Oakland Business Tax Declaration Form

Oakland Business Tax Declaration Form

Hey there!  I know that AirBnB pays our temporary occupancy 14% tax on our behalf to the city, but I'm confused why on top of that I'm being told I need to give a portion of my money to them.  Tax Rate: $13.95 per $1.00 of earnings.  Seems kinda effed up.  Have any other Oakland hosts dealt with this?  Does anyone know if the IRS or state is sharing information with the city of oakland on my rental income?

Thanks 

Becky

28 Replies 28

Hi did you ever get an answer for your questions?  I'd be interested to know being a new member.

Devang0
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Hey Becky and Justin -

I wanted to know a bit more about whether I need oakland city permits or liablity insurance to host in oakland. Would be great to hear your experience how to get started.

Thanks

You need an Oakland Business license for running a lodging business. You should always have homewowner liability insurance. If someone trips and falls and sues, you could potentially loose your entire house!

Sue97
Level 2
Oakland, CA

Hi - I am in Oakland too and trying to figure this out. I just received notification from the City of Oakland stating that I need to pay $13.95 per $1,000. dollars made. But, I Airbnb is taking out City taxes on my behalf. I cannot find any information on the Airbnb site about the total City taxes paid that I can print out and attach to the notification that I received. Very odd... if anyone figures this out, please post!

Sue

This information is found in your Transaction History under "Gross Earnings."

Hi - thanks for the reply! I see my gross earnings, but it does not show any taxes taken out, even though Airbnb states that they  automatically collect occupancy tax from guests and sends it to the tax authority on hosts’ behalf.  ("Occupancy taxes: Your listing is in OAKLAND where Airbnb collects and remits occupancy taxes on your behalf. Learn more:)

I am trying to avoid paying double taxes! I will call the city tomorrow when they open!

Hi, I'm about to host my first listing in my place next month.  I thought Air BNB fees covered taxes?  Any updated information from the group?  I definitely want to be in compliance - I haven't made $1000 yet as I can only rent out my place when I'm away, so I'm a part-time host.

Thank you; there is a lot there - I'll sift through it!  I appreciate your quick reply!

Best,

Chris

Did anyone figure this out yet? Do we need to register to pay business tax in oakland if Airbnb is already taking taxes out?

im interested and following also...

Yes go to Frank ogawa plaza office for best service 

@Angie95 wrote:

Did anyone figure this out yet? Do we need to register to pay business tax in oakland if Airbnb is already taking taxes out?

Hi!

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANYTHING CONCLUSIVE RE: BUSINESS TAX, ZONING INQUIRIES, OR WHAT AIRBNB DOES WITH THE TAXES IT CONTRIBUTES?

THANKS,

ALLAN, NEWBIE

Yes all of oakland is technically zoned for stays of 7 days or greater.  All air and b hosts need to Frank ogawa plaza business tax office and apply for a business liscence and tax I'd. At the office they will provide you with the quarterly forms for the transient occupancy tax.