Now listen carefully everyone!

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

Now listen carefully everyone!

Do you have the feeling this is our CEO........

12347643_1665563353683189_5005886285506753843_n.jpg

Every day we are confronted with a new revelation. Every day puts new doubts in our minds.

But, I have found the last month to be really stress free. I have been able to spend some time with my kids and 'grandies', I have not had that daily bed to make, cottage to service. One morning I slept until 9.15 am...and I didn't feel guilty out it. I have had a few guests over the past few weeks but, now there is nothing because I can't take a risk that Ade might pick up the coronavirus. She is on imuno suppressant drugs for her MS which leaves her particularly vulnerable! And I have suddenly realised, I have my life back.

I hate what this is doing to the world , but in actual fact it has been good for my family. It has taken some of the emphasis off, my life and other people.

Youngest daughter Kate and her partner Chris just bought and moved into a house on the central coast of NSW..

main.jpg

Seeing as they had that pool, I borrowed @Fred13  'Bird Island' water taxi for the grandies to have a bit of fun in.......

IMG20200218171230.jpg

As we were going over for a few weeks Kate said she really wanted the rear porch and outside laundry made into a 'mud room'. So I put my hand up to supply and build it for her.

The porch was just a junk area at the back of the house......

IMG20200220173924.jpg

If you look closely at those glass panel doors you will notice, they don't match! The goose who put those doors in, bought 12 of them when he last remodeled the house, and by the time he came to the back door he used the best two of the four that remained....never mind that they didn't match...those two required the least restoration work for him at the time. The end result of that was there was an identical set of doors under the house that.....did not match.

I bought what I needed, built a frame......

IMG20200220173959.jpg

I did the required renovation work on the doors (except for the painting which I hate and didn't want to get involved with) and re-matched the doors so they were at least in matching pairs.......

IMG20200223191759.jpg

And Kate ended up with her mudroom......complete with enclosed laundry.

IMG20200228221546.jpg

IMG20200302202239.jpg

She was so over the moon and I felt a real sense of achievement ....and I was just able to concentrate on something other than Airbnb.

I am looking forward to this break from hosting, the last two years have been solid going, just received our last Superhost notification which showed we hosted 106 reservations for the year comprising over 300 hosting nights.

It really is time for a break where I can chalk up some quality time,  maybe get to give @Sarah977 a run for her money and spend some more here....if I will be tolerated!

I don't wish ill on anyone but right now, the smell of roses is pretty good! I hope other hosts can get a bit of comfort out of the situation we have been thrust into and I wish you all a safe passage over this next few months.

Cheers.......Rob

39 Replies 39
Ute42
Level 10
Germany

Hi @Robin4  ,

Thank You for the 1st picture, it gave me a good laugh.

Is it ok to laugh in these days? I'm not sure.

I must say though that I didn't laugh on purpose, it just escaped me.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Ute42 

Well there are two interpretations to that picture Ute!

Either Jesus had better communication skills than Mr Chesky.....or he had more competent reliable disciples!

I am not sure about the German language, but in English we have an expression....."Laughter is the best medicine"

Don't be afraid to laugh, it won't cost you anything, and it will make you feel better!

Stay safe Ute.

Cheers.....Rob

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Robin4 @Ute42  

That picture made me laugh as well. I think you hit the nail on the head.

So, yesterday was probably the first day where I started to feel less frustrated. Spring has finally sprung here in London (who knows how long it will last) and I have been able to get out in the garden and get some serious work done there for the first time in months, as well as some much needed Vitamin D.

Unfortunately, as you might be aware, Brits can't resist a bit of sunshine as we get so little of it, so the parks and other areas have been crowded, possibly seriously hindering the lock down and social distancing efforts. Government and local councils are cracking down on sunbathers now and threatening to remove the right for that one hour of daily outdoors exercise.

Still, it's easy to point the fingers at others. I have the good fortune of my tiny city garden, where I can bask in the sun. Many, many others here don't and I can only imagine how stifled they feel staying inside when the Spring finally emerges after all these long Winter months. It's too much temptation unfortunately, but it does remind me again of reasons why I should be grateful for what I have.

@Robin4 

I hope you don't mind if I add that 1st picture to my screensaver folder - it made me laugh too.... a lot~! @Ute42 @Huma0 

I'm actually more busy at work than I used to be - because business travel has been banned, the # of conference calls at the office has increased exponentially, and with the time difference between continents, it's been hard to juggle all the extra meetings I've had to support. Henry on the other hand..... with no guest and a mostly empty house on weekdays has taken spring cleaning to a new level, has been working out more, and doing more cooking at home. I showed your renovation work photos to Henry and he was very envious of the pool... Lol~

So glad you and Ade are well..... stay safe~~

great post

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

@Robin4  Lovely post!

I have been having similar feelings. For the first time in nearly 3 years, my house is.....mine. And mine alone! I love hosting, but it's also a nice feeling to not feel inhibited in any way while enjoying my home. I've gotten a ton of yard work and other projects done that would not have happened if I was busy hosting. And my place is going to be in great shape when this situation subsides and I'm ready to welcome guests again!

@Suzanne302 

Henry and I were saying more or less the same thing last weekend...... that while we (sometimes) miss having a guest around..... at the same time, it's soooooo~ nice to have the house to ourselves. 

Stay safe~! 

god **bleep**

Donald28
Level 10
Lithia Springs, GA

"maybe get to give @Sarah977 a run for her money " 

LOL this IS funny becuase it's true! 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Donald28 

Don, we are out at a party and Ade will lean over and say in my ear...."For Christ sake shut-up and give someone else a go"! 

I am a talker, that's what I love about hosting, I get to have some wonderful conversations with a heap of lovely people.

And it carries through to here, I like what I have with my social media sites, it gives me the opportunity to talk to other people!

Stay safe Don, you guys are having a bit of a rocky ride at the moment! All the best.

Cheers......Rob