On Penalizing Hosts for Rejecting Unsuitable Guests

Kevin-s0
Level 10
Minamiashigara, Japan

On Penalizing Hosts for Rejecting Unsuitable Guests

So many guests don’t bother to read the listing. So many are naive about how to get around in Japan and how long it takes. And Airbnb penalizes hosts for rejecting bookings. If you reject more than average your ranking in the listings goes down. So in effect you encourage hosts to accept as many as possible - or be penalized. I feel this is detrimental. Hosts shouldn’t be penalized if guests have children but still inquire about a listing that doesn’t accept children. That’s the guests fault. But if the host rejects them, that goes into their rejection total. Or a listing that is too far for them to get to in one day. Same thing, the host is encouraged to accept them or be penalized. But hosts are caught between your rules and naive guests. I get a disproportionate number of non-English speakers. I feel hosts like me are penalized for trying to do a good job. I understand you are trying to prevent racism. But in effect you encourage hosts to accept guests they shouldn’t as they may be penalized otherwise. Some hosts get around this by accepting guests, then discouraging them from coming. It’s a waste of everyone’s time.

47 Replies 47
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Three things:

1. The reality is Airbnb has no way to detect why a host really is being so 'selective' (aka discriminatory for some). The whole discrimination scene is a monster, oftentimes it comes across as well-intentioned people desperately trying to patch the latest leak in a dam with small band aids.

2. You can be more explicit in your description, right up front, to cut down on the lazy applicants not bothering to read after a few sentences.

3. I already forgot the 3rd, since have had only one cup of morning coffee, but will probably remember it after my 2nd cup.

Kevin-s0
Level 10
Minamiashigara, Japan

I agree with your points and thank you!

But I am explicit.  Some simply don`t read it.

Others find it difficult to read as English is not their first language, Chinese is.

And that said, I even have it in Chinese, but some of the Chinese still don`t even read the Chinese.

Sigh....

ABB doesn’t seem to take each circumstance case by case. They appear to generalize hosts’ responses to guests, which leads to a lot of frustration.

I’ve encountered similar situations as yours where guests have booked with me, changed their minds, didn’t know how to cancel their booking, then asked me to cancel for them, only to be reprimanded by a ABB for canceling “too many guests.” I think I’d cancelled for guests twice:/

When the third guest couldn’t figure out how to cancel his reservation, he asked me repeatedly to cancel from my end. When I refused explaining I didn’t want to lose my hosting privileges, he accused me abusing the system. Afterwards, ABB insisted I write ab explanation and submit copies of screen shots of the conversation to prove I was not lying. Very insulting. Even infantilizing. 

Another guest asked if he could move into the room, and lease it on a month to month basis. When I told him the room was not for rent, he submitted a “low score” of 4.0, for which I have been reprimanded, and told my hosting privileges would be “Paused” if I receive additional low ratings. So frustrating. 

Hi @Fred , here' one for You

2018-07-06 Coffee for Fred.jpg

Kimberly54
Level 10
San Diego, CA

Hi @Kevin-s0.  Good Post, and I'm afraid I agree with @Fred13 about tightening up your description.  Also totally sympathetic to your complaint--guests can be super lazy readers, and the penalization policy is a bit harsh on the host... not a match is a potential disaster and one better avoided completely, but AirBnB is so very into this business of trust and openness I think it unlikely that they will bend much.  The example you gave, however, is a great one (no kids, they have kids, you refuse).  I would encourage you to send this directly to AirBnB.  

Lizzy is our moderator most of the time, and she's quite good at catching threads like this, but you might either want to reach out to her, or someone else at HQ.

Gambatte! (Fred, that's something like 'carry on bravely')  ;-))

Best,

Kim

I sent this to HQ as well.  I don`t expect much to happen.  But I will hope.

My listing is explicit in three languages.  And even the people who speak said languages, still fail to read it often enough.

But I agree with what you are saying Kimberly for the most part.

I think it just goes with the territory.

I am starting to reply in the negative, saying we are far from Narita for travel in one day etc, things like that.

But I approve them and hope they won`t book.

However, another host encourages them to cancel their inquiry.  I will try that.

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Kevin-s0

I only encourage/ask those sending a booking REQUEST to cancel their request.

Normal inquiries by pple shopping around  don't HAVE to be pre-approved, declined, or special offered. The clock still keeps on ticking (subtle Airbnb pressure), but that's not relevant. When you go to your dashboard and click on the inquiry to 'respond' it'll show you "you've already responded". So you simply click "Dismiss" and you're rid of the pesky clock.

If you use IB, you'd be wise to make sure they get a confirmation message re-stating at least all the problem points guests keep getting wrong. If they hadn't noticed before, they probably will now.

BTW, I'd tighten up my house rules, possibly include more points as in more definition of 'no events/parties'.

And don't don't use flow text, much better in form of bullet points - much clearer and easier to oversee.

Kevin-s0
Level 10
Minamiashigara, Japan

Good points Andrea.  I feel my house rules are pretty clear.  I have them in Chinese as well.

It`s things like a physically challenged man trying to book the second floor room that has very steep stairs.  

Sometimes it dumb founds me,.

I`m not sure there is any way to prevent things like this.

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Kevin-s0

You can easily be pro-active. 

Using IB, have your first message after booking state something like reminding them of the weaker 'features' of your listing, for ex.

:

Dear guest, thank you for your booking. Just to remind you of some of the points in my listing you will have most probably noticed, but which I wish to reiterate in your interest in case this is not what you were looking for:

- blablabla... steep stairs...

- the bed is a quite narrow double bed  (state width in inches and cm), 

- blablabla.... not in the immediate center but....

- I live on the premises (in the apartment/house and also work from home

Are any of these a problem for you?

(If they answer in the affirmative, then ask them to contact Airbnb and have the booking annulled)

If you don't use IB, then do the same before accepting a booking, and also mention this when reacting to inquiries.

I got tired of such things back-firing on me due to pple not reading, but  now with this tactic the guests I get are informed  and it's not a problem anymore.

Kevin-s0
Level 10
Minamiashigara, Japan

Yes maybe I should be using  bullet points!  And thank you for the suggestions!

I just caught on that IB = Instant Booking

LOL

If it's  an INQUIRY you only need to reply. Airbnb doesn't require you to "accept" or "decine" at that point. Even though the website will prompt you to do so. We often have conversations with guests prior to their booking, without clicking the "accept" or "decline" button. We still have a 100% Response Rate by just answering guest questions or providing more information about our listing to help them make a more informed decision.

If it's a REQUEST TO BOOK you will need to "accept" or "decline" within 24 hours. Use that time to provide useful information to the guest, so they can decide what they want to do.  But I agree it's frustrating when guests request to book a place that clearly won't meet their needs. You can still "accept" them and let them bow out when they realize it's not going to work for them.  I reserve "decline" only for guests who I truely don't want to host because of something they revealed that would violate our property rules or makes me feel uncomfortable.

Kimberly, how do I find out/reach out to the moderator for my area in Long Beach?

@Kat27, I don't know that there are local moderators at all.  I have a number (415-800-5959) for the Support Team, but I'm pretty sure they're actually in the UK (the area code doesn't mean anything).

Kim

@Kat27  The only way to contact them is through the call centers. 

AirBnB number:

United States and Canada

+1-415-800-5959
+1-855-424-7262 (toll-free)

For Superhosts (they will verify you):

North America: +1-647-945-9627 +1.888.326.5753