Off season = bad guests

Answered!
Roberta150
Level 7
Flagstaff, AZ

Off season = bad guests

I'm a Superhost and have entered into my first off-season.

What I've learned is due to the lower prices because of so many available listings, the guests I've had so far are mostly (not all) horrible compared to high-season, high-paying guests. They seem to have the same mindset of those who want a discount, which is a major red flag for a bad host experience.

I've gone in and blocked off Mon-Wed in January through mid-March when good shoulder-season guests start booking. And I raised my low and high prices to discourage cheap guests from booking the available days. I'm taking a break, and plan on using the time to get long-awaited projects done. For hosts who need the income, I'm so sorry: It's much better to have another source of income during the off-season and enjoy the time off from hosting rather than deal with rotten, cheap guests who may cost you more than the booking fee to let them stay.

You may also make the mistake I made by politely but firmly reminding a guest of the house rules that they were violating - yep, they retaliated with completely unfair star rankings in every category when normally I get all five-stars. Luckily the comment was "Great host!" and I have enough five-stars that theirs was diluted and doesn't affect what shows during a search by future guests - it still shows me as five-stars in all categories.

However, newer hosts with few reviews would be negatively impacted by such reviews which I am convinced are much more likely during the off-season.

1 Best Answer
Mike170
Level 2
Vientiane, Laos

@Roberta150 Love your post.

First, we get, almost without exception, wonderful guests.  

Our high season is December through February/March, when we can get very congested.  We sort of tag along through the rest of the year - but we continue to have a very regular number of guests.  Our price is relatively high, but we offer a very comprehensive package of goodies for it - you could stay with us for a month and never put your hand in your pocket.  Our prices stay the same throughout the year.  We have discounts for a week or a month, but that is it.  

I continually get messages from ABB saying

- why don't we reduce our price? 

- we are  more expensive than other establishments 

- why don't we do instant book? 

- why don't we change some of our criteria (such as minimum two nights booking)?   

I just wish I could reply to them!  

They are not comparing like-with-like!

And we want to remain in control of who comes to stay with us in our home.  

We are not income maximisers:  we are satisficers.

Good luck.  

View Best Answer in original post

45 Replies 45

@Roberta150, thanks for sharing your low season experience!

I think we help each other a lot by sharing our thoughts and stories.

People are always free to do what they want, but if hosts never hear from each other, it is hard to make informed decisions.

Thanks for taking the time to tell your story to us.

Marie82
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

@Roberta150 you are 100% right on low season u get all the bad one i have refuse dropping my price to certain extend i prefer not to make cash/or loose money during that seasons that having my flats damaged with all the work being done and end up spending time and energy behind Airbnb help desk to get any penny.

Becasue ABB attitude toward hosts i prefer empty apartment without any hassle

Till ABB  take a hard stand on Bad guests who are spoling the game for the rest i refuse to drop my prices to certain extend to avoid them at all cost

i work hard to keep a five star. I get a self proclaimed super guest who wants a unit 3 days most weeks. "No problem with rate."

she fell and didn't get hurt but almost went through the wall with her buttocks.

she hammered me on everthing I work hard on.

she stayed two days. I hauled three empty vodka bottles away. Hmm.

oh, she also brought three <helper>dogs! She paid $200 for the Sheetrock repair, I bought the paint and painted it. One of her complaints were the ticks outside.i leave four brands of repellant at the door. The algorythm for ranking is wrong. The two parties are driven by a win lose basis. How about a check box system and a computer generated star system formulated from specific boxes. I will submit something.

Thank you for your experience.

I have sent a proposal to ABB suggesting that an online Check in sheet be added(as when a renter rents an apartment) that way. Guests would be required to Post condition of property listing prior to staying, and interacting with the hosts. I do not look to "sugar coat" my replies to guests that have given a bad review based on them being advised that they are not/did not follow the house rules. If the property checklist is not completed within 1-2 hours of arrival, they lose the opportunity to leave a review. Airbnb is Guest driven, and will always side with the guest. I will not be forced to keep my mouth shut  and let someone come in and trash my home, then turn around and leave a bad review because they were called out about not following the house rules

Edwin57
Level 10
New York, United States

Off season or not but you choose to accept guest, and guest are not cheap they are like you and me looking for the best price you know what I mean now if guest ask for a discount then is up to you to give it or not, so who is cheap mmm I know you work hard, but you are not the only one out there that work hard, I think you need a break. To make room for those that do not complain 

@Edwin57 you don't always choose the guest, though, if you are like most and have Instant Book turned on.

