Now is a good time to think about food waste

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Now is a good time to think about food waste

Food-waste-image-1024x683.jpg

As the supermarket shelves empty due to panic stockpiling, now is not a bad time to think about how you buy, use and dispose of food. In the current circumstances, buying what you don't need/more than you need may be depriving someone else who does actually need it. My mother, for example, could not find bread nor eggs, forcing her to repeatedly venture to the supermarkets in search of them, putting herself at risk (she is elderly and has a heart condition, so is in the top 1% of people at risk of dying from COVID-19).

The people who can help her with her shopping either do not have the transport to do so or, by the time they finish work and can go to the shops, the shelves are empty. Online delivery is not an option as all the slots here have been booked into next month by people stockpiling. She is not the worst off. She is still mobile. Some people are not. Some people have even more serious conditions that put them at even more risk. Many supermarkets here in the UK have started rationing certain products and/or introducing shopping slots for the elderly and disabled, but still the shelves are empty of certain necessities.

Please people, stop stockpiling and have a thought for others!

In addition, did you know that around one third of the food produced around the world goes to waste? Did you know that this waste accounts for something like 8-10% of the world's greenhouse gases, so is seriously damaging our environment and our future?

Apart from buying less, I have a few suggestions:

- Keep an eye on what you have in your fridge and kitchen and try to use it before it goes off. There are eco friendly devices that can help keep vegetables etc. fresher for longer and there are Apps that help you to plan recipes around what you already have.

- For those of you in areas where supermarkets, local convenience stores, restaurants, cafes, bakeries etc. etc. are still operating, there may be Apps that allow you to buy unsold food that is still fresh, but would otherwise be thrown away, at discounted prices. You save money, you help to save the environment, and you might just be helping to save businesses that are really struggling to survive right now. It is better for them to get something, rather than nothing, for unsold food. Apps in the UK (might be available elsewhere, I'm not sure), include Karma and Too Good to Go.

- Go through your freezer and larder. Is there stuff lurking in there that you could use for your next meal? Get creative with recipes so you don't automatically have to go and buy more food. Think about what you could donate to a food bank or similar charity. There are also Apps where you can give unwanted food to your neighbours.

- Talking of the freezer, it's very easy to freeze bread, fruit and all sorts of things before they go off so they can be consumed later. Do be mindful though of food safety and don't refreeze stuff that it's not safe to do.

- If you have time on your hands, which many of us do, or are looking for ways to keep young ones occupied, think about using some of your foodstuffs to make jams, chutneys etc. Over ripe bananas are perfect for making banana cake/bread and I recently made up a few jars of chutney from courgettes and tomatoes I knew I wouldn't get through. If you put them in nice jars and label them, these can make great homemade gifts. 

- Is bread scarce at your supermarket? Think about baking your own, especially if you have that "unwanted gift" of a breadmaker sitting around. I bet if you baked it yourself, you would be more reluctant to throw it away!

- Inevitably, you will have some scraps to throw away, such as peelings, egg shells, used tea bags and coffee grounds. If your local council has a food waste collection scheme, please use it. If you have a garden, try composting (could save you money too, as well as reducing the environmentally damaging peat based compost you might be buying). 

I am slowing working through my cupboards and freezer. I am actually astounded by how often I think, "I have nothing to eat.. better pop to the shops," when actually I have lots of food. Previous guests leave so much behind. Don't throw it away! Think of how you might use it, or give it to someone who will.

106 Replies 106
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sarah977 That’s priceless. Annoying as it must have been, it’s also very impressive. I have to give them kudos for that. Shame you don’t have it on video. That’s instagram gold. You could have made your fortune 😂

That's hilarious, our beloved Lily dog was very subservient to all the cats in her life ( she lived to be 18) but she figured out that cats were not allowed on the table & would woof at any feline who casually stood up on a dining room chair and raised a paw, this was so humiliating it stopped all attempts. Our cat Arthur used to sample her food from time to time just to show he could but if she tasted his he would bust her chops. She was a very good dog

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sally221 

Mmm, maybe I need a Lily-like dog to get my felines in line. I fear, however, any dog introduced into my household would have a hard time mastering my three little monsters.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

My working-from-home adventure has seen me discover what the cat gets up to in my (normal) absence. She's ridiculously agile and can get a pouch of food open with ease. Thought I'd seen it all...

