Number of Guests Booking: Suggestion for Airbnb

Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

Number of Guests Booking: Suggestion for Airbnb

Please take this poll:  http://goo.gl/forms/7otIJChX7d

I have seen a common issue posted on the Community Center which happens with several hosts on Airbnb and that is with the number of guests people book for and the number of guests who show up at the door.  This is often a result of 1) a guest trying to "sneak" in extra guests because the host charges extra per person over "X" amount or 2) some guests feel that children should or are not considered people/guests.

Airbnb states that, ""You need to disclose the total number of guests accurately when making reservation requests, including infants and children (Travelling with children)." Now most people would not even know where to find this and it is not on the booking page when you choose the number of guests.  

Airbnb needs to change the way guests book when it comes to inputing the number of guests.  By guests showing up at a host's listing with more people than the host is expecting puts the guest and the host in a difficult position.  It is essentially starting the Airbnb experience out as a negative experience.  Any number of things could happen including 1) the host turning the guest away or only allowing the number of guests in that were booked or 2) putting the burden onto the host by now having to charge for extra guests.  This is not good for the Airbnb brand and you can bet the host will not be getting a favourable review even though the situation was not their fault.

I would like to see Airbnb add a box for the number of children that will be staying just like the airlines and hotels have on their sites.  This would also help out for those hosts who have not checked off "Family Friendly" as the search would not even show their listing if the children box is filled out.

What are your thoughts and experiences of extra guests showing up at your doorstep?  Should this be something that Airbnb should implement or leave it as it is?  

Please share your thoughts below AND complete this quick 2 question survey: http://goo.gl/forms/7otIJChX7d (Results of the poll are here: https://goo.gl/9lTWbD)

Here are a couple of examples of what Airbnb could include:

children.png

children2.png 

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

156 Replies 156
Cj23
Level 2
Austin, TX

This happens to me so much , now I have to greet potential bookers with, "More than one person showing up to stay at the property will result in an immediate cancellation without a refund"

This is getting out of hand and Airbnb needs to do something about it. 

Scott378
Level 1
Gainesville, FL

We are new hosts and have a nice home with a pool, hot tub and outdoor kitchen.  It seems we get requests for 1 or 2 guest.  Then I get a message about 8 people coming, we sleep up to 8.  When you advise that they need to put in for 8 guests, the negotiating starts.  Of course, once that happens you start worrying about your rating.  I feel there needs to be a better way to confirm guests.  I have a camera on my front door so I can see how many come in but nowhere else.  

@Scott378 

I have a fantastic idea for you that has been working at my 5 other Airbnb listings that I am the Co-Host in HAWAII and outside of Hawaii. I’m in charge of all check ins and Check Outs too. And we have outside security cameras too.  Make sure your listing reads that you have a security camera as it’s required by Airbnb to inform the guests. 

1.  In your house rules area ,  clearly stipulate that this home of yours can only occupy 8 ppl total. And that ALL booking requests must indicate the exact number of guests.  When I get an instant booking ,  I ask the person who booked the house to submit the names of all guests. It’s in OUR HOUSE RULES.  So they are required to do so .  And Airbnb supports me every single time .  My opinion is that if a guest doesn’t want to submit the names ,  then maybe they are hiding something else . And that IB will be cancelled by Airbnb ASAP! 

2. Then add that your price is for 1-8 people. 

Your price is set on your calendar. Make that clear.   Sometimes I will send a special offer to someone who wants to arrive within 24 hours if they ask for a special rate to get their booking . SOMETIMES :))

3.  Then stipulate in your House Rules that if you discover that there are more than eight people staying there via this security footage, the booking will immediately be cancelled, Airbnb will be contacted, and no refund issued.  Also add  that Airbnb will support you 100% ! 

4.  You must also state whether or not you will allow visitors , but no additional overnight visitors will be tolerated or you will charge $____ for each extra overnight visitor. 

5. Airbnb has now added an extra selection on the resolution center for host to charge for extra guest  if it is discovered that more are staying then what was recorded in their booking. 

We are all tired of travelers sneaking people in . I’ve written my rules to make sure that they know I will not tolerate this as the cohost and neither will the homeowner who hired me. Every host has been very pleased on how I have handled each large booking. 

You just have to set the boundaries in your listing .  FYI - Even hotels don’t allow more then 4 ppl in a standard room. AND... they have security cameras everywhere too. 😉

Let me know if this has been helpful for you. 

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Great way to contact Airbnb or via Twitter at AirbnbHelp / Facebook

Thank you and I finally had a chance to make those cahnges.

No meu caso, as pessoas dizem que não sabiam que o valor do anuncio era por pessoa (sendo que já coloquei um aviso na descrição de tantos casos que tive). Eles simplesmente reservam para 1 hospede achando que o valor é para o quarto e não por pessoa (mesmo se o valor fosse pelo quarto eu precisaria saber quantas pessoas são para deixar arrumadas as camas). Dai mando mensagem dizendo que o valor é por pessoa e acabam cancelando a reserva. Muitas vezes menos de 5 dias do check-in. Como minha politica é moderada, poderia não reembolsar o valor total, mas as pessoas ficam bravas, como se fosse minha culpa. Mas quem não alterou a quantidade de hospedes e não leu o anuncio? Mas acabo fazendo o reembolso para não me prejudicar... O Airb poderia colocar um aviso, antes dos hospedes confirmarem a reserva tipo - "Tem certeza que são X hospedes?" ou "Lembrou de colocar a quantidade de hospedes correta?" ou "Valor do anuncio por pessoa, altere a quantidade de hospedes" (nesse caso para os que cobram a mais por pessoa). Ajudaria muito, pois está sendo um desgaste muito grande.

Sangeeta-and-Brian0
Level 2
Fort McMurray, Canada

I know it was a post from 2016, but do we have an option to activate a field in the booking form for entering the total nuber of guests staying in the property! so that it can trigger the applicable extra person charges!

This is a big issue for too.  I also have issues with people booking say a weekend and one night they want to have friends over and add 2 guests foir one night.  I have no way to properly charge for those 2 guests.  We would have to add for taxes and surcharge.