One positive sentance

Melodie-And-John0
Level 10
Munnsville, NY

One positive sentance

1_srwrdgLdf4-lzTlvrBVU_g.jpeg

Ok everyone, there is much to be sad, unhappy and mad about, this thread is not about that.  This is one sentence about something you saw or happened that was positive today.  Who knows, if it catches on, it could surpass the negative effects of other things that I wont mention without a shot or bailout, Good luck, heres my first contribution to the thread-

We are just coming out of winter grip on the first day of spring and this morning I heard frogs peeping down on our pond! 

86 Replies 86
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Melodie-And-John0 

Thanks Melodie and John. I can't quite fit it into a sentence but can I tell you about a recent event.

I was a few months ago in a supermarket queue when a customers credit card was declined These card declines generally seem to happen in the fast lane with someone who only has a few cents to throw around…..they happen out of desperation! I was behind an elderly gentleman…..well (in retrospect) about the same age as me at that point, about 75 and his card was declined! His shoulders slumped as though he almost expected it, but before he had the opportunity to haggle with the check-out operator over which items he should leave off his shopping list I motioned the checkout chick to cancel the transaction and put his goods through with mine. He turned to me and said….”Sir, you can’t do that”! and I said to him….”Mate, one day you can do the same for me”! He squeezed my shoulder, left with his groceries…..and life went on!

Our paths did cross a couple of times, Mt Barker being a relatively small town of 35,000 inhabitants and each time I asked how he was getting on he said, life was tough but ok, he was managing.

A few weeks ago he turned up at our door one afternoon with $32.47 in cash (the amount of his original supermarket bill which his card had declined), a dozen champagne for my wife Ade and a dozen really nice red wines for me…….information he had noted from our couple of meetings.

He invested $6.00 in a ‘scatchy’ lottery ticket and hit a $35,000 jackpot and wanted to make sure he repaid those who had helped him.

That $32.47 gift returned me over $400 in fine wine........ and a possible lifelong friendship!

Look for the best in situations........You never know where a good deed might take you!

Cheers……Rob

@Robin4 , see, you aussies are always breakin the rules, well I just wanna say, your in good company  with me, Ive broken a few before myself!   Thanks for that story, so awesome to see karma of a positive nature instead of wishing it to be inflicted to those deserving of a negative payback.  stay well and happy, John

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This is an a heart warming story @Robin4 and as ever you are such a true gent. I love that he managed to track you down and a big cheers to that!  It does sound like the man you helped really deserved the luck he got. : ) 

Wishing you and Ade both well. 

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Melodie-And-John0 

What a brilliant idea!!

We here in Auckland , New Zealand are supposed to be coming into Autumn & Winter on the horizon...

This is more than one sentence however I hope it brings a smile to someone's day.

My friend's dog Zara, the Jack Russell, somehow managed to sneak into the swimming pool complex whilst we were in the pools only to send the staff on a chase!!

She gave the male pool attendants the slip when they tried to coax her, slipped under the dive board and strutted down the middle of the pools, then around the end when she took off!!

Hahaha we laughed and thought it was hilarious and so did other patrons who had no idea who she belonged to.

As a well known gentleman said to me recently, 'That jolly darn dog just keeps on popping everywhere!!'

Her owner gave her a quick shampoo in the pools as they are closed for 2 weeks due to Corona virus procedures. She then gave her the slip..

It's moments like this one wishes one had their camera handy.

Keep smiling and have a great day

@Helen427 , another super sized sentence infraction, this won't be tolerated, Ok, but just this once....  Ha ha, another great story that make you chuckle, our last pup cortie just loved to escape and make me chase her around the pond (big pond), then run right back to the house leaving me huffing and puffing...  Keep well. John

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

THANK. GOD.

Personally I am tired of seeing threads, news and screeds about the new "c-word." Let's take a break from it, shall we?

We guests that are still coming. 

In my online business I had a big sale yesterday. 

I cleaned up my garden yesterday, weeded, threw out dead leaves from winter, cut back dead plants, painted furniture and am having some friends over this evening for drinks and takeout snacks from my my favorite local restaurant (less than 10 people! No one in a risk group or showing any symptoms!) All of my plants seem to have survived the winter, not that we had much of one in Maryland this year.

My mourning dove pair are nesting early in a flower pot on my balcony. I just love watching the babies learn to fly every year. 

A lot more than one sentence but hey,  I am feeling very positive 🙂

OK @Laura2592  of MD, I see a trend here, Airbnb ers just refuse to follow the rules and norms (I guess that's why were considered pioneers and innovators not just naysayer and complainers).  See the last sentence mostly "fit the terms and conditions of the thread "  (if you change the period to a comma!!!!) 

"My mourning dove pair are nesting early in a flower pot on my balcony. I just love watching the babies learn to fly every year. "

But the rest is actually pretty cool stuff as well so I guess we will let it pass, Safe booklings and Stay well, John

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

Very nice thread @Melodie-And-John0 .

I hate to be that person... But I woke up. 

Yesterday, I took a walk down by the deserted canal at lunchtime. It was a nice day, and the birds were singing, the first leaves were coming out on the trees, the grass is starting to turn green, etc. I'm one of the only people left in my office, and I was feeling a bit down. I walked past this bench.

thorsten bench.jpg

I paid for this bench to be there: I walk by it often, but don't always notice it consciously. Thorsten was a colleague and he had sudden heart failure while out riding his bike four years ago. I said goodbye to him at 5 pm on a Monday evening, and he was gone an hour later.

Today is a gift, and I'm going to try very hard to treat it as such, no matter what tomorrow may bring.

@Alexandra316 , I suspect my "One Sentence"  request may not allow justice to be served when remembering and noticing good things like another day with those we love so if a few line do it better, than a few it will  be.  It sounds like Thorston moved on too early and is lucky to have such good folks like you to remember him and keep that memory alive for us still on this  hopefully long and often strange trip were on.  Bless you, him and all of us as we navigate places that a gps wont take us today and forever more, stay well and keep remembering!  John

@Melodie-And-John0 Yes, definitely too early. He was 42, and he had a young family and a wife he loved very much. That was one of the hardest parts, and the main reason I did the bench; every day at lunchtime, he and his wife used to walk down by the canal and have their lunch. Tomorrow isn't promised to us, C-19 or no.

All the best to you and your family as well! Be well.

@Alexandra316 , best sentence! 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Talked to a friend of mine today who buys, makes and distributes herbal remedies and vitamins. She has been going to the homes of those who are sick with coronavirus, wearing mask, gloves, and maintaining a several meter distance, to distribute products which are known to boost the immune system and have anti-viral properties, as well as share all the current information (which gets updated daily) on how to clean and how to protect oneself. She is forgoing payment at this time for those who are too sick (or been exposed and are self-isolating) to get to the bank. 

Not exactly one sentence, but close  :-))

Your friend sounds like a great friend to have @Sarah977 , stay well, John

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Melodie-And-John0, my son flew home from the UK and arrived safely here last night after a 500 km drive from the nearest international airport and is in lockdown with me for the next 2 weeks. Mother and son bonding time!