Occupancy Tax

Marta397
Level 2
Orlando, FL

Occupancy Tax

Orlanfo Florida USA, I observe that the guests are charged Occupy Tax, but those taxes are not given to me as host ?. How can I be sure that those taxes are being paid effectively to the government? if AIRBNB does not have my number for tax information?

2 Replies 2

@Marta397 - The occupancy is based on the reservation and sale of that reservation, which Airbnb has.  The state is not interested in who pays the Tourist Tax, as long as someone is paying.  Airbnb links it up to the reservations that are on their books.  

If you are taking bookings elsewhere, on Craigs List for example, where they do not pay the occupancy tax for you, you will be required to pay that to the government for those reservations.  

Kay220
Level 2
Santa Fe, NM

you can't be sure they are being paid. I called and was told they pay for us and I said how do I know and they said to just trust them. 

My problem is I am a 30 day or MORE rental due to our HOA not allowing short term rentals. That is fine with me until this occupancy tax was added anyway. Santa Fe, where my house is, does not require occurrence tax or lodgers tax added to over 30 days not am I required to have a short term license as all under 30 days have. It is definitely hurting business . so frustrated as Airbnb just told me 3 weeks ago I would be exempt as long as I had bookings 30 days or more. Not true at all. frustrated

kay