Number of guests on the reservation vs number of guests they really are!

Number of guests on the reservation vs number of guests they really are!

I've been having this problem on a few reservation requests.

The traveller requests pricing & availability for, let's say, 6 adults, but they are really 6 adults and 4 young children.

First, my house can only accept 8 persons (number of beds & sanitary installations). Second, we charge an extra fees for the 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th traveller in the house. This causes the rate to be much lower on the traveller's request (to their advantage, of course) and if they don't mention the kids in their message, we would never know. The house cannot take more than 8 people, end of it. What happens in this case?

Can I or do I have to refuse them access to the house when they get there?

Can I ask them to modify their reservation to get the correct pricing (if they mention it in message with their reservation request)? 

Can I charge extra once I know they are more people than in the original reservation? 

Than you! 

16 Replies 16
Sheryl3
Level 2
Portugal

I get really frustrated with this as well. Someone books for 2 just for a small bedroom then I find they have a 2 yr old later in the message which is not fair to adults in the other rooms. I am at the point that I am going g to add to my advertisement that if the number of people checking in does not match the number on the original booking request they will be charged an extra 50 each day or something. I am now seeing them make request for 2, bit then sends a message they are 3. If you don't catch the message it looks like you were informed. I don't know why people would want to start a relationship off by tricking u.

I understand that in hotels, kids stay for free under 12 years old, most of the time. But the hotel still needs to count the kid in. Since I charge extra $25 per person after 4 guests, I can understand, but I still need to know... Anyways, when I see in the message that they have kids that were not counted in, I send a special offer with the right price and right number of guests, but most of the time, the travellers refuse the booking. 

I wonder what I would do if they were to show up more people than they booked... I would surely report it. 

ZenHomes0
Level 10
Singapore

@Etienne9 perhaps it would help if you ask how many adults + children + infants each time a guest inquiries.

Amaris0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi,

You would be within your full rights to cancel if you find out prior to their arrival or turn them away on arrival then report to airbnb in order that you are not penalised. If max number of people allowed is clearly listed and you clearly have a listed fee option for additional guest up to your maximum, then the guest (s)have clearly lgnored the terms of your listing.

Whilst it might be the practice of hotels to let children under 12 years of age stay free, this is airbnb not a hotel as such different rules/ terms/ conditions apply which are non transfereble. Airbnb is also normally cheaper than a hotel which is why a lot of people use it in the first place and to try to outsmart the host to pay even less by not declaring the true number of guest would ring alarm bells to me about the integrity of these guest. 

In addition, when you listed the property, you would have taken in to account the safety aspect when you determining the maximum number of guest at any given time. The guest have clearly not taken this in to account and by allowing them access to the property, you open yourself to any number of problems should there be any safety issues.

It is a fine balance, you want to be a good and flexible host but you must consider the full picture and make an informed decision based on each case and potential impact on you, the guest and the property.

Wish you all the best.

Ama

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Etienne9

I fully agree with @Amaris0 that it gives you the right to cancel, however instead of just doing that thru  the cancel option and getting slammed with the host penalties, it's always best advised to contact and inform Airbnb directly about the problem to avoid any cancellation repercussions from your side.

Amaris0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Yes I agree, you definately must always contact airbnb under such circumstances which is why I mentioned to contact airbnb and inform them so as not to be penalised.

Susan-and-Eric0
Level 3
Cape Town, South Africa

I agree with Amaris.  I've turned two groups away in the past because of this issue.  Airbnb sided with me both times.

Airbnb needs a children button and then give us the option to charge or not for them!

Amaris0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Actually that's a good idea, the option is left to the indvidual host to decide if to charge - I favour this idea.

Ama

Kris12
Level 6
Pattaya, Thailand

This happens a lot, unfortunately. They don't count their kids as "guests".

It's very specific in my listing that 2+ years, is a guest and they have to pay for every single guest. I have had groups of up to 10 people trying to book my two bedroom apartment with one bathroom, and I just refuse them, there will only be complaints from them.

If someone makes an instant booking and they later on tell me that there will be more people than the listing allows, I will change the booking and charge them for the extra guests, and if it's more people than I allow, I tell them that I will refuse them access to the apartment. Of course the amount of people the have booked for, are allowed, but the rest have to book another place to stay.

I simply refuse paying for guests being too lazy to read the rules of the apartment. And I don't want "cheap" guests, who try to sneak in extra guests.

Tim42
Level 3
SF, CA

I place in the "House Rules" a blurb that I cannot accept more than 6 people as per fire and insurance regulations.

After placing the fire + insurance regulations in my house rules; it is very rare that a guest will attempt to bring in more people.

I don't charge for extra guests anymore during the peak season. I do adjust the prices during the slow months though.

Desiree5
Level 2
Winchester, United Kingdom

Airbnb could add the buttons to enter the number of

- adults

- children (including age)

- infants (including age)

- pets (and type cat dog etc)

then give a total off all staying.

Cynthia24
Level 2
Tyler, TX

We are getting a reservation for 1 person and 1 dog then the wife and a 6 month old puppy gets included in the mix. We get lots of reservations for one person and more than 1 shows up. Definitely a problem!