Older Property Stairs Safety

Older Property Stairs Safety

Hello,

I've recently registered here, and although my property is not yet ready - it's not far off. My aim is to start adding information to my listing. I do worry that because my house is an old Edwardian property that the steps on the stairs are not all the same height - basically the stairs are uneven. Does anyone know whether this is something that if I can disclose and then I will be 'covered' or would uneven stairs be a breach of health and safety laws? I live in the UK so my question is regarding UK health and safety.

Thank for any advice.

1 Reply 1
Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Jamie769Welcome to ABB CC from a fellow Host across the oceans over in New Zealand.

You are fortunate to have an Edwardian home, I love history and that era of Craftsmanship.

Do you know who the builders are of your home?
I'd be inclined to include a little piece about the era of your home and that it has steps/ stairs on different heights as it's also a great conversation piece and it helps educate people to stop and reflect on how those before us created homes in the way they did with limited materials and resources.

Maybe look on your Historic Land Title to see who has been Guardian of the property before you and then research those names in your Newspaper archives to see if you can find any other history.

There's always a reason for those quirky things.

A little like places with burn marks from wood/ fire sparks on wooden floors..it all adds to character and stories.

All the best with your new venture.