Occupancy Tax

Occupancy Tax

So for many months i have wondered about the occupancy tax and how airbnb handles this.  When i created my add, i reached out to them to understand if they allowed us as hosts an option to enter seperate fees as well as indicate a tax rate on services that are taxable, like vrbo does, so that it would be visible to the guests.  They informed me that i would need to add the tax to the nightly rate and handle it that way.  I did that however, we are supposed to charge tax on the cleaning fee which is a one time fee, so that as well does not true up. Anyways up until now i have been mananging.   

Now i see that when a guest wants to book my place, they are presented with an occupancy tax. I contacted airbnb and like every other encounter i have with them, the service rep has not idea what is going on, what drives it or how it is calculated.   Bottom line the value they are showing is incorrect.

1. Has anyone else seen this reent change?

2. Were you informed?

3. Do you know how it works?

4. Is it simply a systems glitch from their latest system release?

5. Are guests actually being charged this amount?

6. How are they paying it on our behalf if they dont have our tax number and information?

There are so many issues with this and I can go on and on, just wondering if someone has the short answer.  Why can't they simply allow us to enter fees to charge and indicate if taxable and what the rate is.  Seems so elementary. 

Thanks

0 Replies 0