Odd request from guest *after* their stay - outside of AirBnB messaging.

Jann3
Level 10
Santa Rosa, CA

Odd request from guest *after* their stay - outside of AirBnB messaging.

I just had my second guest. There was nothing odd about him when I looked at his profile and indeed he had been positively rated by 4 hosts - 1 in the last year, and 10 guests - 3 years ago - so I accepted.
Then the requests began. (my check-in is 3pm-5pm~ish - but can be later) He asked for 1pm or 2pm check-in -as he and his guest were coming up to do wine tasting in Napa Valley. I let him know that I had a current guest and would have to see how long cleaning would take - I'd let him know that day. He accepted that.
I finished cleaning on his arrival day and offered a 1pm check-in to him. He didn't know if he could make it by then cos he didn't know when his guest would be ready to leave for Santa Rosa. (huh? - when he ASKED for early check-in?)
Well, all this would be nothing but they got here, and one of the first questions was "Can we check-out late? Sometime in the afternoon?" I told him that late check-out might be available but since I had an incoming guest after them it wouldn't be that late...and there would be a fee associated with that request - as stated in the listing.
I never heard another thing from them during their stay till check-out at the next morning at 10am. They AirBnB messaged me "We're leaving if you want to say goodbye" whereupon I was greeted by his guest smoking in my driveway (my no-smoking rule!) was told they spilled red wine and broke a glass. Also that they used a new white bathroom towel to wipe it up (my "let me know and I will clean it rule"). I said "no problem...that's what Oxi-Clean is for."
Then he said "You know, I was a host. Your check-out time - and it may be different here in the US (he LIVES 60 miles away from me in CA!) - but your 10AM check-out time is far far too early. People come to wine country to spend the day and if they don't have a place to come back to during their stay, then it is inconvenient." (My response - and I DID NOT SAY THIS - but my response to this is: pay for late check-out *or* book two days!)
Then I was asked not to leave THEM a review because "I don't need reviews anymore. I have enough of them." (he SAID this)
They left. I went up to check damage. Turns out they had left scuff marks (from shoes?) all over the bottom portion of the quilt and spilled the red wine on my sheets AND on the couch. Thank HEAVENS I had 3M Stain-Guarded the couch! And, yes Oxi-Clean, salt and a cold water wash immediately fixed the sheets, quilt and the white towel they used to clean up the mess. So, all was well. I cleaned the studio and left - happy they were gone.
Later (about 8pm) I got a phone call - an obvious outside-of-AirBnB Messaging communication. He told me "How did you find the way we left the Studio?" I told him it was fine - cos, really, it was! I took care of the things that they had messed up and was really not mad about it. I *was* frustrated that so many of my pet peeves were done but really -by that time - I was fine. Then he said "Please do me a favor. I know you're gonna leave a review for me (I was) but please leave my guest's name out of it. It could be hard for her if anyone saw it. It would be uncomfortable."
HUH?
A: How do I review them? They were pushy about check-in, check-out and broke several of my house rules.
B: Should I leave the review at ALL?
C: I was told that if I leave "thumbs down (would you recommend this guest)" the guest cannot see it, is this true?
😧 If I "thumbs down" them, are they able to book my property again?
E: I want to block his # from calling me personally again. It is easy (google voice on my end). Is this just knee-jerk on my end?

I know this could be an overreaction on my part... but since my FIRST guest was great...and my second guest was "iffy" I am not sure how to hande the review for the second one. Advice?

18 Replies 18
Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Yes please review them and yes they cannot see your number rating.

Keep it light, keep it factual. Do not come off as crazed.

"I hope the guests will be gentler to the next host"

"I wish guests would have taken better care with their red wine"

"Guests were very unhappy with my rules"

The number one idea is to use the review as a marketing tool.

If he should publicly state your checkout is too early, you could advise future guests 

"I do have an early checkout so that I can prepare for the next guest well".

This way you advise future guests that you expect guests to leave as agreed while assureing future guests they will arrive to a clean room.

PS. Asking for an early checkin but arriving late is a VERY common annoyance.  Grrr....

Unless they refer to themselves as husband and wife or mention the other person by name in their profile bio, we usually refer to the non-booking person as 'guest,' such as "John and his guest were very respectful of our home."
Elise

Please review them. Other hosts need to know this guy cannot follow rules and left your place a mess. 

I would have been super irritated if he said "We're leaving if you want to say goodbye" after he had been so rude. What does that even mean. Sounds like you handled it like a true professional. 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

"Please do me a favor. I know you're gonna leave a review for me (I was) but please leave my guest's name out of it. It could be hard for her if anyone saw it. It would be uncomfortable."

I would leave a review of HIM only (assuming he is who booked the place) and make no mention of anyone else, because it is not necessary.

I understand...and I won't put her through that. (I don't think I would've ever mentioned her - or thought to - until he asked me about it)

It just seemed strange...calling me to ask me not to.

I have said (in my previous review) "XYZ and their guest"

@Jann3 ah well, maybe he is married and had an affair.. 

😉

UGH! You mean people had SEX in my Studio? 😉

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Jann3 yes, sure, leave the review "xxx is an experienced abb guest whose communication, cleanliness & observance of house rules make me think that they might actually prefer a hotel for future stays."

and if you mark them thumbs down and anything less than 3 stars then they will not be able to rebook with you (you could also go the extra mile and block their profile as well)

also, my checkout time is 10am --- my checkin time begins at 4pm. That is the timing that works for ME and i'm not a hotel and I have a life to attend to as well so that is what it is. If your listing is clear then guests get what they get and it's not your job to make your listing into something you never said it was. That guest was rude

Jann3
Level 10
Santa Rosa, CA

So this is my review... If it sounds too harsh, oh well. I kinda believe in "garbage-in, garbage-out". 

Now, I'm gonna let this bad experience go and have fun with my future guests.

"*ABC* is an experienced AirBnB guest whose communication, cleanliness & observance of House Rules make me think that they might actually prefer a hotel for future stays. I wish he would have taken better care with the red wine. Using white bathroom towels to clean up the spill was unfortunate as well - as was not telling me the spill flowed between the couch cushions. *ABC* may be happier at a property that has an earlier check-in and has a late afternoon check-out time. It might also be better if *ABC* didn't call the host and ask them not to review him."

As a host, I would very much appreciate reading this review of *ABC* and would be grateful for the transparency. That is NOT the type of guest I want to host in my home, and I'm sure others feel the same way. If hosts are not honest about their experience they rest of us won't know.
Elise

@Jann3

Such a rude guest!!!! "We're leaving if you want to say goodbye" "I don't need reviews anymore. I have enough of them." - WTF?!?!?!  Good riddance!!!

Jeanette37
Level 3
Traralgon, Australia

Hi Jann.  Wow, it never cease to amaze me what people will do for attention...My advice is, be honest about reviewing them!  Even if you had calmed down later that day you had every right to be cross at them for their apparent lack of care about your posessions and rules so everyone needs to know this.  With regard to him saying he doesn't need reviews is just sheer arrogance and this is something that just makes my blood boil.  He doesn't deserve to "do" Airbnb properties if he's "afraid" of what rating he might get and comments about his behaviour.  By the way, can I get some of that Oxi-Clean stuff????  Is it only available in the US or can I buy it online?  It sounds like every host needs some of it if it can get wine stains out of white towels, etc.  Happy hosting.  Not all your guests will be like that.

Farah1
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Wohoo! Welcome to the ABB journey  @Jann3 😉