Occupancy tax for stays over 30 days

Occupancy tax for stays over 30 days

Hey all! I am looking onto renting our listing out to a couple on a month to month basis. If I have them pay for 31 days at a time will they still be charged occupany tax? I'm in Portland OR and the tax is charged automatically and remitted to the state and city by airbnb. Thanks!

12 Replies 12
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Spencer-And-Erika0  You might find it helpful to read the articles in the Help Center about long term (29 days or more) booking.  Both the payout and the cancellation policies are different and you do not determine a 31 day month to month payment.

As to your question about occupancy tax, usually that tax is for short term stays, under 30 days in most places.  When you rent your space for over 30 days, you become a landlord and the guest becomes a tenant with all the rights and protections of a tenant.  You might want to be informed about that as well.  There are several discussion threads on this site about the pros and cons of long term bookings.  Hope this helps!

Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Spencer-And-Erika0. Most Occupancy Taxes are charged for stays less than 30 nights but you can check this here: 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/653/in-what-areas-is-occupancy-tax-collection-and-remittance-by-...

This link is helpful only if you as a host have been automatically passing along this cost of occupancy taxes to your guests.

Beverly35
Level 1
Denver, CO

I pay my occupancy taxes separately.  That is, I do not charge my guests that tax.  So . . . if I have a guest who stays over 30-days, then is Airbnb going to charge me the 10.75% STL occupancy tax that Denver charges?  OR is Airbnb smart enough to exclude these payments from taxation?

Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Beverly35. Airbnb will not charge Occupancy taxes for stays greater than 29 nights per their help article:

"Denver

Guests who book Airbnb listings that are located in the City and County of Denver, CO, will pay the following tax as part of their reservation:

• Denver Lodger’s Tax: 10.75% of the listing price including any cleaning fee for the first 29 nights of any reservation. For detailed information, visit the Denver Treasury Division website."

This excerpt is from this link: 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/653/in-what-areas-is-occupancy-tax-collection-and-remittance-by-...

Hope this answers your question!

Thanks Clare.

" 10.75% of the listing price including any cleaning fee for the first 29 nights of any reservation."

This sounds totally wrong, and I didn't actually see this quote in the supporting link.

Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Kevin122 You can also go to your calendar and select a range of dates to see what guests pay.  Here's a sample screen shot: 

What do guests pay_.jpeg

Click on the "What do guests pay" link to see exactly what Occupancy taxes are being charged.  It is a nifty tool. 

What if the guest originally books for 30 days and no occupancy tax is billed; and then the guest wants to shorten their stay after checking in...if you make the reservation change from 30 days to say 12 days will an occupancy tax be charged? Will it be “a short term rental” vs a long term rental? 

Kevin122
Level 2
Denver, CO

We had this happen in 2018, and  no tax was charged.

Kerrie1
Level 2
New Orleans, LA

Why are occupancy taxes collected for over 30 day stays? This is not what the law states, but Airbnb is still collecting. Where is that $ going if it’s only for LESS than 30 day stays, but temporary renters are staying for 2 months?

Brooke332
Level 1
Sonoma, CA

All of the pricing I am seeing for 30+ day stays on Airbnb in Portland are still adding on huge occupancy taxes after you hit 'reserve' despite owners not getting charged occupancy taxes in stays of over 30 days. Why are these taxes being automatically added/collected if they aren't actually due?

Karol22
Level 10
SF, CA

I host many longer term stays and I've found Airbnb does a good job automatically including (or not including) occupancy taxes for stays based on the number of nights. If the duration of your reservation goes over the threshold of nights considered to be taxed, then Airbnb will calculate as such, quite precisely.