Now is a good time to think about food waste

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Now is a good time to think about food waste

Food-waste-image-1024x683.jpg

As the supermarket shelves empty due to panic stockpiling, now is not a bad time to think about how you buy, use and dispose of food. In the current circumstances, buying what you don't need/more than you need may be depriving someone else who does actually need it. My mother, for example, could not find bread nor eggs, forcing her to repeatedly venture to the supermarkets in search of them, putting herself at risk (she is elderly and has a heart condition, so is in the top 1% of people at risk of dying from COVID-19).

The people who can help her with her shopping either do not have the transport to do so or, by the time they finish work and can go to the shops, the shelves are empty. Online delivery is not an option as all the slots here have been booked into next month by people stockpiling. She is not the worst off. She is still mobile. Some people are not. Some people have even more serious conditions that put them at even more risk. Many supermarkets here in the UK have started rationing certain products and/or introducing shopping slots for the elderly and disabled, but still the shelves are empty of certain necessities.

Please people, stop stockpiling and have a thought for others!

In addition, did you know that around one third of the food produced around the world goes to waste? Did you know that this waste accounts for something like 8-10% of the world's greenhouse gases, so is seriously damaging our environment and our future?

Apart from buying less, I have a few suggestions:

- Keep an eye on what you have in your fridge and kitchen and try to use it before it goes off. There are eco friendly devices that can help keep vegetables etc. fresher for longer and there are Apps that help you to plan recipes around what you already have.

- For those of you in areas where supermarkets, local convenience stores, restaurants, cafes, bakeries etc. etc. are still operating, there may be Apps that allow you to buy unsold food that is still fresh, but would otherwise be thrown away, at discounted prices. You save money, you help to save the environment, and you might just be helping to save businesses that are really struggling to survive right now. It is better for them to get something, rather than nothing, for unsold food. Apps in the UK (might be available elsewhere, I'm not sure), include Karma and Too Good to Go.

- Go through your freezer and larder. Is there stuff lurking in there that you could use for your next meal? Get creative with recipes so you don't automatically have to go and buy more food. Think about what you could donate to a food bank or similar charity. There are also Apps where you can give unwanted food to your neighbours.

- Talking of the freezer, it's very easy to freeze bread, fruit and all sorts of things before they go off so they can be consumed later. Do be mindful though of food safety and don't refreeze stuff that it's not safe to do.

- If you have time on your hands, which many of us do, or are looking for ways to keep young ones occupied, think about using some of your foodstuffs to make jams, chutneys etc. Over ripe bananas are perfect for making banana cake/bread and I recently made up a few jars of chutney from courgettes and tomatoes I knew I wouldn't get through. If you put them in nice jars and label them, these can make great homemade gifts. 

- Is bread scarce at your supermarket? Think about baking your own, especially if you have that "unwanted gift" of a breadmaker sitting around. I bet if you baked it yourself, you would be more reluctant to throw it away!

- Inevitably, you will have some scraps to throw away, such as peelings, egg shells, used tea bags and coffee grounds. If your local council has a food waste collection scheme, please use it. If you have a garden, try composting (could save you money too, as well as reducing the environmentally damaging peat based compost you might be buying). 

I am slowing working through my cupboards and freezer. I am actually astounded by how often I think, "I have nothing to eat.. better pop to the shops," when actually I have lots of food. Previous guests leave so much behind. Don't throw it away! Think of how you might use it, or give it to someone who will.

106 Replies 106

Thanks @Mike-And-Helen0 . Unfortunately I have never seen those in my local Lidl, even though I am normally in there often and they advertised months ago that they were in every store.

i will ask them about it, but right now, everything is flying off the shelves do I don’t think they have much veg likely to go to waste.

i am hoping that, once people realise they have got too much at home already, they will stop buying so much. The supermarkets are repeatedly insisting that there is enough stock for everyone if folks just stop mass buying.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Hello @Huma0 @Gordon0 @Sally221 @Sarah977 @Mark116 @Mike-And-Helen0 

@Jody79  and others, excellent topic.

I couldn't agree more about the greedy and selfish people buying all the stock at the supermarket and other places.

