Numbers of guests

Chris1120
Level 2
Victoria, Australia

Numbers of guests

Hi all

As hosts, we are having an issue with room booking settings.

Situation: We have a single listing for a villa that can take anything from 1 - 6 guests. Typically it is booked by couples in the non holliday period.

The booking settings have the master bedroom (for 2 people). A mother and daughter have booked, but require separate rooms .... but the booking set up lets them choose 2 people. Is it possible to make bookings per room rather than per person? The way the villa is laid out, the 2nd bedroom (that the daughter will use) requires use of a separate toilet and bathroom .... hence much more set-up and cleaning required, so not feasible to offer for the 'couples' rate. 

Thanks

Chris and Annie

13 Replies 13
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Chris1120 This is a common dilemma,  one that I have myself. IF your intent is to do indeed rent the villa to only ~one~ 'party', the perhaps best to list it as 'First two is 'X' amount, extra guests is 'X' extra per night. Yes, once in a while you will get just 2 people who use two separate beds/bathrooms, but isn't that the odd exception?

Imagine, how awkward it would be to say: "First two people is 'X' if you occupy the same bed, BUT if not then the cost for just 2 is 'Y'." Too cumbersome, too much 'management'. 

Thanks Fred - yes it is awkward.

I'm hoping Air BnB can create a booking fix for this. We have given these particular guests extra room without charge because it's not their fault. Perhgaps we have to changfe the wording on the booking.

Thanks again

Chris

Imtiaz2
Level 2
Maidenhead, United Kingdom

I often have this dilema and quite frankly its an easy fix on the AirBnB side, they just need to code up the guests/rooms split and that fixes things for hosts.

That said, typically I just let the guests have the rooms - the rental income and cleaning fees is more than enough to make up for what would otherwise be an empty space.

Thanks - I thought the same and wish they would do this.

Our dilemma is a bit different in that the 2nd and 3rd rooms are in an entirely separate part of the 3 story dwelling to the Master bedroom and require different keys, separate bathroom, separate cleaning regime etc. 

Thanks again

Noel63
Level 10
Coober Pedy, Australia

I think you should look at my 2 listings. They are exactly the same property, but one of the listings is entire place with only one bedroom. I've linked the listings so that if someone books 1 the other is blocked out.

Thanks Noel

I settled on Jess & Henry's advice to just send through special offer if the circumstance arises. This is a lot less work than managiung two listings as we frequently fine tune the listing ad only want to do that in one place.

Thanks

Chris

Thanks Imtiaz

It is frustrating as there does seem to be a simple code fix.

Chris

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Any chance one of those places can support two double beds,  side by side; when joined make a super king bed, when separated addresses the 2-separate-person occassions?

Hi Fred

I've put up another question relating to this.

But to respond to your suggestion, 2 people requesting separate rooms coiuld be allocated the ground floor only and grab a room each ... no problem.

But the Master bedroom is the real charm of the place with the Wow factor (sea views, romantic hideaway etc).

We have changed our explanatory notes and haven't lost any bookings, but the guests do keep rightfully asking ... 'why do I have to book for 3 people when there are only 2 of us"? It's a fair point.

Thanks again

Chris

@Chris1120

If you state that master bedroom accomodates up to 2 people and the rate is based on the assumption they share 1 room, I don't see why there would be any confusion. And you could add, if 2 people require separate rooms they need to book a second room. 

Except for the fact that guests never read.... the basic concept that pricing will be different for  "2 people 1 room vs. 2 people 2 rooms" should be easy enough. 

Instead of making them book for 3 people , why not just send them a special offer with the additional room charge added? (Which should also be included in the description.) The sum could be the same as a reservation for 3 people but for a reservation for 2. 

Chris1120
Level 2
Victoria, Australia

ah - good idea - I hadn't thought of that. Far simpler than adding a whole other listing too.

Thanks

@Chris1120

If you haven't made the changes already, something like this in your 'other things to note' and 'guest access' description could help to relieve any confusion. Hope this helps~

============================================================

1~2 guests = 1 room (master) & 1 bath (ensuite?)

3~4 guests = 2 rooms (master + A  or B) & 2 baths

5~6 guests = 3 rooms (master + A + B) & 2 baths

* Extra room charge of X amount per room must be paid for use of extra bedroom(s).

Depending on no. of guests, some rooms will not be accessable unless extra room charge is paid in advance.

============================================================

Also, if the reservation is not confirmed then you can send a special offer but if the guest has already paid and they have a confirmed booking, you will have to use the "request money" function for the extra room charge.

Thankyou Much appreciated Chris