Curtain under the sink cabinet, ditto.  A fork missing from the 4 provided.  Just a general aura of 'disrespect' or misunderstanding of what staying in a home vs a hotel is????  Garbage taken out of the two cans, but bags not replaced (provided and stated in the 'guide') .  

So nothing atrocious, but not guests I would want back since they don't seem to 'get it'. But nothing horrible??  I am planning to leave a 'positively' worded review but feel I still MUST cover these things that I no longer feel are 'minor'....

Would like some feedback for or against my plan,  and suggestions as to wording.....as I have 10 days to leave the review.   Oh, they left a sweet, positive message in the guest book.  Thanks

33 Replies 33
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

Gosh, it sounds like these guests were not a good match with your many requirements. I wouldn’t be either! Their behavior and condition of space as left is normal from my point of view. As for your review, just keep it factual and state the facts. I would not hesitate to book these guests based on your description but hosts with similar expectations could. Maybe you should ask future guests to confirm your expectations in writing before booking.

Deb75
Level 7
Altamont, TN

Really?  ok...am sensing that my requirements are out of the norm?  Just asking...have not had any trouble with prior guests (out of the  1 or 2 that have been what I'd expect with as many as I've had and I have not left anything but a positive review even for them)   

I don't mind most of the above, except the ruined curtains, the uncleanliness and the missing utinsel... my question was based on perhaps they just didn't understand the Airbnb experience (they were newbies) and so perhaps I would just be able to be constructive as to taking better care of a property?  From the overall 'disaray' of many things inside, I just got the feeling they were careless in how they lived in the cabin.  But  thanks for your feedback.

The way my luck has been going I wish I had your guests. But seriously, it sounds like you’re alittle picky. But it’s your place and you have a right to be..to and extent. Or maybe just take the good with the bad. If that’s the worst you’ll encounter then that’s a win correct ? 

Deb75
Level 7
Altamont, TN

I agree, I do take the good with the bad and have had very very few that even fall below kind good ..But some of the picky things are necessary.... I have limestone well water. If the shower isn't wiped down (in my house as well) the spots left will not be removable as the shower walls are metal as are the sinks..especially after 4 days... So a simple request...the curtains were expressly described as decorative, I even tell people they do not close and ask them verbally not to attempt...(they are totally private so no need to close them...)  so expressly disassmebling them and ignoring the house rules????  leaving the place dirty is being picky? I leave cleaning supplies, and ask that they do nominol tidying  and I do not charge a cleaning fee, so to  ask that guests clean up after themselves is within reason. I would think.    (and it was dirty) it's an unusual propery.  and the two pages are not all ' requirements', but information and helpful hints as to how to get to know the cabin, how to operate the mechanicals,  and the surrounding property, and what I can do to help them if needed.  But I think I will just give a private discussion with them as to what they could expect and do in the future  .  Nothing critical but constructive.  This is not the usual 'cabin in Gatlinburg' sort of place'.  But again, I appreciate the input. 

Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

I think you are being wildly picky, to be honest. But, your house, your rules, EXCEPT....

You sent the pdf the day before arrival. That would have been the day of or the day before their wedding if they were honeymooners. Not enough time.

I can't quite tell when you hit them with the two pages of "guidelines" which you then call rules. Sorry, these are NOT rules. The only rules are the ones in your listing per AirBNB. There is no indication that I can find in your listing that there are two pages of rules that you will outline upon their arrival.

Some of your other expectations– newlyweds should respond to texts, should know that curtains are decorative and not functional, should replace trash bags, wipe down a shower wall– sound really onerous. Even my mother-in-law didn't have such expectations when I visited her!

I think you do need to reword your listing to indicate the requirements that you have of your guests so that people can choose your listing based on full knowledge.

Emily440
Level 3
Salem, OR

Yeah, I agree with above. Honeymooners! And all you think about are such petty housekeeping things. I should hope they were paying more attention to each other than your "rules." I would be delighted to host them. They sound adorable.

