Any Outdoor Security Camera Recommendations?

Farah1
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Any Outdoor Security Camera Recommendations?

Hi hosts!

Do you have any recommendation for outdoor security camera that records both visual and audio + record the whole thing that I can check later either to a hard disk or a cloud that has a great value and affordable?

Thanks!

15 Replies 15
Ron103
Level 8
Galveston, TX

Hi Farah,
I use blink, they have indoor and outdoor cameras that are battery operated and use wifi to send their image.
Nest as a pretty good system that uses wifi, but each camera must be plugged in to a standard electical outlet.

Jann3
Level 10
Santa Rosa, CA

Do you have a computer (mac?) that can act as a recording device? (ie: you leave on 24/7?) If so I use SecuritySpy Software with 4 Foscam C2 (1080p) cameras. The 720p (C1) cameras are $50-ish on amazon. The 1080p (C2) cameras are anywhere from $79 (on sale sometimes) to $119 (normally). The software is around 74 euro for the ability to record 4 cameras. It has free iphone, ipad AND AppleTV apps that you can use to view the video feeds....or you can view them from the mac. It is a one-time purchase...vs DropCam, etc which is monthly fees..

It can record only when action is detected OR 24/7...and is not hard to set up. Ben Software (the developer) is very communicative and fixes issues very quickly. 

IF you don't want to run your own server, then DON'T GET THESE CAMERAS! They are inexpensive, yes...but they're made for a programmer to use..not someone who wants plug-play-cloud recording. JCPenney sells Arlo (plug/play) as well as a full suite of Samsung security products in-store now and usually is the same price on them as Amazon. My neighbor has Arlo and swears by them! I've never used them. Costco also carries the Arlo brand (made by Netgear). 

Friends also have Ring...but I am not sold on Ring. Personal preference.

Farah1
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Thank you @Ron103 and @Jann3 , I will check them out!

Dirk50
Level 1
Carlsbad, CA

I use the Nest outdoor camera and it has been a life saver.  It is inexpensive, super easy to install and plugs into an outlet so you don't have to mess with batteries.  It has night vision and audio, you can also talk to anyone that is on your property and they can talk back to you.  The quality of the picture is amazing and records up to 10 days.  You can save clips and use them later if need be.  Any movement or sound alerts your phone or computer right away so you can see what is happening as it is happening.  I also use it to check my guests in and out since my area requires a personal check in procedure for transferring the keys to the guest.  I would not use anything else.

Thanks @Dirk50 that sounds pretty good, I will check it out!

Is it legal for outdoor cameras to face pool or hot tub area in Florida? 

We use both Ring and Nest cameras. Be sure to add a disclaimer to your House Rules so your account isn't shut down by Airbnb. The following has been approved by Airbnb:

→DISCLAIMER: For your safety and the safety of others, surveillance cameras are installed outdoors at this property.

Which do you prefer, Ring or Nest? I am trying to decide which one to buy for my Airbnbs. 

I'd recommend using Arlo Q or Arlo Q Plus. These two are top-notch security cameras that may even exceed Nest Cam in terms of capabilites.

If you don't like the idea of monthly paymetns for cloud storage and enhanced features (Nest Aware), getting either of these two is a wonderful idea.

Alec17
Level 3
Boulder, CO

I may be a bit late to this conversation but here's a link to a useful guide for hosts looking for advice on security cameras. 

10 BEST SECURITY CAMERAS FOR AIRBNB AND SHORT-TERM RENTAL HOSTS

There are various HD security cameras available in the market which different functioning and specifications respectively. You can visit the official web stores or official site of various security camera brands and select camera from there that meets your needs. 

Bobby52
Level 2
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg

Has anyone had any negative reactions by guests for having surveillance outside of the rentals? We have two Kuna lights at each door, I’m curious if that makes renters uncomfortable.

Bronwyn100
Level 7
Hardys Bay, Australia

I use Eufy. Notification straight to my phone. It's illegal in NSW to record audio and privacy prevents it from showing anyone once they enter. There is a warning sign and it is mentioned on my website. I can check the number of guests. 

@Farah1 I use Google Home Nest, they offer high-quality video, night vision, and integration with other Google Home products. But there are a lot of highly recommended outdoor cameras like, Ring, Eufy etc. Each brand offers unique features and varying price points, so it's important to assess what specific needs you have for your Airbnb property and choose accordingly. Remember to also consider the ease of installation, storage options (cloud vs. local), and any ongoing subscription costs. Hope this helps!