Our Military is important!

Connie38
Level 1
Pagosa Springs, CO

Our Military is important!

Does Airbnb give a discount to our soldiers?

14 Replies 14
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

You would have to ask them Connie - you can use the search function 'contact AIRBNB'

Melanie58
Level 10
Boise, ID

Off the top of my head, Airbnb is an international service, therefore I would wonder where it would end - surely Russia, China, England, and India value their military as well - I have to assume you are talking about the US Military since you are in Pagosa Springs. There are hosts who live near a hospital and want to offer discounts for people who have children with cancer and need a place to stay, there are hosts who offer hospice type discounts - there are really a beautiful and surprising number of hosts who use their home as a way to be a spot of good in the world, but I think it would be quite a burden to ask all hosts to offer discounts for the literally millions of different things one could offer a totally worthwhile, legitimate discount for.

As for offering a discount - there are indeed ways for individual users to offer a discount, though not in a straghtforward way.  The simplest way to do that would be to place some language in your listing that you offer a discount of x % for active duty military and/or Veterans.  Then you would have to decide how/if you want to verify that - possibly by an ID card?  You could then apply the discount as a change to the reservation when your guest arrives, or if you are more trusting, you could make a special offer to any military guest that inquires about a listing.

England has not had an army since 1706? I could look it up but I am lazy.

But I agree with your sentiments, which Military was my first thought.

As an individual you can special offer I suppose, just be careful about running foul of the discrimination policy

David
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Connie38 - one more thought - if you want to give discounts to your military there is nothing to stop you making them a special offer.

Lots of BNB hosts do social good for example offering free accommodation in an emergency - forest fires, earthquakes. I use my listing to support a young homeless charity, others have started social enterprises.

Others may want to offer discounts to doctors, nurses, charity workers, aid workers.

Be creative and give back in ways that works for you.

We live near a recruit center, so I usually offer a discount to families here to attend graduation. I don't put it in my listing. I just do a special offer.

Penelope10
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Most airbnb listings comes with discounts if you booking weeks or months. Airbnb is world wide. So you mean discounts for all militaries? Interesting question. Wonder if there is a student discount too. you might have to reach airbnb if there something like that.

What has a student going to school done for the country?

A student enriches their knowledge so that they may become a more productive member of society and therefore also be able to give more back to the country and help to pull the country and the economy up.  😛  Also, an informed voter is good for any democracy.  The act of being a student usually enables one to become better informed.  😉  As such they become a better citizen, a better soldier, a better civilian and therefore enabling a better country.   😄

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

The bulk of any payment is going to be your hosting plus cleaning fee, rather than what AirBnB charges. You can decide to offer any guest, or occupation a discount if you wish. That in itself is not positive or negative discrimination. Nice idea...

Connie38
Level 1
Pagosa Springs, CO

Thank you all for your suggestions! I am in the US. I really love how other ideas were added also.

Thank you!

Nice thread guys    Very useful information 

Giovanni407
Level 3
Pensacola, FL

People are so ignorant. 😂When it comes to our military. 

No no no. Bad. Listen Man, the if you want things to exist you must approach with sense.  This is not a chain store.  The host Letti is very clear about her policy.  That's reasonable.  She lets you stay at her place while on official TDY by deducting taxes.  Now as far as leisure is concerned...because as stated above, YOU would have to ask a host for a deal.  If they provdie...cool if not, that does not make them a bad person.  Stay at the place and be an example of the Military, so that hosts see that the majority of us are awesome guests.  You are in charge of educating people on your profession.  One last thing... You said: "What has a student going to school done for the country?"  Dude, dont be that way.  Walk a mile... Before you get all high and mighty on me... 16 years in deployed many times to combat zones while you were in school.....still doing it today. #debateme

HOSTS: 

if you are wanting to give a small thanks to military folks/vets.  Its not a bad idea to ask for an ID in person.  Asking for a copy is not legal, unless you are a Medical provider.

If a military person asks for the taxes to be removed for official buisiness purposes, official orders can be shown to prove this. On TDY(Temporary Duty) a Form 1610 can be shown if on PCS(Personnel Change of station) orders can be presented.  If they are super secret chuck norris ninjas on a mission to stop a nuke attack by Bin Laden clones and refuse to show you their ID or orders...dont give them the discount.  Easy.  Hope this helps.  For those that help out with discounts in any realm...Thank you.

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Giovanni407  There are many hosts that are not ignorant when it comes our military. I'd like to think I am one of them. I am near two bases Lackland and Fort Sam Houston. I give the families coming in for BMT graduations discounts and all military. I add special amenities for them also that I do not offer usually.to my guests. Heck, I even have solid black umbrellas available for them when they are in dress uniform as it the only color they can use, but I am ignorant when it comes to military. We are military families like many other hosts, my grandson is in the Coast Guard with intentions to stay in until retirement and my business partners daughter is in the Marines and stationed in Kiwait. I think it's rather insulting to me and many other hosts that try to honor our military for their service to make a broad comment like you have on a few threads I've read today. My guests checking in today are a BMT graduation family. Here's a message left in my guest book by a Marine on leave from Kiwait. Now are you going to tell me again how ignorant I am when it comes to our military? Sorry for the rant, but you really irritated me repeating this on other threads too.

Mitchell.jpeg