One thing in your space you are SO GLAD you have/One you wish you didn't

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

One thing in your space you are SO GLAD you have/One you wish you didn't

Curious-- what is one thing in your guest space you are so glad that you have? It could be something you never thought you would need but saves you a lot of work/an aesthetic element that people really love, etc. Conversely, what is something that maybe your guests adore that you don't? Or that you wish you could get rid of for some reason?

For us,  the thing we love is our Ring camera. It actually came with the house when we bought it. and I thought it was a little creepy. But it has saved us so much worry and trouble.  I can't imagine hosting without it.  Also, I am SO GLAD we have a leather sofa. Not typically my aesthetic but man, makes clean up much easier when guests are messy. Hard to stain that thing with wine!

I think our guests would say that they really love the fireplace,  but that is the one thing I wish we didn't have. It certainly adds to the cottage-y appeal, but you guys have heard me complain about guests who can't understand how to open a flue or properly burn a fire log. 

5 Replies 5
Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Laura2592,

I am also glad that we have a Ring doorbell.  The other thing that I am really glad that we did while renovating our attached apartment was disconnect the ventilation system, and install a large mini-split system that's controlled by a Cielo Breeze smart controller just for the apartment.  It worked very well for us, because now that there is a prolific respiratory virus around, we have no concerns about sharing circulated air with our guests, and don't have to cool/heat that space when unoccupied.

I wish I had gotten a darker colored sofa, because I know it will get stained.  I bought it because it was such a great price.

Guests really seem to love how the apartment is efficiently laid out, and the large bathroom with separate shower and soaking tub.

Emily487
Level 10
KCMO, MO

@Laura2592 

I am so glad that we had a little closet for baby/toddler items. It really opened up our place as a spot for families with kids AND it gave me a place to put some of my baby gear that my kiddo has outgrown! Also, we have a mini-shop vac (that we bought my accident thinking it was a full size) tucked away that guests can use to clean their cars and they love it. 

Ann783
Level 10
New York, NY

My favorite thing is the outdoor shower. Technically, for rinsing off after a day at the beach, but I use it all the time in the summer.  The feature I like the least is probably the yard … weeds grow faster than our shrubs

Emily487
Level 10
KCMO, MO

One more great addition- double sided shower curtain hooks. Guests don't care about it but it makes it soooo much easier to take the liner off and wash it without having to also take off the decorative outer curtain. 

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Emily487,

Yes, you're correct.  I use them personally, and for all of my rental spaces.