Ontario Canada Jan 2021 Covid Lockdown Document

M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

Ontario Canada Jan 2021 Covid Lockdown Document

Hello Ontario, Canada

For us hosts, here is the official Government of Ontario link for Thursdays 28 day Covid Lockdown.

Stay healthy everyone

https://files.ontario.ca/moh-enhanced-provincewide-shutdown-2021-01-12-v2.pdf

13 Replies 13

Cool.

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

Thanks, @M199 . There is always a host who asks! 

And this time the rules are clear, which is great: no STRs except for those in need of housing. 

Clearing my January calendar got sticky because a few guests argued that they could stay. It ended up taking some time to point out that essential travel does not include holidays in treehouses...

Clearing my February calendar should be easier thanks to this clearer restriction. I've already got one cancelled. 

Hope you are doing okay with that process, too. 

M199
Level 10

@Lawrene0 

Sounds good, now we all have a government document to support our positions.  Stay safe & healthy.

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

Had to go in and manually block all my future prep days, @M199 . Guests moving their reservations were seeing those as open, and even able to request changing to them, which would have meant same day turnovers. Uncool.

Just letting you know in case you have a flurry of February reservations moving their dates as well. 

M199
Level 10

Thanks @Lawrene0  , we're closed until April 26 and only open for summer season.  Let's hope this passes before then.

M199
Level 10

Hi Ontario

As of today, January 13, 2021 - below are the rental excerpts from the updated pdf on the aforementioned link.

Short term rentals

Only to be provided to individuals who are in need of housing
Refer to the Services section for details on motels, hotels, lodges, resorts and other shared rental accommodation, including
student residences.

Services

Hotels, motels, lodges, cabins, cottages, resorts and other shared rental accommodation, including student residences
• Any indoor pools, indoor fitness centres, or other indoor recreational facilities that are part of the operation of these businesses, are closed
• Pre-arranged booking for short-term rentals prohibited with exceptions for housing requirements

Michelle2491
Level 2
Peterborough, Canada

What is everyone doing about pre-booked stays. Are you as, the host canceling or asking the guests to cancel in their end? What about fees associated with having to cancel?

Hi, @Michelle2491 . I'm sending my guests the link to the regulations, and outlining their options. In short, they can either cancel or move their dates. I make moving the dates sound very attractive -- no penalties, can be changed as many times as they need with no limit -- while understanding completely if they just want to cancel. For most it is working well. Only three cancellations and everyone else just changed their date. I keep blocking the dates as each one changes or cancels. I'm down to the last two now who are being friendly, but waffling about what to do. I had to give them a deadline. The deadline is tonight...

If they dig in their heels and decide they are coming after all, I will cancel on my end, giving them lots of notice and regretting that I have to do it, etc. l will let you know how that goes!

I've also had to take the extra step of manually blocking what are showing on my side as already-blocked prep days around future bookings. A glitch has appeared that allows guests who are changing their dates to see -- and request! -- those prep days, which would lead to same-day turnarounds. It's no fun telling them no after they have been nice enough to agree to postpone. 

The calendar and I are spending a lot of time together right now. 🙂

M199
Level 10

@Michelle2491 , @Lawrene0 

We don't open for the 2021 until Apr 26 for the summer season, therefore no impact to me right now.  That being said,  I am watching closely and hoping things change before April.  I'm over half booked for July & August.  If things continue to go sideways, I'm considering  blocking unbooked days for April, May & June. Will deal with July & August as we get closer.  Stay safe all.

Wow, it seems so amazing.

In general, I really like to travel and even if we have this situation with the whole pandemic, I still tried not to limit myself and to organize trips as short as they would not be. Next week we planned to go to Canada with some friends and we learned about things to do in Banff from https://openthe.world/places/banff-canada/ so we don't get bored and know exactly the beautiful places we can visit there and the things we can do. I can't wait to leave and I'm sure we will create amazing memories.

Matt3960
Level 2
London, Canada

Hello, im wondering if some of the hosts here can help answer this question. If the ontario travel restrictions are still in effect during the time of my prepaid booking, will i be refunded in full? I hope it does not come down to the discretion of the hosts...thanks everyone!

Hi, @Matt3960 . It depends on the cancellation policy of the place you booked. Take a look for that. Flexible, Moderate, or Strict: it is explained under "Cancellation policy" near the bottom of the listing's page. These are also explained in the Help Centre. 

If you haven't booked anything yet, it sounds like you want to look for a place with a flexible cancellation policy.