OJ, bagels, fruit

Augusto2
Level 2
Rome, Italy

OJ, bagels, fruit

Hi, 

Airbnb emails me the usual "Reservation Reminder" asking to fill the fridge with a few breakfast goods (OJ, bagels, fruit), which makes somehow sense to me.

Now, what if coming Guest really expects to find OJ+Bagel+Fruit? I don't remember of offering all those those goods. Or maybe they are available to pay for those?

Best

31 Replies 31
Ed-and-Hugh0
Level 10
Miami, FL

We used to put those out for guests, but none ever ate them, so now we tell them to let us know if they would like light breakfast items.

Deborah0
Level 10
California, United States

@Augusto2

Clare, Raymond and Elaine, JEssa, Ed & Hugh, Helga and Deanna are all very experienced hosts who have been giving generously of their time to help new hosts for a year or more.  It's my hope that those new to these  AIrbnb groups will respect the contributions of such experienced hosts.  You recieved a response from Clare, which really gave you the entire answer, the same answer you would have from Airbnb customer service. Yet you then said you thought you needed to contact customer service.  IN fact in general with questions about hosting, as Jessa indicates, experienced hosts are likely to be  far more helpful to you than customer service staff.  

Just another comment about "satisfying guests' expectations"  -- it's vital that hosts realize that it is YOU as the host who are responsible in part to make sure your guests have realistic expectations. Taking the point of view that you have to provide whatever guests want and satisfy all their expectations, can lead to problems ---- burnout and great disappointment, when you discover what experienced hosts know -- that some guests will never be satisfied, no matter what you provide them.  Because some people are like that.   What if you provide OJ, bagels and fruit, and your guest expected (or demanded) a tasty homecooked ham and spinach and cheddar cheese omelette with diced potatoes, fresh baked scones and homemade jam, fresh squeezed orange juice -- and not only that but free lunch and dinner as well.  Oh and a ride to and from the airport, with you as chauffeur.  

By having a listing description, saying what you provide, and saying what you dont' provide,you help create appropriate guest expectations.  

And if you think AIrbnb customer service has the best answers, then call them and dont' ask questions here because this is a community of experienced hosts with years of collective experience hosting all kinds of guests.  

Augusto2
Level 2
Rome, Italy

Out off the stress I see around this, I feel the need to be more clear with my question posted at the top (sorry, no "edit" option available)

This question is NOT about if we should or should not give food to our beloved Guests. Off topic.

Airbnb  is a  "Reservation Reminder Email" is asking me to "...Fill the fridge with a few breakfast goods (OJ, bagels, fruit)...".

This is confusing to me, since I never offered those goods to my guest, and - as airbnb itself says - I need manage our guests expectations before they arrive.

Now, I really hope airbnb never said (or emailed) to my guest: "Ehi, Augusto is waiting for you with a tasty OJ for you"! Otherwise, Guest could be disappointed if there's no OJ here. Making any sense?

So - since that OJ suggestion seems to be confusing and giving no value to me - my sugggestion to airbnb is: "Please improve that sentence in your Reminder".  Happy to receive and ear  nice clarifications/thoughts about this, of course.

Thanks everybody who shared experiences here!

Always, be polite and have fun!

I've used Airbnb as a guest several times. I don't remember any airbnb emails indicating the host would be providing breakfast. I have only stayed in "entire home" airbnbs except once and that listing did not include breakfast. Hope that helps.

Thanks @Deb0,  

it does help.

Kind regards

@Augusto2, you got a lot of reactions, because you insulted Elaine, whom others in this forum know as a very helpful and nice person and your remark about M Raymond being French was totally out of order. Do you say such things to your French guests too?

We all tried to tell you with more or less humor (I liked @Jessa0's accurate preview on future guests very much) that it is not reasonable to clog up customer service with a question about breakfast items.

To resolve your confusion: the OJ remark has been in place for many years now, I don't read it any more, so I could not say if you get it every time or from time to time only.

In Rome, like in Paris, there is cheap interesting food to be had on every corner of the street, don't buy too much, most people won't eat it. They all want to try out what they can find themselves.

If you want to be in compliance with every rule and suggestion, buy a sixpack of small OJ packages, if they only drink one glass, you won't have to throw out everything. And buy a package of some dry breakfast bread, best those with singly packed portions inside and a can of breadspread. If someone gets hungry at midnight or at breakfast there is something in the house. And if nobody gets hungry, it keeps for months.

I still wonder: if you get a mail one day to kiss the floor or stand on your head and wiggle your toes for welcome, will you do that too?

Very aggressive, prolix, poor understaing of the problem, a few lies.  

I would expect a bit more  from a Level 10 as  @Helga0

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello Everyone,

I have been following this thread and it is good to see there are some helpful comments here, however on multiple occasions it has strayed quite a bit from the original topic to do with breakfast. 

At times there are some quite personal remarks directed at individuals in a number of different posts above. This attitude, either as the initiator or as a response to another comment will not be accepted in the Community Center. The purpose of this CC is to help each other and share stories, to respect each other and that includes the country they are from. 

Also, please be mindful that sometimes words can come across in a different manner to their original intention (particularly if this is not your native language). 

If you have any helpful comments regarding the original topic then please feel free to respond to this post.

More generally, I hope you all have a lovely festive period wherever you are. 🙂 

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Thanks for supporting.

Lovely festive period everybody!

@Augusto2, there was no need to insult everyone. But as it turned out, that is the only way you can communicate.

As inimaginable it may seem to you, I have one very great luxury in life: I never lie, I don't have to, I don't wish to, I do not take any pleasure in it. 

Besides, it's no pleasure talking to you either. May you harvest what you sow!

When I started hosting on Airbnb a couple of years ago I used to leave fruit, juice and milk for the guests but they were hardly ever touched them and therefore they went to waste.  I have stopped doing that now because I don't like waste.  I think that so long as you provide what is on your listing you are fulfilling your obligations.  Most guests just want to have a good time, in nice, clean, comfortable accommodation so that's what I provide now. You learn by experience. 

I have had to get "legal" with my listing and am now following all the requirements for inspection, lodging tax etc. The first time my listing was inspected by a government official I warned that I cannot even have salt and pepper available for guests! No coffee, cream or any basics at all...! Airbnb has to be very careful what they suggest we do for our guests. I would need a special b&b license in order to be able to offer food, and that food has to be taxed under "special services". I am also not covered for liability if a guest is poisoned by any of the food that is in the house (left by a previous guest, for example). So now I have to throw out all food that has been left behind with the good intentions of previous guests - who are warned that I cannot have food left in the house when they leave. I have had to throw out whole cans of coffee, cream, cheeses, oils, spices.....etc.

Sometimes I wonder if airbnb really thinks things through before making suggestions.

Law requirements in Rome is pretty close. Only single packing food allowed. You can image what a great waste of food it is.

Had same experience about waste of helthy food. Thanks for sharing.

Ernie0
Level 10
San Francisco, CA

Hi Augusto, 

Airbnb is merely suggesting these items as potential offerings. It is entirely up to a host to decide for himself/herself what it is he or she will provide to his or her guests. I suggest that once you decide what it is you will and will not offer, to make clear in your listing what exactly a guest can expect such that he or she can effectively decide if you and your listing might be a proper fit. 

We provide no food or beverages to our guests. All of our guests are responsible for providing his or her own food/beverages. 

Cheers, 
Ernie Thayer