Occupancy Taxes in Sacramento

Anna277
Level 2
Sacramento, CA

Occupancy Taxes in Sacramento

Hello!

I've been a host for over 3 years and I was very excited when Airbnb started to collected Transient Occupancy Tax (TOT) in Sacramento and remitting them on my behalf - less paperwork, less headache! Thanks for making it easier!

However, according to Sacramento policy, TOT only  applies to stays under 30 days, and Sacramento limits short term stays to 90 days a year, if the listing is not your primary residence.

To stay compliant with the local laws, I only allow future reservationf for long term stays, of 30 days or more, and spend my 90 days per year between long term stays to limit my vacancy time.

I recently noticed that airbnb still collects TOT from people who stay 30 days or more. TOT should not be collected for these stays.

Does anymore know how to stop these tax from being collected? My guests are overpaying 12% for their stays. Moreover, if Airbnb reports all these days as short term rental days, I am in violation of city code as I am way past 90 days allowed per year.

Please help?

Anna

12 Replies 12
David3039
Level 2
Sacramento, CA

Have you tried calling AirBnB about the issue?  They are usually pretty helpful.

What’s their phone number?

Julian-and-Tina0
Level 2
Sacramento, CA

Di you ever get this resolved?

Connie188
Level 2
Rancho Cordova, CA

Hi, I just started Airbnb in late September in Rancho Cordova, CA a city of Sacramento. Do I need to file for a business license and that Rental application that costs $125 the first year and $90 thereafter? I have been charging the last few guests  the 12% tax.  The first few didn't pay the tax.  What do I need to do?  

Also, what do you about guests who leave lights on all the time. I asked my guests to turn off all lights when leaving and if they leave a room to turn it off.  I let them do a load of laundry and this recent guest has done 4 loads of laundry since last Thursday. He did not even ask me.  If my utility bills skyrocket so high I don't know if this is worth it to me. How much do you charge for laundry.  I live in a condo and my master bedroom/bathroom is at the end of the hall. I rent 2 rooms that share a bathroom. I am looking for feedback since I am a novice at this.

Connie

Hi Connie,
Please let me know if you got any help. I have the same questions.. I have a listing in Sacramento very similar to yours.

Hi Connie, 

Please let me know if you got any help. How do you deal with paying transient taxes in Rancho Cordova to the city?

Thanks

Diane584
Level 2
Yuba City, CA

Actually, the tax on stays over 30 days is higher. If you want to have guests more than 90 days per year, you have to get a Conditional Use Permit. I’m dealing with the CUP now. My understanding is that it costs over $3000. !!!  With no guarantee you’ll get the permit. I’m beside myself about this. I’ve been wondering if other Sacramento hosts have gone through the Permit process & how they fared.

Hey Diane! I'm wondering what happened with the CUP. Did you end up applying for it? I'm trying to figure out if I need to do that as well.

Mary1438
Level 1
Sacramento, CA

Hi Sacramento AirBnb hosts!   I am unclear about required permits; can you help me?  I know I need to get a short term rental permit to rent a room in my house.  Here are my questions:

1. Do I need to get a business license (@ $54) as well?

2.  Does Airbnb collect the transient occup taxes (@12%) or do I have to build it into my pricing?  And furthermore, do I have to submit taxes to city on monthly basis?

3.  Please clarify rules for maximum stays.... can I rent out room for more than 90 days per year?

Thank you all!

Mary

Hi Mary,

Please let me know if you got any help. I have the same questions.. I have a listing in Sacramento very similar to the first question above.

I live in a condo and my master bedroom/bathroom is at the end of the hall. I rent 2 rooms that share a bathroom. I am also looking for feedback since I me too a novice.

Hi Mary,  Were you able to get answers to your questions?

Jackie445
Level 2
Sacramento, CA

Has anyone been able to figure out if the amount that AB&B is collecting is correct?