When we first had news from the Politicians at the end of February things were going to be addressed we witnessed a woman take 18 packets of Protex soap from the shelf, toilet paper  & sanitisers went out the door like lightening.

I do know who has taken and eaten all the chocolate peppermint Easter Eggs and it wasn't me!

One positive is that meat has reduced in price so people who may not have had the opportunity to have it in their meals can now have it, alas, we did witness some grabbing upwards of 15 packets.

Coffee grounds are great in the garden, I tend to bury my minimal food scraps into the garden and mix them in. Birds have loved it over summer to.

@Huma0  your photo of your cat in the kitchen reminded me of when I had mine.

I came home one day to find the rug on the floor folded up like it had a parcel in it.

I could swear I'd walked into my home been unlawfully entered and they had had been disturbed, but no, my cat had very proudly wrapped her favourite toys in it whilst I was out.

It to this day brings a smile to my face.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Helen427  that's so cute. I wonder why he/she did that! I would so love to read their minds sometimes.

Yes, some people gone really crazy with the stockpiling. Who needs 18 packets of soap?!! Here the shelves have been cleared of sanitary products for quite a while, which no doubt is causing distress to the women who now can't get any. Even all the incontinence pads went!

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Huma0 @Jody79 @Kath9 @Sarah977 @Mark116 

It's times like now we must treasure with our animals and nature, we have so much to learn from them.

They are far more cleverer than what we take them for.

As you will know I take pride in my listings links to Nurture with nature.

My cat used to have a little game she used to play with me when I traveled away overseas and came back. She'd go round and visit others in my home & ignore me until the lights were all out, in bed  and then prod me on my stomach and hit me in the face!!

I think they have there way of reminding us "Who's in charge little girl??!!!"

She was hilarious during the Korean/ Japan World Cup soccer / football cup.

We used to watch the games, then once the TV was off and we had all gone to bed started pawing her favourite hollow ball and hit it around the lounge into the walls like a soccer player on a football field :).

My visits to Cornwall Park have taught me to laugh & enjoy life, watching lambs line up in groups having their head butting competitions when they are young are so funny to watch.

They are known to at the strike of 5.30pm round up with a run around then gather together and, one watches from the finish, two by tow they will run together, then head butt each other as the others watch on.

I've also seen them line up in similar fashion and have running competitions at dusk, just like we humans have running competitions.

My Monarch butterflies have also taught me how as insects they to gather together just like we humans.

The mother monarch flies by at different times of the day & checks on the caterpillars as they grow.

I lost a couple of earlier ones and notice that the most recent ones that have gone to turn to chrysalises have really hidden away, partially I suspect to keep away from a wasp and because we have had such a great summer here, without so much dew on there home.

Btw, we all need to learn from animals, next time you are near them, watch them when they are eating how many times they chew the same piece of food, well maybe lambs, cows and the likes more than our naughty but nice dogs & cats.

We Human's should take a leaf out of how they eat their food sources...

Perhaps we also need to look at where in the world we have changed animals natural functioning anatomy and allow them to grow horns again as they had them to forage for food & water in the ground & flick off flies. The earth seemed to function better with nature in it's natural state for our wider betterment.

@Helen427  I dump coffee grounds in our flower beds as well.  I've tried composting, but like @Huma0 I've never been successful at it.  We do have a garbage disposal, so most of the waste goes there.  I wish Chicago had a composting service, I would definitely use it.  I hadn't thought about mixing some of the produce waste into the soil in my flower beds though.  I think I'm going to try that.

Just made a big pot of chicken noodle soup using leftover veggies I had in the fridge (fennel, sweet peppers, carrots, onions, a bit of mushrooms, celery...).  Turned out yummy and have plenty left over to freeze for later when we don't have time to cook something up. 🙂

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Jody79  flick off the wastemaster and think where it goes to in the waterways...

We all need to do  more composting and think twice what we can actually eat.

I get annoyed with those who sell our vegetables and cut off the outer leaves of brocolli, cauliflower and similar vegetables as they are soooo yummy crunchy and peppery in flavour and great in fresh salads and soups and smoothies/ juices.

