Offer Value Listings search filter instead of Value Ratings

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

Offer Value Listings search filter instead of Value Ratings

Just a suggestion. Airbnb could offer a search filter for Value Listings. These could be at or below Airbnb's reccomened pricing. While it may not be perfect for everyone, this could replace the Value sub rating in the reviews. 

This could also be applied to a Location search filter. Guest could also simply enter an attraction, or destination to find out the distance to the listing, Uber rates, walk score, public transportation options, etc. 

Airbnb could also offer a coupon if guest want to take a survey for feedback on such things as value, and the reviews would be focused more on the accuracy, cleanliness, check in, communication, of the completed listing and host. 

I realize its a challenge for anyone to adjust, and any progress isn't perfect, but Airbnb does at times make some modifications that help out.    

13 Replies 13
Donata12
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

I think the value rating tool needs addressing for sure. I was actually contemplating if I should explain what the value rating means in reviews. Most guests do not know how to use it. 
your ideA sounds interesting but, at the same

time, guests need to understand what value is regardless!

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

I have always found it really interesting that when comparing all the listings in my general area, which I do often :-), the least expensive listings have the lowest value ratings. 

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@John5097  What AirBnB needs to explain to the guest, is that if the property is accurately described and delivered as promised, then the guest agreed to the "value" when they booked. 

The only circumstance in which a guest should be marking down value is if the property wasn't as described. That's what guests don't understand. 

@Kia272  But if the property wasn't as described, that would fall under the accuracy rating. As would location. 

Both Value and Location are pointless categories as the guest chose the location and agreed to the price. If they weren't as described, that's an accuracy rating.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Sarah977 @Kia272 

Honestly, I really struggle to understand this thinking of if the price was agreed to, the value is there, which I see many host's mentioning here when they receive less than a 5 star in the value category.

I can go to the Dollar Store and buy anything for which I agree to the price of $1. But that doesn't mean that when I get home and use the product, it will have a good value. Most of the time I make the decision to never buy the $1 product again because it isn't worth the price. You could say, why am I buying 'cheep' products for $1 but I have found some real winners a the Dollar Store that I continue to buy; those items have great value.

Value cannot be precived until the product or service has been experienced. I don't see how a guest agreeing to the price, or simply being able to afford the price, means that the value should be 5 star.

@Emilia42  I'm saying that if the guest reads everything in the listing and agrees to pay, they've agreed to the value as represented. If it's misrepresented, then the terms change, and the guest can decide that the value isn't as promised, and rate accordingly. 

Being that this is an Internet platform, and the assumption is that we are agreeing to a deal based on what we see and read, then it's binding in that aspect. That's how I feel. 

In the age of the Internet, with AirBnB essentially acting as a broker, this is how deals are made. We don't get to experience the product in person when booking, but we are agreeing to the terms if the property is represented accurately. 

As @Sarah977 said, at that point it's also an accuracy issue, but accuracy affects value. 

@Emilia42  I didn't mean that just because a guest agrees to the price that they should consider value to be 5*s. They could find that the host uses worn sheets, that the dishware is chipped, there is little in the way of kitchen utensils, and old scratched up teflon pans. There's all sorts of things that could legitimately make the guest feel the place is seriously overpriced for its condition. 

But usually those places have photo galleries that are misrepresentative, and the reviews reflect it- guests saying things like the photos must have been taken years ago, as the place is quite rundown in comparison.

But if a guest chooses a place that is quite inexpensive relative to other offerings in the area, and is not presented in the listing as anything fancy, but quite basic, would it be fair for them to mark down the value because the bedding is worn and the dishes are chipped? 

Value just seems like such an incredibly subjective thing that it's pretty useless as a rating. For starters, guests have no idea how much the host's utility bills are, or any other expenses that go into running an Airbnb. If they are from another part of the world, they might assume the expenses are far less than they are. 

My electric bills average about the equivalent of $6US/month here in Mexico. If I brought that perception of the cost of electricity to the US or Europe, it could lead me to assume places are way overpriced. 

@Sarah977 i absolutely agree with you. well said.

