Occupancy tax

Rikki0
Level 1
Santa Cruz, California, United States

Occupancy tax

Hi-

Can anyone provide insights on occupancy tax.  Does my local city have access to the number of days per month and the history of my rental for my property?  They are asking for back taxes for the past 3 years, and I am unclear on how to calculate and what information the city has access to.

Any help appreciated.  Regards

6 Replies 6
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

Hi Ricki, you can go to your account on your dashboard and see how much you have been paid.  Hopefully your account will show payments made by Airbnb for the last 3 years.  Failing that, perhaps you could contact Airbnb for help.  Bummer that you have to pay back taxes! I fear that many hosts may have to pony up the taxes that are in arrears.  I doubt that your locality has any access to your listing stays, but they probably will ask you to provide in writing the amounts you have collected.  I pay the transient occupany tax monthly on the gross amount, before Airbnb takes their service fees.  Good luck!

Rex0
Level 2
Santa Cruz, CA

Hi Rikki, my friends here in Santa Cruz were audited by the city. I'll have to ask her how they determined the amount of days that guests stayed but they had to pay all of the back taxes. I'm registered with the city and send them their 11% each month. We have to make our guests give it to us separately, as there is no line or option for adding it to the amount at check out.

El

I just include it in my daily price so I don't have to bother with an additional charge. 

Isa2
Level 2
Le Grau-du-Roi, France

I don't know about your city tax.... but mine is upon the number of adults getting in.... for sure I always can ask the maximum.... but... I don't know for you, but my guests are always asking for prices! 🙂

Hey.. we are new airbnb in Santa Cruz... We have just started our listing and ran into a realtor friend who scared the crap out of me... our unit isn't legal although we have rented it long term for a very long time. We are going to register with the county and pay the 11% tax but wondering what happens if they decide to come after us for having an illegal unit in a legal building.. It's on our property and zoned commercial...

Hmmm.. Thoughts from other Santa Cruzians.

@Whit0 Here in Mendocino County I registered with the Planning Department to get my permit so they would definitely notice if the unit was illegal.

I look forward to the day when Airbnb wakes up and provides legal hosts with an easy way to collect and remit local lodging taxes. It's unacceptable that a global lodging company chooses to ignore this issue. I encourage all responsible hosts who collect taxes to contact Airbnb and demand a line item in the payment process so we can easily comply with our local laws.