44E4C6FE-ECFD-410C-B839-9DC894A523C4_1_201_a.jpeg

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Mark116 

I don't know if you get these ads in your neck of the woods, but the sum it all up for me in relation to the cats:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3FWX8DmDhM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CcgEkAHrc0

But this has always been my favourite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmJhv6W_URY 

It's the nitrogen rich stuff that makes the heat and the drier stuff like cardboard that prevents the slimy stink by providing air spaces. Shredding up the stuff so it gets evenly moist but not soggy -think a wet but wrung out sponge will speed things along, the bigger the pieces the longer they will take. to compost. Scratch your pup on the chest for me, we are currently without a canine & I'm deprived of my daily cuddles with neighbor's dogs right now & I miss  them all.

@Mike-And-Helen0  It's green stuff that heats the pile- grass and plant clippings. Also manure, if you have access to any.

Two horses, sooo much manure here!

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Huma0 @Gordon0 

I  just saw this, a restaurant supplier, Natoora,  is trying to sell their food via this app since restaurants are mostly closed, it looks like at least now this is only available in London.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-22/restaurant-suppliers-are-stuck-with-tons-of-unsol...

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Mark116 

Thanks for this. I will definitely have a look. I did sign up for a trial period with a food delivery company before we had any idea that things were going to go in this direction, but delayed it as I thought I would be travelling for work! So, I personally will have enough fresh produce for my needs for most of April. After that, I may well order using this App if it is still an option.  I like the idea of supporting smaller farmers

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Mark116 

I just had a closer look at Natoora, although I have not tried to use it yet. It looks like a great idea. However, if anyone is thinking of giving this App a try, do please carefully read the FAQs beforehand, as the company suggests, because it was originally designed for chefs who order in large quantities, so you could very easily accidentally order 5kg of butter! As a private, rather than business customer, the company suggests that you go for 'unit's where possible, otherwise by kg, but not by box as these can be very large.

Also, there is  no final order confirmation to complete. You add things to your basket and it will automatically process an order for whatever is in that basket at midnight. You also will not see the total cost of your order until after it has processed and been shipped, when you get a receipt. So, it is up to you to figure out how much you are spending. Don't forget to factor in the £6 delivery charge. There is no minimum order either.

So, certainly, it seems like a great idea. Just be a bit careful how much you add to the basket and make sure only what you want is in the basket before midnight, otherwise you might end up wasting food rather than rescuing it!

@Huma0  Interesting.  Sounds like they haven't really reworked it too well  yet for the current circumstances.  I'm going to try the Too Good to Go app you mentioned in your OP and see if anything in NJ v. NYC comes up.  I think t here was another London based company also mentioned in the Bloomberg article that was doing a delivery of basic goods, bread, butter, eggs, oil and whatever fruit/veg they have on hand, but since it isn't available here I didn't go into  much detail.  I'm glad to see that companies are trying to innovate, both to save themselves and stop waste of food that everyone is hoarding. 

On the cat note, our cats are thrilled the airbnb is empty since it increases their hang out space by 30% and gives them access to the ground level windows. We usually keep them out of it even when it isn't occupied because they get cat hair everywhere, but since it looks like it will be a few months we put a cover on the sofa, covered the chairs with quilts, but 'bad' bedding on the bed and opened it up.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Mark116  I will have another look at the article and the app you mentioned.

Too Good To Go looks cool, but there are not that many places close to me and you need to pick up. I am going to try out the ones that are, but the others would involve me travelling on public transport, which I'd rather avoid right now.

Karma is an alternative to the regular take away delivery Apps. I really like the idea, but they had nothing close to me when I checked.

Perhaps more businesses will sign up to these kind of Apps now though given that they are probably wasting a lot more food than usual. Perhaps they are just not that aware of them yet.

@Huma0 I found Too Good To Go online, but am unable to find the app on my phone.  The online version talks about the company and the mission, however I wasn't able to figure out how to determine if they service the Chicago area or how to order anything from them.  Any tips?

@Jody79  The same thing happened to me it looks like it needs an Iphone or a new android, so I'm going to try it on our iphone, which is newish,  as the Samsung is apparently too old to download it.