I've seen bins ladden with those leaves outside our supermarkets and wish they would be more responsible.

If those vegetables were not supposed to have those leaves they wouldn't have them.

Maybe it's a hangover from heavy pesticide use like DDT that's done it however I'd like to think we have thankfully changed with our growing practices.

Chemical companies have much to learn what they do to food sources.

Don't start me on the waste of bread and sandwiches at a local small operated supermarket as it appalls me, Bread can be sliced, frozen and used.

It's time those in the food business stopped and asked themselves what they are doing and if we really need so many items produced that get thrown out.

@Helen427 I chop the stems and leaves from veggies such as cauliflower, broccoli, kale, swiss chard, etc that I'm not going to be using in that days meal into small pieces and place them in a bowl or bag that I keep in the freezer for them.  They are then used when I make soups, stews or some sauces.  I almost never peel veggies like potatoes and carrots, I actually like the skins.  To me they add flavor and texture.

I freeze the butt ends of bread loaves and use them when I need bread crumbs or bread pudding, rarely does bread get wasted in our house.

We still throw stuff out and more recently I've been trying to find ways to waste less.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Jody79 

I always freeze some bread (including the ends). As a single person, it's hard for me to get through a whole loaf. The bread is perfect fine toasted straight from the freezer. I also saw a documentary once where they said that freezing breaks down some of the carbs, so it's one way to reduce the carbs in your diet if you eat a lot of bread.

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

I also throw my overripe bananas in their skins, straight into the freezer.

They are already wrapped!

Use them in banana bread,  muffins, fruit smoothies and the big hit with my grandkids, is banana pancakes with cinnamon and nutmeg in the batter.

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Huma0, excellent topic, thanks for posting. Yes to composting, yes to bread-baking, I do both anyway. Sourdough is really easy if you can get (or make) a starter. Pickled vegetables is a great way to use up leftover veggies - onions, cabbage, carrots, beets, radishes, cauliflower. Just slice them thinly and pickle them in apple cider vinegar, sugar and salt (plus whatever spices e.g. cumin seeds, black peppercorns, coriander seeds, etc.). I always have a big jar in my fridge. Similarly, sauerkraut. Veggie tops and skins that would otherwise be thrown away can be used to make stock.

Re dogs and vegetables, I feed my dog brown rice, lentils and lots of cooked veggies (potato, sweet potato, carrots, cauli, kale, peas, zucchini). I cook up a big batch every 3-4 days and feed it to her with eggs or sardines. She loves it and is super healthy (15 and no sign of slowing down!).

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

Oh and on the window box topic, I'm getting my son (who is currently in quarantine with me for 2 weeks, having just flown back from the UK) to make me exactly that! Herbs just outside my kitchen window, yes!

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

How's that window Box of yours @Kath9 

What do you have planted in it?
Do you still have your dog?

Or has he gone to Rainbow Heaven ?

Hi @Helen427 ! I've been a bit out of the Airbnb loop lately. I've been a volunteer campground host for the last three months, so have been living in my van, and have just landed a six-month contract as Deputy Camp Manager of Mornington Wilderness Camp (owned by the Australian Wildlife Conservancy) in the central Kimberley (far-north WA). It's super remote, 7 hours from the nearest town on one of the roughest 4WD roads in Australia. I'll be living in a tent for the next six months! I'm super excited and super nervous at the same time.

Actually, the only reason I could accept such a job is that my beautiful girl has now gone to rainbow heaven. She almost made it to 17. I miss her terribly, but this is the first time in 26 years I've been unencumbered by children or pets, so off I go!

The poor window box - I've resorted to succulents because I've been here so little I never got to water the poor herbs. But it still looks nice!

Hope all's good in Airbnb world.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Wow, what an incredible adventure to be on @Kath9 

You will have so much fun outdoors and dare I say it, ''Nurturing with Nature".

When and if you have access to the internet whilst out in the outback, please share some photos and your artworks.

Australia has incredible Botanicals, animals and nature in general, oh and of course people.

Take Care and have a fabulous time.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Kath9photos please for us all including @Stephanie @Quincy @Francesca @Huma0 @Jody79  and everyone else to enjoy!!