Oklahoma City Code Enforcement is demanding a $1200 permit...

John23
Level 1
Yukon, Oklahoma, United States

Oklahoma City Code Enforcement is demanding a $1200 permit...

Oklahoma City Code Enforcement is demanding a $1200 permit to operate our AirBnB... is this common in other places?
If not common, any suggestions on how to fight it or shut down?

Backstory: A neighbor in real estate found our posting on AirBnB and turned us in to Code Enforcement. They came and gave us a 10-Day Complaince Ticket, meaning, in 10 days we have to pay for the permit, appear before the city board to get permission (If denied or accepted, we lose $1200), or shut down our AirBnB.

7 Replies 7
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

Wow, that's really bad! Have you contacted Airbnb about this?  They might be getting OK hosts together to protest. Wish you well. 

Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

It could just be the cost of doing business.  

Here is an article about this in OK.  It looks like you might be getting a discount.

http://newsok.com/article/5442044

and another article:

http://kgou.org/post/gig-economy-businesses-uber-airbnb-complex-revenue-source-oklahoma-city#stream/...

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

Curt0
Level 5
Traverse City, MI

Hi,  some starting suggestions.  What code or ordinance did they say you violated?   Did the enforcement officer show you what in the zoning regulations you violated?   So read whatever ordinace or zoning code is referenced and see how your situation compares and let us know.  Are you renting out your entire house or just a room(s)?   Why did you neighbor complain?  Is this a single family residence or a condo?   Give us a bit more information.   I am fighting officials in my township in Michigan so I know some of the issues but it simply comes down to the rules and ordinaces in Oklahoma City.  I see in your town there is a hotel tax and from some articles your officials are quite concerned about loss of that tax to AirBnB rentals.  

David776
Level 1
Oklahoma City, OK

John, How did it run out?  I live in OKC and I hear there is a move to have city council legalize and just take the motel / hotel tax instead.  Contact me [email address removed]  Thanks.

Shannon85
Level 1
Norman, OK

John, I'd be curious too. Pls email me too ****

thx!

*[Personal information hidden for safety reasons – in line with the Community Center Guidelines. To send a direct message here, hover over the post profile photo and click 'Send Message']

Yvette115
Level 1
Centennial, CO

Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if there are any OKC Airbnb owner's willing to let me consult with them. I would like to operate an AIRBNB in OKC and am looking for advice.

Thanks,

Yvette

Hi Yvette, 

I am a host in another city and I live in OKC. I'd be happy to connect and help you with your needs. Please email me at****

Looking forward to chatting with you! 

Mallory

*[Personal information hidden for safety reasons – in line with the Community Center Guidelines. To send a direct message here, hover over the post profile photo and click 'Send Message']