@Roberta150 I was seriously considering posting a similar post, but asking other hosts if they felt the same way.  I'm glad to hear someone does!  It seems that in the winter/early spring months, when my price is lower, that I have worse reviews.  Not necessarily worse guests, as I haven't had too many bad experiences, but definitely just people not appreciating the home as others have.  Hang in there!  I do wish I could block off more time, but like most hosts, do also need the money during the slow months.  My full-time job is also slower during the winter, so it's nice to have Airbnb for that reason.  But I feel your pain!

Albert. You always make me laugh. Your ability to say so much and yet convey so little is amazing. 

Monica4
Level 10
Ormstown, Canada

I have the same experience, and as a consequence I have rejected the past three requests for a reservation. I would rather see my listing empty for the slow season. I think the mindset of those off season guests is that we should be very fortunate to get their booking during a slow period. That is exactly the same mindset of those people asking for discounts. For me, the slow season is a period of rest and recuperation, and small renovation jobs. I list the house for the Christmas Holidays at one and a half times the normal rate. That makes up for declining guests later, in January and February. 

Roberta, I hope you left them equal one-star reviews, especially for rule-breaking. We have been getting terrible guests during on-season as well, due to Instant Book. We are burning out and going to turn off IB for on-season this year and see what happens. Smart Pricing keeps raising our rates, so it's not the money, just the entitled folks that are able to book our place without minding anything written in the listing and show up expecting things never offered and acting put out. Ugh. Will definitely be happy with less, but better guests. Glad we do not depend on the money either and sorry for those that do.

@@Todd and Reese I’m wondering if you’ve ever noticed a search placement penalty when you down rate a guest. No way to prove it but I think my views go down after I poorly rate a guest (even when their rating of me is good). Sneaking suspicion that abb penalizes those who don’t play the “everything is awesome” game. 

@Todd0& Reese @@Lizzie

@Kelly149, I had a streak of strange guests due to low rates and did downrate and not recommend a few, maybe as many in three months than before in two years. It did not affect bookings, I had a better November and December than ever, even if the listing was offline from end of November on. If the guest downrate you, it has an effect, especially if they click on the questionnaire link and say they would not recommend airbnb to friends after the experience. That one, you would not see in the stars.

I have turned off Instant booking and am not sorry

Johanna116
Level 4
Rathdrum, ID

I am in a summer resort area and my STR listing is a separate guest apartment on my hobby farm.  I am also a landlord for a regular long-term apartment rental in a nearby town.  Coming from a long term rental background, I am very attuned to screening  applicants for my apartments, and am very aware of the damage and costs bad tenants can cause.  I am also aware that people who need housing often misrepresent themselves, and wise landlords play detective to separate the good tenants from the bad.

The whole AirBnB platform (possibly the whole industry) glosses over these risks.  When I signed up for AirBnB (as a guest), all I had to do was provide a credit card number and a photo of my ID.  I did not need to agree to a credit, eviction, or criminal background check, or provide verification of my income or a hefty security deposit -- all standard in the long term rental market.  

As winter approached, I know there are people in my area who "camp out" all summer long, but look for housing in the winter.  My first booking this fall was from a local (per their profile) who claimed they were only in town to visit their kids, but the wife had to leave to go to work.  Huh?  Their story made no sense.  They stayed their 4 days, were fine guests, left a 5 star review.  They did however leave a handwritten note asking to rent my apartment for the rest of the winter.  

My STR only provides extra income, I do not depend on the income for my livelihood.  I am not interested in renting my guest apartment out during the off season -- too expensive to heat and I would probably get sued if a guest slipped on the ice.  My target market are happy vacationing families who want a farm experience for their kids, between time at the lake or our local theme park.  I have not lowered my price, I blocked out the winter months, only allow one week stays.

AirBnB could solve many of the guest problems by insituting a "preferred guest" program, similar to Superhost.  Preferred guests would have a more comprehensve background and credit check.  They would also have to have a certain number of 5 star reviews and not cancel trips at the last minute.  Hosts would know that their properties would be well cared for and hosts could lower prices and still make money. 

Hi,

I agree with the preferred guest program.