OCCUPANCY TAXES subject to

Far0
Level 1
Santa Monica, CA

OCCUPANCY TAXES subject to

Occupancy taxes are included in gross earnings in airbnb statement, when reporting them on 1099 forms Misc manually because either you made less than $20,000 in transactions or had less than 200 reservations, should you include the 14% occupany tax on the gross amount including airbnb service fee and subtract it? 

Please dumb down your answers (any maths to demonstrate this would be very appreciated). Thanks 

A very confused airbnb host filing her taxes for the very first time 😞

5 Replies 5
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Far0 I use Turbo Tax to figure out my Airbnb taxes.  I report my gross total income from Airbnb which is what they state on my Earnings Summary. (Under Host, Transaction History, Earnings Summary.)  This gross amount is before the Airbnb 3% service fee.  I deduct Airbnb's service fee and the Occupancy Tax that I pay to my county.   

So if I earned $15,000 in gross earnings, I would list as a deduction on my return the $450 Airbnb service fee and the $1,500 Occupancy Tax which in my county is 10%.  

Also here's some helpful information from Ernst & Young regarding Airbnb income: 

http://assets.airbnb.com/eyguidance/us.pdf

Hope this helps!

thank you Clare, very much appreciated! 🙂

Thomas754
Level 1
San Luis Obispo, CA

If AirBnb is paying the transient occupancy taxes for me, are they including the taxes paid in my gross earnings statement, meaning I still need to deduct them from my taxable amount? They are not itemized out as are the service fees. 

Thomas754
Level 1
San Luis Obispo, CA

The amount of the earnings statement was less than $20,000 for the last note

Pete28
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Why on earth can't I access my 1099 online ?! I earnt more than $20k / 200 nights but received nothing from Airbnb. Based my tax return on what Airbnb shows earnings as on the dashboard.