Optional Fees for Bookings

Henry16
Level 1
New Jersey, United States

Optional Fees for Bookings

Currently, I do not offer linens for rentals, instead, if they want linen service, I give them a phone number to a local cleaning company that provides linens. However, during booking, it would be nice if I could arrange for linen service for those guest that want it, but not charge for those guest that don't. The AirBnb booking service would be better than the competition if it offered "Optional Fees" that lets the guest pick and choose additional amenities. It will have the added benefit of hosts offering a lower nightly price with several a la carte optional amenities. Here are a few examples:

* Linen service
* Pet fee
* Housekeeping

Those are just a few I can think of off the top of my head. An additional feature that would make this service over the top: adding a drop-down option to choose interval, that automatically adjusts the booking price accordingly. For example, an optional "Linen Service" fee can have an interval of "daily", whereas an optional "Pet" fee can be "per stay". Here is a list of optional intervals:

* per stay
* per day
* per week
* per month

What do you guys think?

19 Replies 19
Ash-and-Dasha0
Level 10
Redwood City, CA

I think you are going to have a lot of unhappy guests who arrived tired and late in the day just to find out that your place with multiple beds which sleeps 8 people but doesn't have linens. I briefly looked through your listing and didn't see any warning that the guest should anticipate to get their linens. Short terms rentals imply such basic amenities as towels, linens, blankets, pillows, maybe even shampoo and other basics. We travel often as guests, so far we were lucky to have such basics in all the places we've stayed. 

If you want additional fees for certain items, you can list them like you did here in your description then request additional money from guests using airbnb resolution center. 

I believe AirBnb REQUIRES you to provide sufficient linens for each guest.

Henry16
Level 1
New Jersey, United States

@Danny0, not true. AirBnb does not require hosts to provide linens, as long as you don't click the "Essentials" checkbox under "Amenities". If I'm wrong, please show me a link to their policy stating otherwise. Last thing I want to do is violate AirBnb's policy.

You are right Henry, linens are not an added-on amenity under the listing description. It's more of an assumed amenity since every time a new reservation is coming up a reminder email is sent saying: 

Host Checklist
Contact the guest via email or phone to confirm arrival time. Provide directions to your address from the airport, train station, etc.
Fresh sheets/pillowcase
Tidy house/bathroom
Fill the fridge with a few breakfast goods (OJ, bagels, fruit)

Many hosts have all sorts of listings starting from a couch in the living room to a tree house with hamocks. You might be ok by not providing linens as long as it is clearly stated in the listing, don't ask for outside of airbnb payments, disclose that fact to the guests in the house rules again which you could email to the guests after they confirm a reservation. But personally I don't see the reason for so much trouble. Bed and Breakfast accomodations always provide towels and linens, that's why they are called B&B.
Eloise0
Level 10
Winslow, AZ

Henry,

I agree that I think you are going to have a lot of unhappy Guests.

"it would be nice if I could arrange for linen service for those guest that want it, but not charge for those guest that don't."

If you think it would be nice for your Guests to have fresh, clean linens, then why are you not supplying them?  

I see that you have spent a good deal of time thinking of all the ways in which you could charge your Guests all kinds of additional fees and it gives me pause to ask; why are you hosting?  No sheets and no warning to your guests that they need to bring them?

Sorry, I must be missing something here.  I think that if you went ahead and offered or just made it your practice as a welcoming Host all the things you want to charge extra for that you will end up having more guests, but more importantly MORE HAPPY GUESTS and end up earning what ever additional expenses you don't seem to be willing to spend.  It is just my opinion, but I think it sends a bad message.

Eloise at Happy Trails

Eloise0
Level 10
Winslow, AZ

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Henry16 

I don't think hosting is for you Henry.....maybe you should be running a car parking station where people just pay and get an empty space for their use!!!

The entire concept of hosting is that you will provide amenities for guests, and, to charge additional for something as basic as Linen is an affront to me and other hosts who try to offer their guests an enjoyable experience. Crickey, what's next, will you want to charge them extra to turn the lights on...turn on a tap?? Gee Whizz, every day teaches me something!

Henry, set your rental amount to allow for things that you consider as additional to your base rate and let market forces determine if people will want to stay at your listing or not.

This is the sort of thing that will ultimately reflect badly, not just on this host but all the rest of us.

I will be keen to know what other hosts think of this concept....cheers.....Rob

Sharon114
Level 10
Lincoln, United Kingdom

Hi Rob, I agree with your comments.  I believe it is the duty of a host to provide fresh linen and towels to every guest, without any additional charge.  I know that we are not hotels but even so surely our guests should be able to arrive at our listing, safe in the knowledge that everything is ready and waiting for them.  Many have travelled a long way, are tired and do not need any additional problems. 

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

I am not able to see your listing as I usually do before I reply to postings.  Your question and business plan does not fit my idea of what the Air BNB guest is expecting and apparently messes with other hosts as well.  However, if your place is more of a camping in the woods type place, perhaps your business plan works.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

A cleaning fee for AUD 205 which doesn't include linen seems a bit steep, but if this is ok in your area I just suggest that you reshoot the pics of the house, and show the mattresses bare since that will be most accurate representation of your listing.

Gail8
Level 3
Cape Town, South Africa

Providing my guests with fresh linen is not optional - this is a part of the hosting service I offer - fresh, crisp clean linen.   However, an excellent point has been made in that Airbnb should provide guests with a choice / option of whether or not they want a daily (every 2nd day, weekly etc) cleaning service when they make their bookings.

So Airbnb, please provide a drop down box with various options that guests can select - not only will it make it easier for us hosts but it will also gives new Airbnb guests an understanding of how the system works.

@Gail8  While I agree there are different traveler needs, I really think the cleaning and linen change has to be a host decision and not an Air BNB option.  Perhaps what would address your suggestion would be for hosts to be clear about these issues.  Many guest are unfamiliar with the shared economy and may only have an expectation developed from hotel/motel options.

Gail8
Level 3
Cape Town, South Africa

Hi Linda, Thanks for your input and advice.   I have already replied to Rob (below) and will make an amendment in my description's listing.   Once again thanks so much.   Have a great day.

Regards Gail 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Gail8 Personally I think that will just lead to a lot of confusion Gail.....guests will tick the wrong boxes, are you expecting that an additional fee would be required for each additional room service to be factored into the guests charge? Some will just ignore because they don't want to faced with additional fees. I can see a minefield of headaches going down that path.

Gail this is not a hotel site....in most instances guests are paying far less than they would for a hotel, most are aware that they are coming into a home environment where they will not have the use of a 24 hour a day reception desk, daily serviced rooms and concierge facilities at the front door.

If a guest stay is longer than 4 nights we will offer to change bed linen. There is always at least two complete sets of towels for guests to use. As far as I am concerned lets not complicate things any more...it's already complicated enough with the review system the way it works and the rolling calendar unblocking blocked dates.

Sorry Gail, absolutely not with you on this one.

Cheers.....Rob