Oh no, my Superhost status is back..

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Oh no, my Superhost status is back..

Just when I was getting used to not having to be nice to you all, since I had nothing to loose, now I feel the added responsibility to behave. What a sad day this is for me. 😄

61 Replies 61
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Rosemarie9

Now Rosemarie, I do have to wonder about you! 

The Irish are an amazing race! They are so patriotic about Ireland, but they can't wait to leave and live somewhere else on earth....Murphy is probably the most common name in Melbourne....after 'Spiros'! And I would lay a bet it's the same in NY! Bloody hell, even me, my surname is Shannon!

But you Rosemarie, as an Aussie, have chosen to buck the trend and end up there in those winters you would so love to avoid....what happened when God wired you girl? ;-))

Cheers......Rob

Robin, I stupidly married an Irish man who hated the beaches of Sydney where I was from. We are separated now and I desperately miss the warmth and landscape of home. The sacrifices one makes for love! Honestly, I didn't realise how open minded and honest us Aussies are until I travelled. The Aussies here in town all miss this about home. The irony of coming from an Island from the arse end of the world, and being in a hurry to get out and see the real world is one all young Aussies of my generation felt. Just like the last generation like Clive James who pitched up in London to escape small town Australian mentalities. But you know, Australia is a great melting pot of so many nationalities, like my Italian immigrant parents. I think my dad would think it funny that I ended up nearer to his home country if he was alive. I miss the great southern land, even if the heat gets old at times. There is something about the sight and smell of eucalyptus trees that tugs at my heart. Until I make it back to the southern hemisphere I will have to be content with the seasonal Irish climate!

Rosemarie, crazy story. I have these guests from Georgia, so today I went to pick them up, they don't want to leave; considering there is no new guests coming till Sunday they are staying and helping me paint tomorrow. A portion of the island has actually been done by Airbnb guests. 

That does not surprise me at all! Just the sort of thing that would happen with you. I am surprised you don't have to remove guests kicking and screaming on check out. I wouldn't want to leave!

You see, @Fred13, this is a prime example of why you lost Superhost status in the first place- some misguided notion that it's supposed to be romantic, sexy or in any way fun, when, in fact, it is actually designed to put you on edge, make you lie awake at night obsessing about how many more matching coffee mugs is the "right" amount, and so on. 

That you supposedly made the grade this time is obviously indicative of yet another system bug, which may be resolved, so I wouldn't get too comfy with being a part of the club just yet, if I were you.

In order to affect a lasting attitude change, I suggest the following exercise-

(Note: You may want to snooze your listing while doing this, as it can take some time)

*Formulate a logical question, the answer to which would be valuable information for all hosts.

*Go into the Help search engine on the website, and type in your question.

*Search fruitlessly for an answer, going back and typing in various key words. Plan to spend    several hours on this before giving up.

*Post the question on this forum, only to find out that no other hosts have been able to get a  meaningful answer to that question either.

*Phone airbnb Superhost line. While holding, repeat Marzena's Mantra "It's hard out there for a host". You can alternate this with "No rest for the weary" or "Never decline, never cancel". Do not under any circumstances fall asleep.

*When you finally get disconnected after holding for 45 minutes, use the call-back option.

*You can use this wait time for a call-back productively by going and replenishing the cell or   

data time you've just used up, and then re-establishing contact with those potential guests   

you've declined in the past, letting them know that your comfort level with their demand that  you boat over and pick them up at 3AM, or their child molestation conviction, is no longer an  issue, now that you are intent on maintaining your Superhost status.

*Since by the time you've attended to all this, you still won't have received that call-back, you can now start a list of all the ways you can revamp the Island in such a way that you no longer get dinged for location (it may be as simple as building that long-postponed bridge to the mainland).

Once you've done all this, you can sit down and have yourself a cup of that tea that airbnb likes to tease us with, knowing you have some tools under your belt to maintain the proper Superhost attitude. Remember- there's nothing romantic about it.  

A picture of a Superhost in the morningA picture of a Superhost in the morning

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Fred13, Yeah, while all the rest of us superhosts are like this.....

Rough week.png

Cheers.....Rob

@Sarah977 I see a best-selling book in the making: 'Rebel Host Rules: How To Lose Your Super Host Status In 10 Guests Or Less'. Speaking of which: I want to put a mantra on my comments and posts here also, but can't figure out how to do it. Is there a way? Or do newer hosts like me not have the privilege?

Hahaha. Yes, it advices how to loose it, not gain it. With my luck, the guests will torture me by doing the opposite, they will do anything to make sure I am stuck with it. The inhumanity of it all.

>:)

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Fred13

Are you sure they didn't just bestow this honour on you because of all that free publicity you got.

I can imagine the coffee break talk in San Francisco back on Monday morning March 6th...

Bert: "How about that nomad ABB down in the Caribbean, gets himself a Wall Street Journal spread, now he's hotter than molten lead!"

Clive: "Yeah feel a bit uneasy about that Bert, this is not a good look for Airbnb, he's only an 'also ran'....no Plus, no Business ready, doesn't even have WiFi, no Superhost. It's a bit embarrasing, the public are going to say, how come we don't acknowledge this guy in some way if he is that bloody good?" 

Bert: "Yeah all that noise that was made a couple of weeks ago, future bullsh*t and all that stuff about how important all our little minnows are to us, throw this coffee down and get Uncle Brian on the horn and see if he can conjure up a suitable reward....keep the yapping hounds off our butts hey!" 

Clive: "Already done that, this guys seems to slip though the cracks, but he does have a couple of years worth of bookings! Joe, Brian and Nate could never match that in a fit.....I am going to stick my neck out here and give him a badge. He can always reject it, but at least we have thrown him an olive branch, that should keep everyone happy" 

Happy olive picking Fred.

Cheers.....Rob 

Hahaha @Robin0. This reminds me when I was in military service (1968-1972), they never knew what to do with me, since I didn't exactly 'fit the mold', so they always gave me responsibility  (platoon leader in Vietnam, or run a communication site in Korea right by 38th parallel, etc.). Hmmm, looking back I think I see a pattern; they always put me in charge of dangerous situations! I survived them all, but this Superhost target is a challenging one. 😉

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

You can stll be a rebel, even with a badge. 'Trojan Horse' kind of thing. #airbnbrebelhost

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

"You have one thing to work on" @Fred13.  I can't believe you let this happen, you obviously have not been slacking nearly enough. Better hurry up and cancel some bookings, don't wash the sheets for your next guest, SOMETHING. 

I  really tried @Sarah977, honest; ignored all requests, wrote no reviews, even made all the guests swim to the island and left them with no food, and still they brushed aside all obstacles and pulled me back into Superhost. I already filed a formal complaint for 'Cruel & Unusual punishment'. I haven't given up.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

I just got my renewed Superhost as well. The email said they'll reward me by making my listing more visible. I'm eagerly anticipating it going from 34 ranking out of 58 to 33. #rebelhost