Maybe, since value is perceived in many different ways depending on location and commodities pricing, it would be best if it were scrapped from the review system. This is something that we can voice as hosts.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sarah977 wrote:

Value just seems like such an incredibly subjective thing that it's pretty useless as a rating.

This has definitely been my experience, e.g. the guest who rated me 3*, but when asked if there was something she was unhappy about, responded that, no, she really enjoyed her stay, the room was beautiful, just that the price was 'a bit above my original budget'.

Another couple wrote in their feedback that the listing was very detailed and accurate, but left 4* for value because their friends stayed in a hotel for the same price. Yet, there is no comparison of the STANDARD of the hotel room stayed in and most likely it was a super cheap, last minute deal. These guests were paying the same amount for this room as they would have paid for two bunks in dorm in a central London hostel at that time of year. 

2nd floor.jpg

If guests want to make comparisons, they should do their research properly, not just compare to one great deal that their friends got. If that was the going rate for central London hotel rooms and they think that staying in a hotel is better than an Airbnb, why didn't they book one in the first place?

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@John5097 Pricing below Airbnb's recommended price would likely mean the host paying the guest to stay!

@Mike-And-Jane0  I don't think Smart Pricing or host dropping their rates at the last minute is a good strategy, but if that's what they want to do, let the bargain hunter guet find them in a "Deals and Special Offers" value search filter. 

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

@Donata12 I have included the breakdown of the rate including the fees under Other Things to Note. Something like "Airbnb automatically collects 14% local accommodation and sales tax when booking and their fee of 15% from both guest and host." And haven't been dinged on value since including it. 

@Emilia42 In part an enhansed search filter could direct the budget or economy minded guest to such listings. Or help educate them to search for "Deals and Special Offers" if that was a more prominent option, and not use the review process to signal to Airbnb that everything was perfect but now that you ask didn't like those pesky fees the host added.  Although that is a good point about value also meaning good quality. I've thought the same way before, as I try and add value in many ways, but have noticed some guest are still angling for better rates or leave a 2 page list of how it could have been improved. 

@Kia272 @Mike-And-Jane0 @Sarah977 

Thanks for the comments. I think we all agree the value rating is subjective and everyone has good points. Adding additional search filters could help educate guest. 

I've also read a lot of reviews, tens of thousands, and it seems like many are all five stars except the Value, which is 4.8 even for reasonably priced places.  

Looking at the top review sites, Yelp only gives option for overall rating, one through five stars, and a comment for hotels and has tons of reviews for local hotels. One of a more pricy one French Quarter Inn had 5 star overall and no one mentions the rates in the comments where are $500-$700 a night for a single room with king bed, breakfast included. Also only one overall review option 1-5 star on Booking.com also, and again overall close to 5 star.

I can fully understand how Cleanliness, Communication,  Accuracy and even Check in, would be very important to know. The other review and booking sites do have the $$$ signs to indicate how expensive. I know many host have moaned about this for a long time, but now with inflation, higher real estate prices, and building materials, host will have to increase rates, especially new host, so is Airbnb shooting themselves in the foot and super host in both feet with the Value sub category? 

Edit: As @Kia272  articulated so well, Accuracy would cover Value. Guest could cover anything else in the comments. 

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

I'm glad Airbnb has expanded the search filters to include other categories. By selecting one of these like  "Outstanding Views" for example guest would now understand that they would be paying higher rates. 

The only thing I don't like is the prioritized default to week long stays and limited ability for guest to search popular listings for upcoming availability for less that a week. But as I'm at the top of the saearch for outstanding views, I'll have other options, and in time was planning to go up in rates and have more unbooked nights. 

its been such a challenging past two years. I've seen other host increase rates as much as possible, then covid wave hits, they drop them by over 50%, while I maintain a good balance and have ended up with less cancelations and higher yearly average. So I have a lot of flexibility and room to go up in rates to be more compatible with the new search filters. Just a little nervous as I'll need to include other booking platforms and this winter will likely be another challenge due to the timing and having to make adjustments again. I'm trying to find a stress free balance and attract the good guest.