Ordinance Buena Park

Alex-and-Monica0
Level 1
Buena Park, CA

Ordinance Buena Park

Hi I've renting my house for Airbnb, but now the city of Buena Park has set an ordinance that I have to be living in the property in order to host it. I don’t live in the premises but my ID still shows that address as well as my bills. I recently applied for the permit and they denied me for two reasons one that I don't live there and the other because there has been calls for police 9 times due to my neighbor being so picky. I requested an appeal and they told me they will let me know which day to go for a public hearing appeal they said it might take a month or two to get that date. Today the head of code enforcement showed up to my rental,  my tenants from Airbnb opened the door and he asked them if they rented the whole house, if I was staying there with them and for how long they rented the property for. I called him and complained about it saying I don't think that was right for him to do it, and it seemed like harassment. He said he's allowed to do what he did by the city. I need some help if you can please.

Thank you

1 Reply 1
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

It must be frustrating for you that your city has introduced these new restrictions. @Alex-and-Monica0  (when did they first talk about doing this?).

Sadly for you if your city has brought in regulations saying you can't host remotely then you shouldn't be hosting.

Your code enforcement guy was perfectly within his powers to check your accommodation. It turns out he was correct - you are continuing to host despite being denied a permit which in most locations is against the law and can lead to heavy fines . It was not harassment. 

Are you absolutely surely your neighbours were being picky rather than your guests being anti-social/noisy so that's why police were called? 

In terms of help you could consult a lawyer but the city regulations seem pretty clear cut. Perhaps look at long term rentals.