Deb75
Level 7
Altamont, TN

no., they were married several days before, and I was aware of this as I make an effort to get to know my guests in advance....and these, as stated above, are not all 'rules'...please read the above...there are 'requests' that help keep the cabin in good condition as well as help my guests get oriented in an unusual property..   I have never had a problem with these 'guidelines' (and they are so notated, not 'rules') and are  introduced in person with everyone who is a guest....  I don't 'hit' them.  That's not accurate at all..I go over it carefully with them, the entire booklet with all the area information, maps, etc, at check in...Most of my guests book here BECAUSE it's unique and  unusual and therefore needing a bit more introduction than most...I've had over 115 guests between Airbnb and the other site in just over 14 months and have never had a complaint about this 'guide book'..and 99% of my guests seem to be happy with it... have had some messy folk,  only one really bad one,  and  have ignored it,  but haven't had anyone take the curtains apart, lose utinsels, move around and rearrange antique cooking pans that were hanging on a wall,  leave the place dirty, and apparently slam the refrigerator so hard as to move it backward, and other sundry  things that gave the impression that they didn't have the respect for my home and property...and in the past I've gone ahead and given good reviews on less than ideal guests because I did not want to hurt their chances of another booking at a later date,  but have read repeatedly here that hosts prefer a more 'honest' review to help them decide on accepting a reservation. It's all I was asking, to see if it mattered whether I left a nice review based on their personalities or a more accurate one based on how they treated the property....

Deb75
Level 7
Altamont, TN

really, by the way. I left them a special gift,  a wedding card, and flowers for their special stay... you make it sound like I'm an ogre when all I was asking is what kind of review to leave so as to help other hosts....

thanks all...I have my answer ....they'll get a glowing review....

Noel63
Level 10
Coober Pedy, Australia

I think I need more rules. I just hosted a superhost who managed to spill red wine all over the kitchen, including inside the fridge and freezer. It looked like they attempted to clean it up, but they did a terrible job. It was on every cupboard door and even inside some of the kitchen cupboards. I honestly don't know how they did it. The microwave was an absolute pigsty and they took  supplies with them.

Do it Noel? It really is the pits when guests are careless, and worse when you add clueless into the equation. I had fish and frozen shellfish debris and juice in my freezer. Smelt like the local fish markets, and difficult to remove the smell... but have managed it! Try Gumltiin in the red liquor stains, or bicarbonate of soda. 

- Taking provisions from you, where you pay big prices like in Coober, is unforgivable.

Direspectful and cheap!

I had Aussie campers decant from my full Vegemite jar, or took my full one and left me their near empty one! How “low” can you go? Lol.... (wasn’t laughing at the time)

Noel63
Level 10
Coober Pedy, Australia

Thanks @Cathie19 shellfish juice smell must have been tough to get out. The Vegemite would have annoyed me too.

I hope you gave them a very low star rating, plus a "do not recommend" secret thumbs down.   And took supplies with them, that's such bad manners.  I always expect Superhosts who stay to be good GUests.  Eeekk. Hosts need to be aware of these Guests. 

Noel63
Level 10
Coober Pedy, Australia

@Jan209It surprised me too

John1080
Level 10
Westcliffe, CO

@Deb75, I am with you and I guess I'm picky too. I'm still a novice, having hosted 23 groups and only having one group that has left a mess so far. I am very detailed in my rules in the listing, in my pre-approval message, my pre-arrival message and check-out message, which I think has helped.

Both my cleaning crew and I expect things to be put back as they were and I feel the norm should be that one cannot tell people have been there except for things like linens and towels. 

I am also in agreement with you about the communication. No matter if they were on their honeymoon or not, if they are asking you questions, they should have the courtesy to acknowledge your time.

As long as nothing was broken, I would leave 3 or 4 stars across the board and a brief review stating that communication was poor and the house was left a bit messy.