On site hosts...breakfast incl. Or not?

Ellen33
Level 9
Assenede, Belgium

On site hosts...breakfast incl. Or not?

Hi guys,

Who of the on site hosts do serve breakfast? 

Is included in the nightly fee or do you give them the option to have breakfast but they need to pay extra?

Incase they need to pay extra for breakfast when do they need to ' book' that? When they book or when they check in? How do you get your money? Via airbnb system? Cash?

How much would you ask in case its extra?

11 Replies 11
Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

If it's listed on your list of "ammenities" then it's included in the price.

I don't provide anything other than coffee and I also make it clear in my description, among other things that no breakfast is served. I don't want some guest to hastily book my stay then find out later that my stay isn't what they were assuming.

Bryan10
Level 10
Feltham, United Kingdom

I offer breakfast but I keep it simple: just tea/coffee and toast, and a piece of fruit. For most people that's fine. Just occasionally I've cooked eggs for someone, but I don't advertise that (and it's only if I like them lol). It's included in my price, a modest £30 GBP / night. Having said that, many of my guests don't eat anything as have brief stays - cos I live close to the airport and they're just passing through. 

@Ellen33

We keep it simple and DON'T provide breakfast or any meals/food. We do provide all-you-can-drink coffee and/or tea. We usually (not always) have some sort of cookies/crackers/trail mix/granola bar available that we leave out and tell guests to help themselves but do not advertise this at all.

Most of our guests stay long-term so we did think about providing milk/cereal/toast but decided against it because we'd have to always keep things stocked and consumption would differ between guest. What if the guest tried to live off the milk/ceral/toast that we provide? And if they didn't like what we had, would we be expected to supply an alternative that the guest prefers? - too complicated! On occasion, we'll invite our guest to join us for a meal when the timing is right and we feel like it 🙂

Niel3
Level 10
Llanberis, United Kingdom

In my listings I do not have breakfast ticked as being provided. However my guests have full access to my kitchen and I make available some cereal, porridge, milk, bread and jam/marmalade if they want to make their own brekfasts.

For the sake of the few quid it costs to provide these things as an "unexpected extra" I feel it's worth the small investment in my AirBNB star rating. 😛

Cindy403
Level 4
Philadelphia, PA

I offer tea, coffee, juice, fruit, yogurt, hard boiled eggs and some sort of bread or pastry. It is self-serve and I rarely join them in the morning. I check with the guests to see if they prefer coffee or tea and will set the coffee brew time the evening before or leave the kettle out so it is ready when they’re ready. It is included in my price. 

I also leave out granola/trail bars and small packets of almonds they can take with them when sightseeing. 

Terry15
Level 2
Houston, TX

STOP - just take the breakfast out..... it is not worth it and people don't expect it.  They will only take advantage of you to try to get more and more.  Stick with the basic and best please to sleep and hang out.

@Terry15 For my area, I disagree. It is a competitive differentiation. Everything I listed is very easy to maintain and not expensive. All have 1-2 week shelf life. 

My guests really enjoy this amenity before they head out for the day in the city. My guests are either in town as a tourist or visiting family. Being able to eat a yogurt or bagel with their coffee or tea is a very nice way to begin their day. Many take a banana with them. 

Again for me, it has been a very positive feature mentioned in reviews, but all in person. 

For any host, I would analyze your typical guests to identify if this feature makes sense and price your space accordingly if it does. 

@Terry15 I also noticed that you host an entire home, so being off-site is very different than hosting within your home. Off-site listings I wouldn’t offer anything. But, my hosting offer is within my home. 

Some host offer breakfast for pleasure. I once watched a hosting YouTube channel that talked about “Hospitality vs. Generosity”. 

I think you are right about most guest not expecting it. We need to be financially discerning. However honest about the value joy in generosity can provide. 

Each host must way their heir own incentive for hosting. 

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

I do not advertise that I offer anything other than coffee. However, for many of my guests (those I like, haha!) I will go out and buy muffins/croissants/fruit and leave them a note in the morning telling them to help themselves.

As @Cindy403 mentioned, guests appreciate a little snack before heading out for the day.

This has contributed to the "oh wow" factor, as I like to call it. Unexpected touches that are simple and inexpensive, but make the guest feel extra special, and is reflected in their review of my home.

Under promise and over deliver!

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

I am with @Suzanne302, Breakfast to me is a cooked one and comes with all sortsof issues, I do leave bits out.

David
Pamela-Keith0
Level 2
San Diego, CA

I offer a traditional hot BNB breakfast at no extra charge. I take the order at my guest’s Checkin Tour. I only offer the meal based on their order and only for the first week, unless a get another simultaneous guest in another room. Then the first guest is welcome to hot portions, again. 

I also have a breakfast/bistro bar with continental type options and snacks that guests are welcome to at any time. 

These amenities are included in the price. I wish there was a distinction in the AIRBNB algorithm search between BNB Style hosting vs. all other hosting.  Because there does not seem to be my listing is priced compared with non-breakfast listings. 

As an American Airbnb guest, I confess that most other hosts mean continental breakfast when they say “breakfast”. I am not a cereal eater so that means “no breakfast” to me. 😄