Opt Out AirBnB Plus

Joris18
Level 2
Hong Kong

Opt Out AirBnB Plus

Hi everyone,

We recently joined the AirBnB Plus program and now that the listing is online I am actually quite disappointed with it, i.e.:

- Selection of the highlight picture doesn't make sense (entrance of the Villa when we have a gorgous view on rice fields)

- Pictures are soleley the ones captured by AirBnB. Those are great but the photographer missed few parts which I would love to be displayed (Jacuzzi, View from the rice fields, century old hand carved roof, Etc.)

At this stage I am thinking to "opt out" of the program which is probably a bold move and a waste of time for all of us. Before doing so I wanted to gather experiences, i.e. has any of you opt out? Any consequences?

Thanks !

36 Replies 36

@Joris18   Perhaps try it out and see if bookings are good or better. Keep us inform on this experiment. I just saw your listing and you place seem to have more pictures then many airbnb plus listings. Its very upmarket and contemporary. You will get more exposure in the airbnb Plus space so go with the flow....~~~~

Cheers!

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Joris18 your house is amazing!

Azzuri0
Level 5
Ubud, Indonesia

I am also  dissapointed with  my Plus pictures, and I am also curious of consequences of opting out?

The only positive is maybe more exposure since there are only 5 plus lisitngs in Ubud area.

What is your experience up to now regarding the Airbnb Plus program? Is it a good idea to join? We are located in Jimbaran, Bali.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

I rather be in the new  'Airbnb Minus' program. Same benefits but you get to use your own pictures.

Joris18
Level 2
Hong Kong

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your comments, I'll give it a try for few days and see if the more views indeed equals more booking.

If any of you has a way to really get in touch with someone human in AirBnB that could help that would be amazing 🙂

@Inna22thanks 😉

Cheers

Maryam17
Level 2
Seattle, WA

Hi,

I am in the same situation, the photgrapher missed key elements of my listing and I don't like the new pictures. I communicated with Airbnb about those. For now, there are no option to ad pictures or do another photo shoot. I am also trying to figure out what to do as well. My views definetly increased but not the booking rate. 

Sarah785
Level 3
Salcombe, United Kingdom

I think it is a good idea to let the photographer know if there are any key elements you would like to include.  Sometimes their veiw might not be the same as yours.

As a photographer I always ask if there is anything specific (as most photographers should).  Having said that they should make sure that anything that makes your home exceptional is included.  The editing department usually take notice of which photographs the photographer thinks make your home stand out, so maybe it is worth a mention when the photographer takes the photographs for you.

Although this will not help you Maryam hopefully anyone else here will see this and it will help them with the shoot direction

Hi  we are from Athens and excuse us for our english. we have same simliar issues here as their photos although great are missing key elements of the apartment that in our opinion are essential to us and guests .(eg private rooftop with Acropolis view ) from the other side we  believe that we are just  in the start of this plus program and we have to give some time to see how it develops, its pros and cons. As photo presentation is a common issue between hosts who joined plus program airbnb will listen to our concerns or the program will might fail.

Stef32
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

Hi, We are in the same situation with similar issues with the Plus pictures. The views have almost doubled but not a single booking in 45 days. We are thinking of opting out this weekend.

I don't think its beacuse of the plus pictures, I think you have mistakenly added an extra zero to you price

Peter11
Level 2
Fitzroy North, Australia

I have had similar problems with 2 listings for which I paid A$200 each to join AirBnB Plus.

It all started badly with both inspections and photo shoots. The inspections were only 50% completed at both apartments (both photographers said they hated inspections) so I had to spend hours going backward & forward to AirBnB with photos to show that I had knives, detergent, the apartment was clean etc etc. Eventually the photos came back for Apartment 1 .... a total disaster .... the quality was very poor so I ask AirBnB for another shoot. I'm told NO so I suggest we use the original professional photography from a couple of years ago and again I'm told NO. I'm then told I can't add any photos showing the local area, local sights etc..... in fact I'm tod I can't add any photos.

Things get worse when I'm told I can't continue to use the existing property names ..... we have 3 very successful properties with +90% occupancy rates , get lots of referral/returning guests and have property titles which highlight the hip area and what is unique about the inner city apartments .... we'd be crazy to make a change.

Moving on, AirBnB tells me I need a second photo shoot for Apartment 2 (I didn't request it) as I'd implemented their requested changes ..... all good. Anyway, 3 weeks later the images are made available for Apartment2 .... but the are from the 1st photo shoot!!!!!

This is all very frustrating. I have repeatedly asked AirBnB to address the issues above or refund me ..... I'm sure you can guess the response. Anyway, I support the AirBnB Plus concept but from my experiences I wish I hadn't expressed interest ..... for my folly I have lost A$400 and wasted a lot of time.

Thisnis insane. Everyone needs to take a stand on this. You can OPT OUT of the Airbnb Plus program. After reading all the negative comments i think I’m going to OPT OUT as well. If enough of us do that they may rethink things. The program is faulty. You cannot rely on some inexperienced photographer who doesn’t know your home to verify all the details and shoot the best pictures. It simply does not work. 

This is good to read. I have a great place in Denver that is almost always booked. listed on Airbnb plus two weeks ago- Airbnb gave it a new, less appealing title and photos that are far lower quality than the original professional photos I had taken and I have had ZERO new bookings. 

Should I hang in there or should I get out of this program?  HOW DO I OPT OUT? 

Airbnb totally messed up how the photos represent my place and there is not a single contact person that can help me so far. I would be grateful for any and all feedback. There is nothing like investing more money into something that was already working great to find that it actually now isn't working at all.