On Penalizing Hosts for Rejecting Unsuitable Guests

Kevin-s0
Level 10
Minamiashigara, Japan

On Penalizing Hosts for Rejecting Unsuitable Guests

So many guests don’t bother to read the listing. So many are naive about how to get around in Japan and how long it takes. And Airbnb penalizes hosts for rejecting bookings. If you reject more than average your ranking in the listings goes down. So in effect you encourage hosts to accept as many as possible - or be penalized. I feel this is detrimental. Hosts shouldn’t be penalized if guests have children but still inquire about a listing that doesn’t accept children. That’s the guests fault. But if the host rejects them, that goes into their rejection total. Or a listing that is too far for them to get to in one day. Same thing, the host is encouraged to accept them or be penalized. But hosts are caught between your rules and naive guests. I get a disproportionate number of non-English speakers. I feel hosts like me are penalized for trying to do a good job. I understand you are trying to prevent racism. But in effect you encourage hosts to accept guests they shouldn’t as they may be penalized otherwise. Some hosts get around this by accepting guests, then discouraging them from coming. It’s a waste of everyone’s time.

47 Replies 47

@Kevin-s0   I get the same nonsense from guests who neither read nor comprehend.  You could add No Children etc. at the start of your description, not a guarantee but more might pay attention.

If they are just inquiries see link here for details - you must respond within 24 hours, a message to them suffices and it stops the clock ticking.  Double check by reloading the page to make sure the clock has stopped. I never decline inquiries I just respond and leave them, they will come up again in notifications but I just ignore it because the guests haven't replied to me, the clock is stopped and there is no penalty (that I have noticed), and it also means I do not add to my declines.

If they are actual 'Reservations' you have to accept or decline but you have 24 hours. I respond asap and tell them no pets etc. and suggest they cancel their booking.  btw:  Never cancel a confirmed reservation even if Airbnb asks you to, you will be penalized, always make sure the guest does it, it is afterall their mistake.

Or call Airbnb and discuss with them, they can cancel the booking penalty free and no declines for you.  Good luck it can be a pain when you get a ton of no-read-description guests in a row.

Kailey0
Level 3
Vancouver, Canada

In all honesty, it doesn't matter what you put on your listing you will still get "can you make an exception" to pets even if you said "NO PETS" or "I swear it's not a bachelorette party, it's just a gathering of friends before my friends wedding" if you put "NOT SUITABLE FOR EVENTS OR PARTIES". I don't think there is any way of getting around it. I've come to terms with the fact that I'm going to be penalized for rejecting a guest even if they don't care to read or believe what the listing says. I'd rather that then risk my cabin for the sake of being the first on the list... Thats just how I feel personally 

Kevin-s0
Level 10
Minamiashigara, Japan

Thank you Kailey, I agree!  

I`m originally from Tsawwassen by the way.  Now I live in a Tsawwassen like town in Japan! Ha ha

@Kailey0 - You may be speaking generally here regarding "No Pets", but since I've put this disclaimer, I've not had one request for an exception. Under my House Rules this is #1: "Please, NO PETS. Our family has severe allergies and would like to keep our home dander free as it poses a health threat to us, especially to my husband. Folks w/Service Animals: regretfully, we must decline your inquiry due to this and we kindly request you honor this policy; while we understand your need, we cannot take the risk on our family's health. It's already taking a toll on other parts of our lives. We hope you understand and thank you in advance for your consideration. (This is "no exceptions" for us, even if your dog is "hypo-allergenic".) And Please Do Not Sneak Your Dog On To The Property." 

As far as parties go, I haven't had any guests who've violated this, although I'm sure it'll happen sooner or later.  I'm thinking about putting up an exterior camera to monitor this since I live two hours away from my cabins. 

I've had requests for pets and on our rules it says no pets no exceptions so I guess you're lucky you haven't had the request yet. 

Our cabin area is a bit of a party area so we have to be very careful as the people all around us are people who actually live at the lake. 

Oh no I have it all over out page, they still try and book it with dog or party in mind. It's a bit frustrating when I have to decline a request because they didn't read our rules and my page gets moved down the list because it it. 

Hey, I would say my rules are very clear, I guess you are just lucky to not have the same problems I have. 

I have repeated the rules again but people have still asked. I even had someone sneak their dog in and say he didn't know. I've not had to come to be more strict and say you will be asked to leave if you don't follow these certain rules. It's sad that we have to become mean for them to listen. 

You are so right Kailey, it gets tiresome having to deal with the dishonest requests who think you were born yesterday, I have been told off when not accepting some kid on a rugby weekend who wants to bring six to a room for two. I am going to reiterate all the major points in my listing in message form from now on after my recent terrible experience with a guest who did not read any information given then told airbnb I didn't send any when they can see I did. I keep all correspondence on the platform but I might as well be talking to a toddler sometimes! My decline rate will be increasing after shocking airbnb support and they can just deal with it.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

At least the guest asking the host to make an exception is a warning of the intentions of the applicant, beats being unpleasantly surprised later. It also helps the host handle a guest situation when it is clear the guest chose to ignore a condition by using the excuse they 'didn't see it'; how could they not if it is in the first paragraph. Nothing too loose, and perhaps much to gain,  by adopting this approach.

@Kevin-s0

Instead of declining, I usually send a message along the lines of (FYI, my listing is a single occupancy private room)

"I will approve your request on condition that you FULLY understand your friend is not welcome to enter my home at any time. This is against my house rules and a violation will not be tolerated. My listing is a private room in my home, where I reside, and I do not allow anyone other the the single Airbnb guest who made the booking into my home. Please go back to my listing page and READ my house rules and listing description before you proceed to finalize your reservation. If there is ANY indication that you do not understand the terms of my house rules and there is ANY potential risk of violation, I will contact Airbnb to have your reservation cancelled. Please make sure you read my listing description and house rules, and contact me if you have any additional questions. My house rules are non-negotiable and I have no intention of making exceptions for you. So long as you agree to fully and completely respect my rules, I will be happy to be your host. "

This type of message has usually been successful in scaring away unsuitable guests that I seriously wanted to reject. Hope this helps~!

I had the same thing yesterday when I have no Kitchen facilities available on my site. This group turned up with 2 Lobsters, salmon, fish and prawns to cook for dinner..... the most smelliest of  products to cook in my kitchen. I felt so terrible that I allowed them to cook but afterwards my entire house smelt of fishy things. I am sure they just look at the pictures and don't even read stes properly te. It gets so annoying but am sure they were taking advantage of me. I looked at the reviews and they had been staying in entire appts etc and mine is listed as private 2 bedroom guest wing with no kitchen facilities and to make things worse they did all the prep in the guest wing!  No doubt I will get a bad review.

@Cheryl8 You have a very lovely home, top notch!  No doubt guests find it very desirable.  One thing I would do, if you do not allow guests to cook in your kitchen, is to remove the picture of the kitchen on your listing.  By showing your beautiful kitchen the unstated message is that it is available for guests to use.  I totally sympathize with the lobster situation.  Must have taken days to get rid of the smell!

Kevin-s0
Level 10
Minamiashigara, Japan

Yep, and maybe they will complain you had no kitchen! LOL

Sorry! Unfortunately I can relate all too well!

I wonder if lobster is good raw! Ha ha

@Jessica-and-Henry0You know that is the operative word - 'condition'. A host is accepting a guest under the condition they have read the description. 

I agree, I resisted being so direct up until now, but have had a great deal more trouble with some bad guests recently and will adopt this attitude now. Especially since airbnb support seem to take the view that keeping all guest happy is the aim, even when some guests are so bad they have no place on the platform and you would not inflict them on any host.