Oakland Business Tax Declaration Form

Oakland Business Tax Declaration Form

Hey there!  I know that AirBnB pays our temporary occupancy 14% tax on our behalf to the city, but I'm confused why on top of that I'm being told I need to give a portion of my money to them.  Tax Rate: $13.95 per $1.00 of earnings.  Seems kinda effed up.  Have any other Oakland hosts dealt with this?  Does anyone know if the IRS or state is sharing information with the city of oakland on my rental income?

Thanks 

Becky

28 Replies 28

Yes. Everyone needs to register and pay the business tax. 

Sue97
Level 2
Oakland, CA

The way AIRBNB handles taxes is total BS. I need a receipt from Airbnb showing what was paid to Oakland. I have received another bill. Last year I PAID AND Airbnb PAID. What a mess. Airbnb -- ARE YOU LISTENING??? How do I get a receipt stating that you paid my occupancy taxes to the City of Oakland on my behalf???

Right I just got a bill saying quarter one was not paid by airbnb....

I also received something saying Q1 wasn’t paid and I filed 2017 Q1 and Q3 incorrectly but didn’t file Q2 and 4?? City of Oakland did cash my checks (I also rent with VRBO). WTF Oakland!

It's a manual process and it is not always accurate. It's pretty messed up. I recommend going to the Plaza and getting help if needed. They will put credit on the account if needed.

Karissa9
Level 2
Oakland, CA

I just spent a lot of time figuring this out and hope someone else in Oakland can use this information. The city of Oakland has two separate taxes. One is collected and paid by Airbnb at a rate or 14%. This is the transient occupancy tax. Additionally, if you file for a business license, upon renewal you'll be charged $13.95 for every $1000 earned. This is your business tax. You file for the business tax using the New Rental Application. You'll also need to fill out the New Rent Program Service Fee Application. Both files and links to FAQ can be found here: http://www.oaklandnet.com/government/fwawebsite/revenue/revenue_biztax.htm

You'll pay $91 to file the rental application and then you have to renew every year by March 1. When you renew you'll be charged for the tax of $13.94 per $1000 earned. The fees for the New Rent Program Service Fee Application depends on a number of exemptions that are explained on the form. If you have further questions you can call the City of Oakland Revenue Management Bureau at 510-238-3704. 

Karissa,

Your post is very helpful! I have a follow-up question for you or anyone who knows the answer. It appears to me that rentals of less than 7 days are prohibited in my zone in oakland. What do othey Oakland hosts do? It seems obvious that this rule is being routinely violated by AirBNB hosts. If you apply for and receive the permit and pay the taxes but are also routinely breaking the not-less-than-7-day rule, what happens? Or have I misunderstood the Oakland rules?

I'm not familiar with the less-than-7-day rule. I'm near Fruitvale BART station, which for building permits allows higher density living, so maybe I haven't heard of it due to that? When I spoke with the office that gives business licenses they didn't ask anything about length of stays or specifics of the business. The application doesn't include it either.  I'd be interested to hear more about the short stay rule though. 

They changed the rules to no stay less than 30 days.

Karissa, thank you SO MUCH for your awesome post -- so helpful!

One form you don't mention is the "TOT Registration" -- is that something we have to fill out and submit as well? Or no, because we are not technically renting a "hotel". 

Thanks!

I do think the TOT registration applies 

Terese19
Level 2
Albany, CA

I hope someone can answer this for me. I was trying to get the paperwork for TOT and New Rent Program Service Fee Application. That sent me to the zoning office who told me that the minimum required stay is 30 days! Is this a new thing? How did you deal with this in the past? Can anyone help with this? 

The Oakland City Council changed the rules arbitrarily making it mandatory that all airBnB stays be 30 days or greater and that all occupants be covered under rent control. As far as I know this is not being enforced - yet. I believe they will enforce it at some point, when is anyone's guess. 

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

If Oakland's Declaration form is anything like Los Angeles, then they're just looking to collect taxes on any rentals that took place OUTSIDE of platforms (like Airbnb) that already report. Just put down zero days rented.