Other Arbnb conflict of interest

Rhonda34
Level 4
Western Australia, Australia

Other Arbnb conflict of interest

As Airbnb grows we are finding more and more places registered to host,  and thats  a good thing, as competion is healthy and good for the town. I live in a holiday town so more people the better. 

My problem is that there is an Airbnb accoss the road. That one does not concern itself with how many people it crams into the house. Lets face it for 700 a night then its good for packing in Bucks parties and Schoolies events. 

The police are constantly called and I have put in at least 28 complaints to the shire. 

All this does not bode well for Airbnb  reputation. Especially as  people are adjusting to a new idea as with Uber ,its reputation can get tarnished by the wrong kinds of Aibnb. 

I am conflicted now to carry on as if my guest cant sleep  because of a party house, that can give me very bad ratings. 

The owners are also harrasing me because I have complained to the local Shire and had to call the police. 

There seems to be nothing I can do, because one Airbnb person sounds like sour grapes when their is aproblem with another Airbnb.

Money has become the driving force for some rather than the lovely experience of hosting.  Thats evedent now as I see the local resorts and hotels now on Airbnb. Kind of misses the point to do that I think, but  its a business for Airbnb so who can blame them. 

9 Replies 9

@Rhonda34, you weren't kidding when you said the other AirBnB is close to you.

And no wonder they gets a lot of big parties; they say "Early Check Ins/Late check Out. Suit up to 24 guests" and "House is huge with barbecue alfresco area for all to meet. Large backyard and table tennis table, Parking for at least 12 cars"

It is almost like a parody of a normal AirBnB listing.

The funniest part to me was this: "We give our guests space & are only 5 mins away if needed".

Of course they give their guests space. Who would want to be within earshot of this?

I can't think of anything that you can do that you aren't already doing. You have called the police and complained to your local authorities.

I don't think there is any way to avoid having the owners upset with you.

In a perfect world, the local authorities would force the owners to live in the unit. That way the owners would get to enjoy the noise and sleepless nights every time there is a party... which probably is every time there is a booking.

I hope this gets resolved in a favorable manner. You are 100% correct in believing this is going to trash the local's opinion of AirBnB.

Rhonda34
Level 4

They live about 20 min away. Well out if ear shot. I have tried fir three years to get things resolved. The odd thing is Airbnb just said fir me to write a comment that they pass on to the host and fir me to give the link etc. it's not rocket science Airbnb can easy fund the listing like you did. And I have contacted the host a lot with the result some pretty ugly texts some very creepy so I am not outing myself at risk if getting my tyres slashed 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

I think the huge success of Airbnb to advertise, which is really what they actually do, has led some people to think Airbnb is responsible for everything that owners chose to do with their property and even how guests chose to behave when in them.

The personal responsibility lies with your neighbor, not the avenue in which he chooses to be so thoughtless. And yes, Airbnb will be dragged into the bad publicity that goes with it, fair or not. Unfortunately they can't predict, nor control, people's actions.

Rhonda34
Level 4

That's true but over time as Airbnb grows then perhaps if they get complaints from other hosts it could be three strikes and your out. 

Yes, Airbnb could stand to be more selective; they should drop these airheads immediately.

Robin129
Level 10
Belle, WV

Is it possible to purchase a white noise machine for the guest room? Then maybe mention something like, "Rowdy neighbors won't be a problem because we provide a nice quiet sleeping room." Or something like that. Offer a discount if the guests are complaining. 

Watch for underage "guests" at the parties. That may get the owner's shut down, or at least more interested in who is in their home. Can you imaging if a young person got hurt?

---> That's how I look at most guests, like cousins. And you know, some of those cousins are kooks.

@Robin129, @Rhonda34 doesn't need a white noise machine.

She has a multicultural noise machine right next door.

(Sorry for the joke. I think your suggestion is actually very constructive.)

Phoebe20
Level 2
Bassendean, Australia

Hi Rhonda, 

I feel your pain... like most of said before, AIR BNB seems to care more about making short term money rather than looking after its hosts!

Noel63
Level 10
Coober Pedy, Australia

What do your other neighbours think about this?