Ontario Canada Covid #'s Expectation 2021-05

M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

Ontario Canada Covid #'s Expectation 2021-05

Hello Ontario Hosts

The government has now stated that Covid modelling for Ontario show daily infections of 18,000 by the end of May😤

Screenshot_20210415-171830_CTV News.jpg

@Lawrene0 

4 Replies 4
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

Yes, started notifications to my May guests tonight with a link to the new restrictions and fines. Another weekend of walking a month's worth of guests through cancelling. I expect you are doing the same, @M199 . It's disheartening, but we're not alone. Loads of hosts in many places are in the same situation. And there's hope of an end to it someday -- if you can find an Australian to talk to. 🙂

M199
Level 10

@Lawrene0 

Just messaged 6 guests.  1 replied as they were discussing it exactly when I messaged them.  Got them to rebook in October.  Still waiting on others.

Have long do you give guests to respond to a "please rebook message with a waiver of cleaning fees and refund of additional room rate", if higher than original booking rate  before you cancel? If you do that.

Manina 

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

Rebooking is the best, so that's great, @M199 . As my 2021 dates are nearly completely gone, I'm offering to open up 2022 dates for them if they want. I did that for a couple of the April bookings. But cancelling makes the most sense for most of them -- with all the uncertainty. 

My timeline is this: I write through the messaging. Wait 3 days (if there isn't a rush), then write again to say I will be texting or phoning. They tend to answer immediately at that point, but if not, I text. If no answer after a day, I phone. Some ask for a few days to think about it or ask their girlfriend or whatever. I give them that.

I would only go ahead and do the cancelling myself if we were getting down to the wire (24 hours before check-in in my "flexible" case) and I was really afraid they might keep the reservation with all the trouble that would entail. So far it hasn't got to that point. In one case I wrote something like, "It looks like I will have to do the cancelling for you. I really hate to take away your options like that," and, bam, the guest cancelled. Happily, he didn't want me making decisions for him!

M199
Level 10

@Lawrene

I agree I just state "future date".  And then make a note and ask them them to remind me.  But I have to consider I only started Sep 2021, so need to maintain Superhost, like everyone else.😊