Option to email guests has been removed

B92
Level 2
Ottawa, Canada

Option to email guests has been removed

Hello,

This message is in response to the recent decision of Airbnb to remove the option to email guests. I've sent feedback requesting to make the guest's email available after receiving the booking confirmation. If you would like to be able to email your guests again, please send feedback to Airbnb in the link below. If enough host's ask for it, the request will be listened.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/feedback

Asking guests for their email via a phone call, text message, or Airbnb chat seems an unnecessary step considering that Airbnb already has their email in the system. Having to ask for the email will generate unnecessary extra work for hosts and guests. If we have access to the guest's phone number, I don't see why we cannot have access to their email address.

9 Replies 9
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@B92 

It was my impression Airbnb decided only to remove the option for direct reply to the temporary Airbnb emailaddress provided. So the guests private email address was already not made available.

I think Airbnb removed the option as there is a security risk involved lik virus in attachment, spam etc..

best regards,

Emiel

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@B92  I was also distressed to find they had removed this, as I do have to email a guest a hand-drawn map to my place or they'll never find it. But the fact is that half the time the guests told me they received my email, but the attachment wasn't there. So it was glitchy anyway. In those cases, I had to ask the guest for their personal email address, explaining why, and at the same time, giving them mine (I have one email address I use for personal correspondence and one I use for business). I never had a guest balk at this when they understood the reason.

I don't find it extra work, because I message my guests anyway, and just include it in a message. I do send them an Airbnb  message to let them know when I've sent it, so they can look for it, and tell them to also check their Spam box if they don't find it in their Inbox. I also ask them to confirm that they got it.

It is now possible, supposedly, to add attachments to Airbnb messages, but I've not had an opportunity to check it out, as I home share and haven't been able to host since March, due to COVID.

@Emiel1  What's the difference, re a virus in an attachment, if it's an attachment to an Airbnb message, to a guest's personal email, or to the coded email address that used to be available?

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@B92  @Sarah977 

Airbnb removed the sanitized email option in the message stream principally because very few people were using it. 

They have actually improved the system now by offering the ability to include standardized message with some sensitive information and the ability to include screenshots or photos into the message once a reservation is in place, which should be handy for you Sarah.

Cheers.......Rob

@Robin4  That's great to know and will certainly cut down on a couple of extra steps. (altho I have to admit, I like having a guest's email address- I don't necessarily think Airbnb has to be privy to all my communication with guests, altho I'd never use it to try to circumvent the booking system).

Elaine671
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

@B92 We have a pdf guide with lots of recommendations, walks, things to do in the area etc which we always emailed to guests via the airbnb email address. It is infuriating that they have removed this. It is too much information to put in the listing. What a pain!

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@B92 @Elaine671 

You can still email your guests.  You just need to turn it on in the "attestation form."

You'll find a link to the form in this update:  https://www.airbnb.com/resources/hosting-homes/a/an-update-for-hosts-who-use-the-email-alias-feature...

The link is specific to your account so I can't post it.  If you don't have professional hosting tools, you can request them, and then you'll be able to attest through the link.

@Robin4 @Emiel1 @Sarah977 

Thank you very much! I didn't know that existed! must have missed the post back in May 2020

Airbnb has now removed this option.....darn

ChuckandCarole0
Level 7
Springfield, OR

Thank you for that info....i do send a check-in email, that gives info about how to access our property and home. I do not necessarily want anyone that has access to airbnb, they may just work there temporarily btw, to have access to that info. Just a security precaution.